Need fritter advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummy tummy

Assistant Cook
Never made fritters. Friend wants zucchini fritters.

found recipe..
i have all the ingredients ready to go ..but need someone to tell me that this will work out well.

1.5 lbs zucchini , grated..
( I did this,used two medium to large zuccini and put in a collander with salt, let sit , then pressed out all the liquid) I imagine I have 2 cups total.
1 tsp salt..used this in the zucchini mix above
1/4 cup all purpose flour ( is this too much ?)
i also have added about 2 tablespoons finely ground breadcrumbs stuffing mix. to absorb any liquid..because i used shredded cheese ( below ) and not parmesan cheese which the recipe called for.
1/4 cup finely shredded cheese
1 large egg, beaten
salt, freshly ground pepper, herbs de province ( pinch)

olive oil to pan fry in medium high heat.
drop by tablespoonsfull (??) onto fry pan, pressing down,
cook 2 mins on a side.

will this work?? will it be moist or dry..
have no idea what i am doing.. mainly the 1.5 pounds of zucchini thing threw me.. but one pound is apparently 3 medium to small zucchini.
i used two medium to large zucchini..

help would be much appreciated.. I have done searches on this site. I went to a foodie blog that one poster recommended.. she used breadcrumbs and not flour..but the recipe i found ( above ) uses flour.

thanks again
yummy

Last edited:
Fritters are usually made as a batter to be dropped into hot oil. It seems your recipe may be short on liquid and I'd add baking powder to lighten them up. Mix it together and see if it has a batter consistency.

how much baking powder?

How much baking powder.?

not to mix too much, right..? something about gluten forming?

I have quite a bit of zucchini..3 cups ( i just grated more ) I can leave this a bit wetter..if required..

I have read other posts at other places and many people say that if it is too soggy, it becomes slimy fritters..

maybe the title is mis named.

could I bake the patties I make in a 450 degree oven for a wwhile instead of frying..??

I make zucchini fritters so they are the consistency of potato pancakes--too dry, add another egg. Too moist, add more flour. I use a potato ricer to really squeeze the moisture out. You should be able to "form" them in your hand (but they will be sticky, but not too sticky). Test a little one before putting all of them in the pan. I usually add about 1/4 tsp of baking powder to the flour. I don't add cheese to mine. I use a quarter cup measuring cup or an ice cream scoop and then flatten them with a spatula or ladle. I usually fry mine in duck fat...you can try putting them on parchment paper (oiled) in the oven and flip them 1/2 way through. It probably would work.

Thank you so much for your post..CWS4322 !!

I am going to take all those details into account in my next batch..

I had to "fly it" ..with just the recipe I had because the folks wanted them for supper...

Basically, it was as you said.. I could form them into 'patties' but they would have been too gooey that way, so i just put heaping tablespoonsfull into a fry pan and mashed them down.. I used coconut oil to fry them in.

They crisped up nicely on the outside, but I found that I had to mash them down because they were a bit gooey inside.. I may add some very very fine breadcrumbs next batch to firm it up a bit.

I also did a test in the oven..425 degrees. I made these patties thicker but reallly should not have- as once again, they did not cook well in the centers.
I ended up flattening them down also.

your advice was spot on..however. i perhaps should have added some flour as my 'batter' ( which really was not as liquidy as true pancake batter ) was a bit moist.

I did add 1/4 tsp baking powder.

The addition of the bit of cheese which I added, in proportion to the other ingredients,did the recipe no harm, although, now that I think of it, may have made the overall batter more liquidy.

Anyway, i try to post my results at a forum where I ask a question, which Is why i am going into this detail, for the benefit of others. They can also read your suggestions, which were great !

oh yes, i added a couple dashes of green tabasco sauce to give the fritters a "kick"...the folks said that they did not need it.
I used 'spike' as my seasoning salt.

no photos.. they were all gobbled up.!

thanks again.
yummy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom