NC vinegar sauce too vinegary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alejandria

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my nc style vinegar bbq sauce that I'm trying to make for pulled pork. I've tried adding whatever I could think of to this sauce, but it honestly, just tastes predominantly like vinegar with stuff added to it.

I know nc bbq sauce is supposed to taste somewhat vinegary, but honestly, the vinegar is overwhelming the rest of the flavors. Is it because I haven't let the sauce sit long enough? or is it supposed to just taste like vinegar? Is there a trick that I'm missing? Or does anyone have any thoughts or recipes?

thanks in advance.

Yes, your sauce will taste like vinegar but it should have some other elements in it i.e.

2 cups apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS packed brown sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt (makes a huge difference so use kosher)
1 TBS Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 – 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 – 2 tsp. black pepper

But YES, vinegar will be the predominant taste. The VERY big HOWEVER, will be that once this sauce is on the bbq it will enhance and not be so strong.

You can also take this very same sauce and chop up some cabbage, green pepper, onion, a bit of carrot, and "marinate" this combination for about 1 hour before serving. Serve ON the sandwich or alongside for an authentic "red slaw".

Oh, and I'm from North Carolina ;)

Now, if you want another vinegar-based type sauce but not so vinegary, let me know.

Welcome to DC....Time will improve it somewhat as the peppers, sugars, or whatever blends together, but it's still gonna taste vinegary.....If you can't get it where it is palatable.. start adding a little water to reduce the acidity...then think about a different sauce/recipe for next time!

Have Fun!

Oh...I'm not from North Carolina, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!:LOL:

Try adding honey, or molasses, apple juice or sometimes I add peach or apricot preserves, I also grate part of an onion - I like the taste but don't want to chew on them. I often buy store bought and doctor because they are vinegary. Read your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ingredient on bottle. If it's tomatoes and vinegar, keep reading other brands. Try mixing likemequite/smokey with some other flavor. I also thin out with some water or apple juice when slow cooking, because it does tend to concentrate the longer you cook and that makes it more intense at the end.
I mostly use Kikkoman's Teriyaki baste & glaze now, but I find that very salty. So I usually thin out with a small can of crushed or chunk pineapple with juice, concentrated frozen lemonade or limeade and add alittle water. I like this with everything from shrimp to chicken, pork, and veggies. For pulled pork though, I stick with the tomato/vinegar base. The acid is what tenderizes the meat.

quicksilver - the sauce he is talking about isn't used to cook the meat in - it's just a finishing sauce after on the plate or "in the bun", but, it can be a basting sauce too. This is also homemade and not store-bought.

I think the #1 thing you have to remember alejandria, is when it's ON your food it won't be as strong and it is what makes Eastern North Carolina barbecue Eastern North Carolina barbecue :ermm:

You can go with a Western North Carolina sauce instead.

The true eastern sauce is simply white vinegar with salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. There's no way around it not tasting vinegary. But on the meat, it is wonderful!

thank you all for all the really quick responses. I think I've gotten to a point where I"m happy with how it currently tastes. But it's really the people that I"m living with that I don't think really understand what they asked for when they asked for a NC sauce. We're trying to replicate a southern bbq up here in Boston but are nostalgic for good ol' NC bbq. It's just one thing I miss after leaving NC.

thank you all for all the really quick responses. I think I've gotten to a point where I"m happy with how it currently tastes. But it's really the people that I"m living with that I don't think really understand what they asked for when they asked for a NC sauce. We're trying to replicate a southern bbq up here in Boston but are nostalgic for good ol' NC bbq. It's just one thing I miss after leaving NC.

It is hard for a lot to wrap their head around. Just like the first time I was asked if I wanted chili and slaw on my hot dog :ohmy:

I guarantee if you cook it they will eat it! LOL You can always take some of it and add more sugar, more ketchup, a little Worcestershire, Heinz, and A-1, garlic and onion powder/salt, and some Texas Pete. Heat everything together for a more red-type sauce but still with an underlying vinegar base.

You might try simmering for a bit. I like to add vinegar to some soups, gives them a bit of pizzazz. But if I do it too early the taste is gone.

Just an idea, good luck.

when i make nc style sauce .. i find that simmering it on the
stove takes alot of the punch out of it ...
and a little bit of sugar ...
good luck ..

this is the one i like .. but i simmer it for about 20 mins.
Carolina Red - Pulled Pork Barbecue Sauce

Last edited:
Guess I've never had NC BBQ. I cook the meat IN - not ON. love2"Q" recipe has ketchup in it. What does that mean?
We All have our version on things and BBQ has to be one of the most varied of them all.

Guess I've never had NC BBQ. I cook the meat IN - not ON. love2"Q" recipe has ketchup in it. What does that mean?
We All have our version on things and BBQ has to be one of the most varied of them all.

love2"Q" has ketchup in her recipe just like my first one does. I'm not sure how to answer your question "what does that mean" except to say that her recipe for her sauce, like mine, has ketchup in it. Did that answer your question?

Yes, there are many versions of BBQ except NC vinegar based bbq ;) - I guess that was my point. The OP was very specific in the style of BBQ.

From ol' North Carolina...
It is supposed to be vinegary!
Cider vinegar, white vinegar, bit of water if you must,
red pepper flakes, pepper, some hot sauce... that's about it.

When you add it to the meat and let it simmer in it for a while,
it does mellow the vinegar taste.

Besides, that's what the slighty sweet cole slaw is for. Eat them together
on a plain white bun. The sweet balances the vinegar very nicely.

Now I'm hungry again, sighhhhh

Back
Top Bottom