MYranade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
You know the simple one, well this is different. This is made for pizza or maybe those sausage sandwiches, which I do make. I'll eat it with just pasta, or even nothing but i don't expect everyone to.

(for eight ounces) First of all I got dried rosemary, I've found nothing on this planet that can grind it and I do not want them stems in there, and fennel seeds well, not so bad but what I do is make a bag out of a coffee filter and boil them in water until the water turns brown. All the favor and none of the grit. And don't throw it out, it can be used a few more times.

Once brown out comes the bag, and if there is any breach filter it, I use a coffee filter.

While it is boiling you are preparing onion and garlic, use a food processor, nobody cares. Once the boiling is done then the smithereens of garlic and onion go in, along with a shot of white wine and olive oil.

Now spices.

1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Celery seed
½ tsp Cayenne pepper ground

Throw in the eight ounce can of SUGAR FREE sauce and the spices on it, mix in best you can. Cook ½-1 hour and THEN salt to taste, sparingly. Also, I use a shallow pan, I have to add water a few times. Think of all the people who have trouble getting their sauce thick. Resorting to cheese or even flour ! They should be keel hauled and drawn and quartered.

How this is VERY spicy - until you put it on something. No matter what, pizza, sandwiches, even pasta.

T

I don't want those hard, dried rosemary twigs in my food either. I use fresh rosemary or I grind the dry one in a mortar and pestle. I get it to powder. Fennel and most other seeds are easier with the mortar and pestle than the rosemary.

I grow rosemary and other woody herbs. Depending on what I'm making, I sometimes cut a sprig or two and just add that to the pan as I'm cooking something. This infuses the food with the flavor and when I remove the sprigs later, most of the leaves come out with it. I've seen lots of cooks on TV put whole fresh sprigs in a sauté as well as in braises.

I can't remember the last time I had dried rosemary. Back in the 80s was when I started growing it, so somewhat before that. I do use those tea balls for that, and other spices, when I just strip the needles from the stems, and just put them in the medium sized one. I have found that the needles tend to fall off the sprigs, esp. when simmered - not as quickly when just sautéed in some oil. Usually, however, I mince up the rosemary with garlic - they are just made for each other!

I usually have fresh rosemary growing. But, when I make a batch of vinaigrette that is supposed to last a few weeks in the fridge, I sometimes use a bit of dry rosemary that I powder before adding. The vinaigrette supposedly lasts longer if all the herbs I add are dry ones.

Back
Top Bottom