My wife picking me up tomatoes from the store.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously you don't grow them. I already have 18 varieties of seeds for next season, all but 6 new ones. Fortunately, many I got by trading - seed prices have gone up a lot, too!
I am thinking about doing some container gardening next season. I like growing Heirloom and beefy tomatoes. Our productive growing season here starts mid May or early June.

I'm particularly picky at buying produce. Especially tomatoes. Love me some tomatoes, but they have to be just right...all varieties. My normal deal is to have either grape or cherry tomatoes for lunch every day. Can't deal with mushy or under ripe ones. Just me.

Potatoes? Love 'em and, perhaps, that's my Irish heritage. Give them to me prepared any way. Fortunately our local Kroger has THE BEST russets, especially the huge ones. Love, love, love their taters!

I agree with DcSaute, Romas are a great tomato, both for cooking and eating fresh. I have a couple of dozen ripening in the laundry room now, and will be served for Christmas dinner.
(They are in the laundry room ripening because we had a freeze predicted, and we stripped the vines.)

To all the red vermouth haters….

Try a Manhattan sometime!
This probably is fine if you have a poor quality Bourbon you need to get rid of, but we wouldn't ruin a good sippin' Bourbon with...sweetness. Himself has been gifted with many fine Bourbons over the years. They each were best all on their own.
Or a Negroni !
There you go, messing with perfectly fine Campari. I specifically bought a small bottle of red Vermouth to make a Negroni. Blech! I love Campari (one ice cube, a little wedge of lime please), but the last time I checked, the 1 litre bottle was $40.

You are perfectly welcome to enjoy those mixed drinks @jennyema but I'm keeping my sippin' Bourbon and liqueur pure.

One of the benefits of having a garden for so many years , is the ability to realize that the most perfect looking tomato isn't always the best tasting tomato. I've seen people toss some perfectly good tomatoes aside just to get to the ' pretty' ones. I get it, but taste is always my #1 concern when cooking. A few blemishes hear and there, no biggie. Some times you have to wonder what kinda crap they're putting on the tomatoes (while growing) to make them look so perfect.

Such a funny thread. The star anise and the star fruit! :LOL: Which tomatoes, OMG, THAT one.:LOL:

Tomatoes at the store are better now than 10 years ago, to me. The romas and tomatoes on the vine seem to be pretty delicious fresh on salads or in salsa right now. We try to make garden tomatoes last as long as possible, but, the fact remains, this is Wisconsin, it's winter, and it's freezing cold, no tomatoes grow up here in winter.

When covid was in full swing I begged mr bliss to let me order online and he could just pick up the order outside the store. He refused. He said that "I'm not having some teenager pick out our vegetables, touching them and not knowing one thing from another." And well, I don't blame him.
Though I must admit I have shown him pictures of some of the things he must buy if he hasn't bought them before.

The funniest story was a long time ago, the inlaws were visiting and she tells him to buy some kikkoman at the store. (soy sauce) He writes it down. When he returned, he'd bought an antacid like prilosec. lol, I guess he couldn't find the kikkoman antacid!

I once sent mr bliss and my son to buy some dill for making pickles and showed a picture of the ferny-foliage. They picked up fennel. Now when I make lists, I add the aisle letter/number, ounces, prices, and when necessary sniff the item.:rolleyes:

This probably is fine if you have a poor quality Bourbon you need to get rid of, but we wouldn't ruin a good sippin' Bourbon with...sweetness. Himself has been gifted with many fine Bourbons over the years. They each were best all on their own.

There you go, messing with perfectly fine Campari. I specifically bought a small bottle of red Vermouth to make a Negroni. Blech! I love Campari (one ice cube, a little wedge of lime please), but the last time I checked, the 1 litre bottle was $40.

You are perfectly welcome to enjoy those mixed drinks @jennyema but I'm keeping my sippin' Bourbon and liqueur pure.

never poor quality bourbon in my house! I have sipping bourbon and mixing bourbon. Just got gifted a very rare and expensive bottle this weekend that I have to save for our summer pool party.

mixed drinks with bourbon are delicious, whether they involve vermouth or not

I order most of my produce from a produce basket place. They usually have really nice produce. Sometimes they have "not so pretty" carrots or other stuff and, well, it's not so pretty, but it's cheaper. I don't often get produce when I'm ordering online from supermarkets, but once in a while I do. The funniest thing was when I ordered celeriac. I thought there was something funny about the weighed price coming out to about 35 cents (They email me the receipt as soon as the order has been rung up.). Well, it was the tiniest beet I have ever seen. I didn't bother asking for a refund on it. Too much effort for 35 cents and I could use it.

Huh?

As in organic chemistry? There is actually a legal definition of organic food and not all tomatoes qualify. Besides, that doesn't explain how all tomatoes are the same.
I bought 2 (two) tomatoes in 2022. They were the same. I have read that tomatoes can be identified as male & female by their blossom. All tomatoes at the grocery are fruit.

Meanwhile, back to vermouth talk…

In May, my dear friend, Tom Bulleit (yes) brought me some very special Bulleit Rye and a bottle of extraordinary red vermouth. It’s at the Cape house but I’ll take a picture of it this weekend and post it here.

This is my title thread tomato story. We were having a large party out back and feeding around 75 guest. dh was going to pick up liquor and I asked him to buy tomatoes. He called from the grocery to say they cost $2.49 lb. We needed 7 or 8 which weighs around 6 lbs. He didn't want to pay for them so he brought jalapenos instead!

Back
Top Bottom