My take on Fresh Figs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
IN all of the many placers I've been in the world, I truly am still being introduced to new-to-me, and delicious foods. I was. given one of those foods yesterday, a fresh and juicy, ripe fig.

I grew up loving Fig Newtons, and had had canned fig. Both of them had the consistency of, well, dates, somewhat sticky, chewy, with an almost paste-like texture, and of course the little, crunchy seeds. When I was offered the fresh fruit, cold from the fridge, I dint know what to expect.

The fruit was the size of a large plum, and felt about the same in my hand. I took a bit and was rewarded by a sweet, soft flesh, with a slightly tart skin, again, similar in texture to a ripe plumb. It was juicy, cold, and delicious, and with no stone. The little seeds were there, and offered a delightful little crunch against the soft, fibrous flesh.

If you have never eaten a ripe, cold fig, you owe it to yourself to try them. I believe that figs are possibly one of the most underrated fruits available on supermarket shelves.

Now, if only I could get my hands on pawpaw.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

They are a lovely fruit, just quite expensive at the store, here in Canada. The bright red of the inside surprised me. I was lucky enough to taste this delicious fruit on vacation in Spain.

Right now figs are a buck a piece if I can find them. When they're more reasonably priced, I buy a couple for each of us, wrap them with prociutto, cut an "x" mark on the point and stuff it with goat cheese, and pop into the toaster oven for about 8 minutes. When they come out, I drizzle a little bit of honey over the top. Delicious!

I've eaten figs all my life because my grandma had a fig tree that covered an acre. My fig tree is a long way from an acre. I think we need to go into the fig business... a buck a fig? Forget those grapes.

Love fresh figs. (especially the yellow ones). Definitely among one of my favorite fruits.

I have 5 fig trees in my yard , had 3 figs last year. Wrapped them up and they survived the winter with all their branches intact and vital. Leaves emerged on time, but no signs of any figs on the trees this year ( very disappointing ).

I have a bunch of paw paw trees which flower but never fruit ( Ive never tried a paw paw, but maybe one day my tree will bless me with some fruit).

Years back, my wife and I were at a historical home in the south, and in their gardens was a row of fig trees, with tons of ripe figs on them. We were your and stupid, and I looked at my wife , and she had that mischievous look in her eye. I turned around then glanced back and she was gone. Turns out, when the tour guide wasn't lookin, she disappeared into the fi tree and gobbled up a bunch. I was ashamed and embarrassed, so I went into the tree to tell her, and gobbled up a bunch myself. Definitely ate enough figs to cover the cost of admission for both of us. Not the right thing to do, but we still laugh about it to this day.

Love figs, but like any fruits in Minnesota, they are never ripe in the store and thus do not taste as good as they should. Really miss the taste of fresh, ripe fig.

Back
Top Bottom