MY Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Sunday gravy was the tomato sauce that cooked all day (traditionally started Sunday morning and left to simmer while everyone went to church) with sausage and meatballs in it. Italians in New Jersey call it that.

It's the same in most of the United States. Italian Americans in the northeast call it Sunday gravy, sometimes gravy for short.
+1!

That's what my Italian New Jersey mom and aunts did every Sunday. Gravy bread was a treat while waiting for dinner to be served. Put some bread on a plate and top with gravy and grated cheese.

If you go into a grocery store in any predominately Italian location anywhere in this country you will find prepared meatball mix, which is 2 parts ground beef, one part ground pork and one part ground veal. Where I live I need to buy the ground beef, pork and veal separately and combine it my own damn self, add fresh, not dry, bread crumbs, eggs, sautéd onions, and various herbs and spices, roll the mixture into balls about the size of a pool ball, and bake them in the oven. Now days I cook them in the air fryer.

Last edited:
It's the same in most of the United States. Italian Americans in the northeast call it Sunday gravy, sometimes gravy for short.
If it's just the sauce it is called Sunday sauce. If it contains meat, it is called Sunday gravy. Trust me, I'm Sicilian, born and raised in Western New York. I know these things!

Last edited:
So in other words, sauce is any food in liquid form, either thick or thin, that is used on/over/stirred/mixed into, other foods.

If served alone in a fairly thin consistency it is called soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom