My new chopper setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
I’ve been in Thailand for the past 3 months and saw some heavy cleavers down at the weekend market, decided to buy one and a chopping block. It’s a super heavy cleaver with a thick 3/16” spine that should easily chop through bone, chopping block is also very heavy and made out of very dense tamarind wood, $6 for the cleaver and $3 for the block. I have a cleaver back at home but it’s wimpy compared to this heavy beast, I will relegate the cleaver at home to a slicing cleaver and let this thing do my chopping.

When I got back to the house I googled the brand name aranyik and found that they are hand hammer forged in a small village just north of me, although crude looking they say the quality is very good andv I see the cleavers selling online for $35 and the blocks for $45, gonna go back this weekend to grab a few more pieces before coming home next week.

2mzeis6.jpg

352nmg7.jpg

Wow, nice. Looks like you're having a great trip.

Do you know what those curvy knives in the middle row are used for?

Last edited:
I think they’re used for harvesting rice and cutting grass

I’ve been in Thailand for the past 3 months and saw some heavy cleavers down at the weekend market, decided to buy one and a chopping block. It’s a super heavy cleaver with a thick 3/16” spine that should easily chop through bone, chopping block is also very heavy and made out of very dense tamarind wood, $6 for the cleaver and $3 for the block. I have a cleaver back at home but it’s wimpy compared to this heavy beast, I will relegate the cleaver at home to a slicing cleaver and let this thing do my chopping.

When I got back to the house I googled the brand name aranyik and found that they are hand hammer forged in a small village just north of me, although crude looking they say the quality is very good andv I see the cleavers selling online for $35 and the blocks for $45, gonna go back this weekend to grab a few more pieces before coming home next week.

2mzeis6.jpg

352nmg7.jpg
Will you get them through customs when you go back home? We don't want to have to be sending you home-made lemon drizzle cakes and ginger biscuits while you're in "clink"

Last edited:
Choppers, dentures. You're probably a little young for new choppers. So am I and I'm twice your age.

Back
Top Bottom