My Meyer Lemon Tree got itself another year.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I bought this thing close to a decade ago. When I got it it had about 6 or 7 lemons on its already. They eventually matured, and I harvested them. I was excited cause its was the first successful citrus harvest I ever had. Since then, it flowers significantly, the house smells great, but no fruit . I think once I got a single fruit. Its did have a companion, which died last year. Anyway, over the summer, it had 2 flowers. In the past I hand pollinated ( obviously unsuccessfully), bit this year I put the flowering tree near the Bee house. The flowers dropped, so I figured no success. When I bring it inside it is very messy as the hundreds of dried flowers drop along with many leaves due to the shock. I finally gave the tree an ultimatum. No fruit, you spend the winter in the garage and what ever happens, happens . To my delight I found this grape sized fruit on the plant. Hopefully it matures. Im afraid the season change, and going from outside to inside may shock the plant and drop the fruit.

Attachments

• Myer Lemon.png
    Myer Lemon.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm so glad you had 'the talk' with the tree. Then it produced a lemon for you as an answer. You've had it for a long time!

Glad to hear you finally got something on it!

I never heard about these kind of trees needing another plant, to pollinate them, like they often say about tomatillos and some nuts, that are self-incompatible.

I've seen/ read that although self pollinating, still increasing the yield of you have a second. When I bought it/ them, they were cheap enough to just get two. One always looked better than the other ( thats the one that ultimately survived). I was actually planning on repotting and heavily pruning it , but now with a fruit on it, I don't want to mess with its current status in fear of losing the one fruit it has ( which will probably drop once I bring it in for the winter).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom