My journey..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ardchoille

Senior Cook
Greetings,
My name is Ian MacGregor and I am a new member.

Fifteen years ago or so I weighed 275 pounds, my doctor told me to lose weight if I ever wanted to see retirement. Today I weigh 140 pounds. Those numbers aren't typos, I began eating healthier and the weight just started falling off.

My diet over the past ten years has been vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, legumes, and water. I occasionally eat meat but I am very picky about what I eat and I try to steer clear of processed foods. I have fallen completely and helplessly in love with hummus, great stuff, and I'm beginning to like Mediterranean food.

I have become very interested in cooking lately, so I joined these forums to learn as much as possible.

Thanks for having me :)

Welcome to DC! I myself have lost 80# over the last 1-1/2 years. No special diet, just eating less. Where is Steve K when you need his input?

Welcome to DC! I cut white sugar, pasta, and bread out of my diet 3-4 years ago. It wasn't to lose weight, but rather to gain energy. I eat my large meal in the morning. I have shrunk from a size 12/14 ladies to a size 6/8 ladies. The only thing that bugs me is people asking me how I stay so slim. I was also surprised that my feet shrunk. I don't miss sugar. I sometimes (about 4 times a year) make pasta. I test drive recipes for a company once a week that are developed by chefs. They use a lot of butter! And pasta.

Welcome to DC, I am on a Low Carb, High Fat Diet that has gotten me off my diabetes medications and cut my blood pressure meds in half.

Thank you folks for the kind welcomes!

Welcome to DC! I myself have lost 80# over the last 1-1/2 years. No special diet, just eating less. Where is Steve K when you need his input?

Welcome to DC! I cut white sugar, pasta, and bread out of my diet 3-4 years ago. It wasn't to lose weight, but rather to gain energy. I eat my large meal in the morning. I have shrunk from a size 12/14 ladies to a size 6/8 ladies. The only thing that bugs me is people asking me how I stay so slim. I was also surprised that my feet shrunk. I don't miss sugar. I sometimes (about 4 times a year) make pasta. I test drive recipes for a company once a week that are developed by chefs. They use a lot of butter! And pasta.

I admire you two for having the courage to make positive life changes. Kudos!

Thank you folks for the kind welcomes!

I admire you two for having the courage to make positive life changes. Kudos!
I just wanted more energy (didn't know I wasn't processing vit B12 at the time). I did it as an experiment for 30 days--I started eating most of my calories in the a.m. and before 3 p.m. (upside down pyramid). I was surprised I shrunk a clothes size in 3 weeks. And, I had a lot more energy. I've continued that. And portion control is key, and no processed foods. I do eat a lot of protein. I am a protein junky. I don't eat a lot of complex carbs, but eat a lot of veggies and fruit. And I suffer no guilt drinking whole milk or using butter.

A little more of my journey. A few months ago I went in for a physical checkup and the following were the results:

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 140 pounds
Blood pressure: 112 over 80
Medications: none
Medical concerns: none
Allergies: none

I feel great now.. except that I need to learn more about cooking.

I just wanted more energy (didn't know I wasn't processing vit B12 at the time). I did it as an experiment for 30 days--I started eating most of my calories in the a.m. and before 3 p.m. (upside down pyramid). I was surprised I shrunk a clothes size in 3 weeks. And, I had a lot more energy. I've continued that. And portion control is key, and no processed foods. I do eat a lot of protein. I am a protein junky. I don't eat a lot of complex carbs, but eat a lot of veggies and fruit. And I suffer no guilt drinking whole milk or using butter.

Yes, portion control is the key. I used to be able to eat an entire large pizza at one sitting, but my meals are no larger than my fist these days. Fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and water are my favorites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom