My Favorite Egg Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have enjooyed many egg dishes in my life, from delicate, lofty souflies, to bacon grease basted fried eggs with crispy edges, to American style omelets, filled with meat, cheese,crispy hash browns, and cheese, peppers, etc. to frttatas, egg foo yung, deviled eggs, poached eggs, well you get the picture. However. my all time favorite eggdish is a proper French Omelet. Here's how I make mine.

First, I'm not a huge fan of Kraft American Cheese slices. They aren't even real cheese, But they are just right for this omelet as the melt creamy smooth, and don't overpower the wonderful egg flavor, but compliment it.

Ingredients:
1 large, fresh egg, with deep orange yolks
1 pinch Kosher dalt
1 pich fine ground black pepper'
2 tbs heavy cream
1 slice American cheese, broken into 2 equal halves
2 tbs. butter

Heat non-stick pan, with rounded sides, over medium heat. Add butter to the pan and swirl to coat. Beat remaining ingredients, except the cheese together in a bowl When the butter is bubbling, pou the egg mixture into the pa. Swirl The egg to coat the pan bottom. Gently shake the pan forward and back to allow the unset egg to roll off of the top of the omelet and onto the pan. When the omelet is shiny on top, an still barely wet, lay the cheese to cover half of the omelet. Slide the omelet from the pan to a plate, folding one half over the other. Let the omelet sit for 1 minute to let the residual heat finnish setting the egg. Serve with your favorite beverage, and a toasted English muffin with butter and honey, or jam

Ok, what is your favorite egg dis, where the egg is the star?

Seeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

For me it would be Eggs Benedict, but rather than a poached egg, one pan fried in butter (in a silicone ring), and then a splash of water added around the ring and covered. The yolk is just as runny as poached, with a bit more flavor… and the ring keeps it muffin sized.

This comes in second only to a scramble egg burrito with chorizo, hash browns, cheddar, and salsa… of which I am not sure the egg is the star.

That is hard to choose - I had so many favorite combinations in omelettes when I used to make omelettes on a regular basis, it would be hard to find a favorite! However, one omelette that I make every spring, when I start getting some of my perennial herbs popping up: Omelette de Fines Herbes. This is a favorite omelette of mine, which is simple - just an equal amount of minced tarragon, pasley, and chives, beaten into the eggs, with a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Also some chervil in the classic recipe, but I don't grow that. I also make a variation of it with Thai basil, in place of the tarragon - another source of anise flavor, which I like even better.

Cheese souffle hands down! Chiefs omelet might be a close second followed by deviled eggs as a distant 3rd.

Here's my recipe for cheese souffle:
Oven: Preheat to 375

1. Prepare baking dish. 1 ½ quart straight-sided souffle dish. Butter bottom and foil cuff. Leave sides unbuttered.
  2. Separate eggs and set aside.
  3. Prepare bechamel. In large saucepan combine butter and flour and briefly cook. Add milk and stir to thicken. Remove from heat and cool for few minutes.
  4. Whisk egg yolks to ribbon stage and stir into sauce along with cayenne/mustard, salt, and nutmeg.
  5. Whip whites to stiff glossy peaks adding cream of tartar part way through whipping.
  6. Add cheese to sauce, reserving a small quantity for topping.
  7. Fold whites by thirds into sauce. Do not over fold - a few lumps are fine.
  8. Pour mixture into prepared dish and bake for about 40 minutes. Do NOT open oven door during cooking. Serve immediately.

Ingredients

3 T butter
3 T flour
1 C milk
4 egg yolks (room temp)
5 egg whites
4 oz grated cheddar cheese
2 oz grated gruyere
1/4 tsp cayenne or dried mustard
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Serves 2-3 people

Last edited:
Egg yolk in an over easy or poached egg is one of the most amazing texture/flavor around! I often cook eggs and trim off most of the whites and just enjoy the yolks.

Poached has to be my favourite.
Over toast/muffin/whatever, often with onions and mushrooms sauted, or with asparagus or tomato or spinach wedged in between the egg and the toast.

And of course farm fresh eggs - Gonna miss those in Waterdown. Gotta find a source and buy them:ohmy::(!

Only time I buy eggs is when I want to make devilled eggs. :LOL:

Janet H - have copied and saved your Cheese Souffle! Thanks!
I'll have to list that in "Never Have I Ever.... " :idea:

I'm not familiar with "creamed eggs". Can you fill me in, please? :)

Ross

I would call them similar to Eggs Goldenrod, except with creamed eggs, the cooked (generally hard-boiled) yolks and whites are creamed together. I don't want to repeat word-for-word any recipes here, but look up "creamed eggs over toast" and there are lots of recipes out there. It's so good!

Attachments

• Creamed_Eggs.jpg
    Creamed_Eggs.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 112
I would call them similar to Eggs Goldenrod, except with creamed eggs, the cooked (generally hard-boiled) yolks and whites are creamed together. I don't want to repeat word-for-word any recipes here, but look up "creamed eggs over toast" and there are lots of recipes out there. It's so good!
You can post a link if you want to.

Thank you for the information.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
That's kinda interesting. A simple egg gravy. Jeannie might like that. :)

Ross

It's something I treat myself with once in a while. It's pretty simple, really. I don't even follow a recipe anymore. I just make a nice white sauce, add salt & pepper and a dash of dried mustard (from the first ever recipe I found of this dish many years ago) then add in the chopped egg, heat it through and pour it over 2 pieces of toast. You could also use biscuits.

Now that I think about it, one of my favorite dishes from childhood was Eggs a la Goldenrod, the creamed egg dish mentioned above. My mother was a dreadful cook but she could make that dish.

Now that I think about it, one of my favorite dishes from childhood was Eggs a la Goldenrod, the creamed egg dish mentioned above. My mother was a dreadful cook but she could make that dish.

Glad you got to enjoy that.

Another favorite of mine is deviled eggs. In fact, I think I'll make some to take for lunch tomorrow. They're yummy sprinkled with Everything Bagel seasoning.

I also love goldenrod eggs over toast or even rice. I think this is also called Eggs Beauregard?

2 eggs
2 slices of bread, toasted (or english muffins)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

• Hard Boil eggs and peel
  • Make 1 C white sauce (roux of butter and flour and stir in milk, cook until thickened).
  • Chop eggs whites into sauce
  • Serve over toast
  • Using box grater, shred the yolks over the top (use the small holes for nicest presentation).

Sprinkle chopped chives or parsley.

Making this for dinner tonight!

Goldenrod is delicious as well. Usually I just chop the white and the yolk together and add it to the sauce, but once I made it the Goldenrod way by grating the yolks over the dish.

Eggs Goldenrod with maple sausage links. I didn't add anything decorative to make it pretty, but it sure tasted good.

Attachments

• Eggs Goldenrod Mine.jpg
    Eggs Goldenrod Mine.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom