My DH’s Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope he's OK. Most people don't like to admit they can no longer do what they did when they were younger. He may have assumed the pacemaker would take care of any issues.
sounds like me. I keep saying I hope I will know/recognize when I can no longer....
but I also know no one wants to lose their autonomy, myself included.

No guys, I'm afraid DH will not take a life lesson from this scary incident, just too much of a stubborn-hard headed-don't tell me what to do-MAN! (sorry guys, not you, just him).
So, I let him go about life in his fantasy world until it finally hits him square in the face - that's the only way it works with him. In my soft, calming voice, I say "what did you think was going to happen?"

You folks are from HI now living in AZ. Just curious as where dh got his snow gear (coat, gloves, SNOW SHOVEL)? When we have first of the season snow forecast, stores set out snow shovels. I'm hoping he was not moving snow around with a broom but it can be done.

Hoping all is better today.

You folks are from HI now living in AZ. Just curious as where dh got his snow gear (coat, gloves, SNOW SHOVEL)?...
I'm guessing that you have never been to Arizona. While it is rare to see snow in Tucson (a couple inches on Tuesday?) or Scottsdale (snow on Friday), the Flagstaff area actually has winter sports resorts:

You folks are from HI now living in AZ. Just curious as where dh got his snow gear (coat, gloves, SNOW SHOVEL)? When we have first of the season snow forecast, stores set out snow shovels. I'm hoping he was not moving snow around with a broom but it can be done.

Hoping all is better today.
@cookiecrafter we've lived in Arizona since 2007 and got all over the Country, so we've added to our wardrobe over the years.
And yes, he's much better today, thank you.
I've seen people use leaf blowers to get the snow off their cars. I actually use a broom for that.
@larry_stewart I never thought to use the leaf blower!
Wow! He's lucky. I would sound like a screeching banshee. Reminscent of cartoons. Just waiting for someone to use those exact same words on me.... see the Weather, :oops::rolleyes:
@dragnlaw I've found over the many, many, MANY years with DH that getting angry and yelling makes matters worse... it works much better to take a deep breath, calm myself and then softly, quietly, explain to DH why he's a DUMB A$$!
😆

OKAY!
So I am waiting on one more claim to be processed with our secondary medical insurance company that covers us from back home in Hawaii.

I started a spread sheet to keep track of everything and holy cow!

The grand total is SIX FIGURES!
And I'm not talkin' about low 6, we're looking mid-range ... AND to top that all off,
I still have not seen any claims filed for DH's
TWO, yes TWO ambulance rides.
When I looked up what those should cost, :poop:, it's a good thing we have insurance!
I don't want them to get stiffed on what is owed them, but if they don't file their claim within 1 year from date of service, they can't collect anything! And they were such great guys.

*Side note: I saw the ambulance crew in the supermarket the other day! I stopped them and thanked them for all that they did for DH. They were so kind and asked after him ... they remembered him, I'm mean who wouldn't given the rare condition he suffers from. They said that they weren't sure that he was going to make it and that he really should have been flown, not a ground transport down to Phoenix, he was that bad off.... I started to cry yet again and they all gave me a group hug. Such great guys!

This little journey of his could very easily have bankrupt us, as I know it has happened to others, like DH's good friend from his hometown that also lives here in Cowboyville. Similar thing happened to him and he had NO MEDICAL ISSURANCE!
o_O

Plenty of insured people end up bankrupt, cleaning out their retirement accounts, selling their home, end up on Medicaid, living near the poverty level for the rest of their lives. The culture we live in is capitalistic, they (medical professionals) worked hard to get their education and provide services. There are plenty of companies working with hospitals to buy up the debts at high interest rates for the patients. Apparently there is no shame in all of it, without limits.

it is the people with modest means and without insurance that are supporting the medical field. been there. enough income to not qualify for anything, not enough income to carry insurance, absolutely not possible to pay 'uninsured' medical bills.

don't pay? the lawyers/debt collectors will come for your first born.

anyone with private or Medicare/type insurance gets a statement:
here's the amount the doctor billed:
here's the amount we/Medicare approved:
here's the amount we/Medicare paid:
here's the amount you owe:

the differences are staggering -
- I was hospitalized, tab came to ~$150k, Medicare approved 15%, paid less than that, left me with $6k "you owe" (over 5 years ago - amounts today would be ~double) - $5 asprin tablet, administered `in a $7 paper cup - this is not a joke, I have the itemized charges . . .

- visit/treatment for AMD: billed $1,928.50, "approved" $360.33

the entire medical system of costs is totally broken.

uhmmm. who is "your"?
people who pay their bills don't have lobbyists . . .

uhmmm. who is "your"?
people who pay their bills don't have lobbyists . . .
You are absolutely right... people who pay their bills don't need lobbyists for medical support.
People who need medical support but who cannot afford to pay the bills, do need lobbyists.

'who is "your"? I am Canadian and we have a Medicare system that is absolutely not perfect but if you don't have insurance - it does mean you do not go without medical treatment, nor do you have to sell your first born into slavery in order to have that treatment.
By "your" I was referring to the American Medical system that people were talking about in earlier posts.

You are absolutely right... people who pay their bills don't need lobbyists for medical support.
People who need medical support but who cannot afford to pay the bills, do need lobbyists.

'who is "your"? I am Canadian and we have a Medicare system that is absolutely not perfect but if you don't have insurance - it does mean you do not go without medical treatment, nor do you have to sell your first born into slavery in order to have that treatment.
By "your" I was referring to the American Medical system that people were talking about in earlier posts.
People who can't pay their medical bills certainly can't afford to pay for lobbyists. Insurance companies hire lobbyists to maintain the status quo so their revenues and profits don't go down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom