Ms. Mofet's All-Purpose House Blend Seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ms. Mofet's All-Purpose House Blend Seasoning

Granulated Garlic powder (NOT the fine powder that looks like flour)
Granulated Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning (I usually use equal amounts of the one with pepper and the one with lemon)
Ground peppercorns (rainbow blend of peppercorns)
Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika
*Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika
*Ground red pepper flakes
*Cayenne
Salt - your choice - Optional
Accent (or MSG) - Optional
White vinegar powder or Apple cider vinegar powder (go easy, add a little at a time and taste till you get it to your liking) - Optional

*NOTE: These 3 ingredients determine the heat level, adjust (or omit) to your personal heat preference.

Add all to taste; shake/mix well.
Taste and adjust to your preference.
Store in a shaker bottle with a tight-fitting lid.

Additional Optional Ingredients added to specific foods:

Smoked Paprika - Grilled/Roasted foods
Poultry Seasoning - Poultry/Pork
Old Bay or other like seasoning blends - Seafood/Fish

"Bump"
I don't believe I've ever heard or seen White Vinegar nor Apple Cider vinegar in powder form.
Anybody else?

msmofet, in the spice aisle of the grocer's??

Make your own vinegar powder.. https://tastecooking.com/vinegar-now-powder-form/
I might have to try that. I use vinegar nearly every day but it would be nice to have a stronger powdered form.

Another option to add that spike of acid to a seasoning mix is the dried lemon or lime. Pure Lemon (available w/o sugar at some grocery stores)

Both the dried lemon powder and dried vinegar powders (of all kinds of vinegar) are available on amazon.

"Bump"
I don't believe I've ever heard or seen White Vinegar nor Apple Cider vinegar in powder form.
Anybody else?

msmofet, in the spice aisle of the grocer's??
I got them here: You get free shipping and a free sample with your order.

I got some powdered balsamic vinegar, from a spice company years ago. It isn't quite the same flavor, but it adds the flavor, when you want it without all the liquid.

Thanks for all the leads, guys.

Many times US companies don't, or can't ship foodstuffs into Canada. Often I can find them but not always.

Thanks for all the leads, guys.

Many times US companies don't, or can't ship foodstuffs into Canada. Often I can find them but not always.
Doesn't Amazon have a Canadian site?

I don't really understand the use of garlic granules or onion granules. Why would you use these instead of just fresh garlic or onion? (I have had both by the way - but they just sat gathering dust until they passed their use-by date!)

Not being critical - they just don't appear in UK recipes.

Yyes, of course. I have to be careful when I follow a link and think "oh that's great, I'll order it!" and then the tax & duty masters step in....

On the odd occasion, depending on where the "originating" country is - even ordering it from a Canadian site, we might still have to pay duty. LOL - always read the fine print!

Katy, msmofet is making a seasoning blend to keep in the cupboard to use when wanted. It is a dry mix - seasoned salt? if you wish?

Oh yes, I totally understand that Dragn, but I see onion and garlic granules in a lot of US recipes.

I suppose it is no different really, to my use of dried herbs? I don't have tons of herbs growing in my garden and can't always get what I want fresh, so I am happy to use dried versions. (Just not as a garnish of course!)

yeah, not everyone has fresh garlic, nor even onions for that matter, on hand. I know before I really got into cooking it was usually granules/powders on hand.
so depending on the cook, ease of execution, speed, I'm sure there are other reasons beyond my ken, ahh what the heck - how about laziness? Garlic is really sticky an onions make you cry.

Ha ha!! So true! I have a garlic bulb (half used) currently. And also a jar of minced garlic in the fridge! (Lazy Garlic). SOOO useful! ;)

Powdered onion powder and garlic powder aren't just convenient. I use both when I make a big batch of vinaigrette. Since the powders are not introducing water into the oil and vinegar mix, they keep better. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping fresh garlic in an oily mix, in my fridge for more than a week. When I make use of dry powders, that vinaigrette is fine for about four weeks.

I mostly used fresh onions and garlic, though the garlic was minced and frozen, so it's easy to use. Then we changed our eating to whole food plant based. Now I use a lot of dry garlic and onion granules and larger amounts of herbs and spices. I use it in no oil mushroom gravy, in a cheese-like sauce (many varieties of it), italian dressing, tomato dressing, caesar dressing, 1000 island dressing, oil free mashed potatoes, to season baked brown potatoes, tofu lemon garlic cream, and like-meat products.

I don't really understand the use of garlic granules or onion granules. Why would you use these instead of just fresh garlic or onion? (I have had both by the way - but they just sat gathering dust until they passed their use-by date!)

Not being critical - they just don't appear in UK recipes.
I don't like biting into raw onions and garlic, so when I'm making something like tuna or potato salad, I use the granulated forms instead. For cooked applications, sometimes I use both because they have different flavors and textures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom