Most Intense Chicken & Veggie Soup With Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Especially for Ginny, when you feel well enough to tackle homemade chicken soup.

Intense Chicken Vegetable Soup
This recipe comes from a good friend, and was modified by me to make it even richer in texture, and flavor.. I told him about this cookbook and he excitedly asked if I would include his wife's chicken soup recipe. He stated that it is incredible. After looking it over, and trying it, I understand why.

His soup had no noodles, no dumplings, no grains of any kind. It is simply the wonderful taste of chicken mixed with the complementary flavors of fresh vegetables and herbs. It is a very good soup, soup guaranteed to please.

i added dumplings, and some other ingredients, as I adore dumplings.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cut up fresh chicken
  • 2 lb. fresh chicken wings 6 quarts water, 2‑3 carrots (sliced), 2‑3 stalks celery (sliced)
  • 5 chicken feet (provides rich collagen)
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 1 cup broccoli (diced)
  • 1 tbs. chicken bullion
  • 4 fresh green onions (sliced)
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground sage
  • 1/2 tsp. celery salt.
  • Optional: Add 2 cans diced tomatoes and 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro.

Dumplings
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz.) whole milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted

Cover chicken feet with cold water and 2 tbs. of bullion, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium (low boil). Add chicken and boil another ten minutes. Add veggies. Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes, then remove chicken. De‑bone chicken after it cools, and return meat to soup.

Add additional water and bullion as needed (be careful; too much bullion will make it taste salty.)

To cook the dumplings, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Add milk, butter, and egg. Mix until a smooth dough is formed. It will be sticky. After the soup has been simmering for 30 minutes, use a portioner to scoop dumpling batter, and drop onto the soup. Cover pot and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

Let guests salt & pepper to taste.
This soup is versatile. You can add additional seasonings like parsley, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf, etc. My Mother-in-Law used to put a 1 inch cube of a creamy melting cheese in the middle of her dumplings. She called them "Bags of Gold". This soup will make you feel so cozy, and warm. Enjoy

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Looks good, Chief, but the flour is missing for the dumplings. I thought it was me, but I read it 2 more times, including the rest of the recipe, but to no avail. So how much is in there?

Thanks!

Oops:ohmy:. That should have read 11/2 cups AP flour, and 2 tsp. baking powder' My head must have been somewhere else while I was typing.:wacko::ROFLMAO:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom