More Pizza dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roby

Assistant Cook
I have tried several dough's recipes they all come out more like a bread.
I would like mine to come out more like the crust from the Hut or Caesars.

I saw a recipe that used half the yeast would that work?
I guess I don't want it to be like I made it from a bread dough.

1 package (.25 ounce size) dry active yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 1/3 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for dough)
4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

How will you cook your pizza? In a conventional home oven? Andy M.'s link provides some good info!

About a year ago, I purchased a gas pizza oven. I love it. But all I've really been using are recipes for Neapolitan pizza dough. We tend to like them a lot. I do one that is "quick" and I do a more traditional recipe with a cold proofing method. Both are the more "purist" of pizza doughs, so 00 flour, yeast, salt, water. So, we've kind of gotten stuck and I've not yet branched out into NY, Detroit or Chicago. The pizza I make is more like MOD Pizza, and cooks in about 90-120 seconds or so, in the gas pizza oven.

Anyway, maybe we can make recommendations if you give us more info? Type of oven you'll use, pan or stone, lots of toppings, minimal toppings? Is there a particular "style" of pizza you like? Please forgive me if "the Hut or Caesars" should be enough info?

I don't have a pizza stone. More than likely should have one. Or use my cast iron fry pan. Or on the gas grill.

I put them in the oven at about 500 deg.
Or on a black stone griddle.
I know not Ideal but it is what is here.
Don't have room for a pizza oven.
Toppings-- Pepperoni, Italian sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, Tomato sausage, cheese.

I don't have a pizza stone. More than likely should have one. Or use my cast iron fry pan. Or on the gas grill.

I put them in the oven at about 500 deg.
Or on a black stone griddle.
I know not Ideal but it is what is here.
Don't have room for a pizza oven.
Toppings-- Pepperoni, Italian sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, Tomato sausage, cheese.

Hey, that's okay! I totally get it, you've got what you've got. That said, I'm doubtful that you'll be able to re-create your Hut or Caesar's style crust, at home. You do not need a stone for a cast iron pan pizza. I suggest that you do some www searches for "skillet pizza" and see if any of them strike your fancy? You might also try Bisquick for their "Impossible Pizza Pie"...I like that one too and the recipe for sauce that goes with it has been a longtime favorite at our house!

If you do want to try cooking on a stone, with or without a pizza oven (mine is on my back porch, right next to my gas grill), you'll need the stone AND you'll need a good pizza peel too. I suggest that a metal peel is easier to help master the art of launching the pizza onto the hot stone...and a little semolina flour helps too! I understand that some folks use a cookie sheet instead of a stone...but you'll still need that peel to build your pizza and then launch onto the cookie sheet.

Do let us know how things work out?

Little Caesars, at least here on the West Island of Montreal, QC uses cast iron skillets to make their pizzas. This implies to me that you should be able to get that style of crust in your cast iron pan.

Little Caesars, at least here on the West Island of Montreal, QC uses cast iron skillets to make their pizzas. This implies to me that you should be able to get that style of crust in your cast iron pan.

Hmmm...in that case, Roby, do a www search for "copycat little Caesars recipe". And same for the Hut?

One of the recipes in the article Andy posted is for a skillet pizza. You cook it under the broiler and then finish it on the stovetop. Sounds good to me.

Do you have a charcoal grill? I have a Webber Kettle. I load it with a solid bed of lump charcoal, stretch my pizza dough thinly into my 11 inch cast iron pan that has a couple tbs. of butter, mixed with cooking oil on the pan surface. I add sauce, toppings, and cheese. By the time my pizza is ready to be cooked, the coals are screaming hot. I place my pan onto the the cooking grate, make sure al vents are wide open, and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.

The crust is not puffy, and has a nice crispy crunch, as it literally fries as it bakes. Bonus, you get a smoky flavor that enhances the pizza.

I make pretty good pizza in the oven. I make great pizza on the Webber.:chef:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don´t know whether this will help or not, but here goes.
I haven´t got a pizza stone, or a special pizza oven; just a crummy electric stove with an electric oven, which heats up to 550°F. The first time we made pizzas when we moved to this house , about 10 years ago, I wasn´t happy; the crust wasn´t crispy enough, the topping was semi-raw, etc, etc.
Then I discovered some large ceramic tiles in the garage, so I cleaned them up and put them in the oven to make pizzas - aka, pizza stones. Heated the tiles up first, then prepared the pizzas. Better results, but not perfect.
THEN I thought " what if I cook the pizza base for a minute or two first, and then add the topping? That worked! The thing is, a professional pizza oven , especially the wood-fired ones, probably reaches 700-800°, so the base cooks faster.
As for the topping, my only advice is to not go crazy. Minimalist is the key;
don´t pile loads of stuff on top because it won´t cook, it´ll just make the pizza soggy.

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
-----

You are not using enough oil, in fact when you use enough you kinda want olive oil.

If it is too tough try adding a little sugar. Be careful, too much and you turn it into a pastry. I would NOT go up to double the amount now listed.

Another thing to try, and this is a deep dark secret, take a spray bottle with melted butter and spray the whole thing. Not stuff in the store, buy an empty spray bottle, they are cheap.

I'll not mention it again.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom