Monday, February 27, 2023, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I've been buying those frozen bag meals that you add water or broth to and cook at home in a skillet or microwave primarily so Craig can cook them and I don't have to cook. I buy them when they are on BOGO primarily so if they aren't great then not much of a loss.

Tonight was Bird's Eye Garlic Chicken. It was edible but that's about the best you could say. There was very little chicken, and they were tiny pieces. Moderate amount of rotini pasta. Large amount of carrots and broccoli, though most of the broccoli was stems. Moderate amount of corn. No garlic taste. Predominant taste was carrots. I had him add about an extra 1/8 cup water last few minutes because there was supposed to be a light sauce and I could hear the pan had cooked dry when he lifted the lid to stir.

I guess if you chopped up some onions and garlic, cooked them a little, stirred in a chopped chicken breast or thigh, then proceeded with the bag, it might be good but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying the bag.

Verdict was to NOT buy again.

20230227_173851.jpg

Have you ever tried the "stir fry" fresh veggie mixes in the produce department, @medtran49? We've tried a few of them and they are not bad. You can add your own protein too. Sadly, many/most of them include broccoli and DH cannot eat broccoli.

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight. Still pondering...

I've been buying those frozen bag meals that you add water or broth to and cook at home in a skillet or microwave primarily so Craig can cook them and I don't have to cook. I buy them when they are on BOGO primarily so if they aren't great then not much of a loss.

Tonight was Bird's Eye Garlic Chicken. It was edible but that's about the best you could say. There was very little chicken, and they were tiny pieces. Moderate amount of rotini pasta. Large amount of carrots and broccoli, though most of the broccoli was stems. Moderate amount of corn. No garlic taste. Predominant taste was carrots. I had him add about an extra 1/8 cup water last few minutes because there was supposed to be a light sauce and I could hear the pan had cooked dry when he lifted the lid to stir.

I guess if you chopped up some onions and garlic, cooked them a little, stirred in a chopped chicken breast or thigh, then proceeded with the bag, it might be good but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying the bag.

Verdict was to NOT buy again.

View attachment 63744
We've bought PF Chang's frozen bag dinners. They're not bad. A little bland, but we fix that with oyster sauce, sesame oil, ginger-garlic sauce, etc. Sometimes I add frozen edamame.

Have you ever tried the "stir fry" fresh veggie mixes in the produce department, @medtran49? We've tried a few of them and they are not bad. You can add your own protein too. Sadly, many/most of them include broccoli and DH cannot eat broccoli.

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight. Still pondering...

I don't buy pre-prepared vegetables because they usually look dry and I refuse to pay the price they want. There is some kind of bagged frozen meal on BOGO pretty much every week but the pre-prepared vegetables never go on sale.

Besides, Craig would have to prepare the protein and then cook, and I don't want to listen to the expletives while he does so, nor can he act quick enough to cook a stir fry anymore.

He's slow when doing things and has a zero frustration level so when he cooks it has to be extremely easy.

We've bought PF Chang's frozen bag dinners. They're not bad. A little bland, but we fix that with oyster sauce, sesame oil, ginger-garlic sauce, etc. Sometimes I add frozen edamame.
We've gotten several of them. The honey garlic chicken was good. The pad thai about blew my taste buds out with the spice level, but it was good. Craig tried the Dan Dan noodles and liked them

When we get a good deal of discount veggies, I'll shred carrots or cabbage and freeze them in 2 cup bags. Broccoli, and cauliflower blanched and frozen. Eggplant, sliced, breaded, baked, then frozen. Mushrooms cooked then frozen. That is usually what I use in my steam-stir-fries when I make those.

My late lunch and later dinner was a no chewing after dental procedure affair. First mr bliss made a smoothie with almond milk, banana, 2 tangerines, 1 green apple. Then for dinner I blended cooked kale with water, added to cooked brown rice. It was very very green!. Seasoned with nectarine vinegar and a little salt. I liked it. Only a little chewing on the right side of my mouth.

DH made a Danish meatloaf called "forloren hare" and surrounded it with purple fingerling potatoes to roast in the pan. I made "rødkål", Danish pickled red cabbage. We had pickled beets and Thai pickled cucumbers with that. Thanks again @Andy M. for that cucumber recipe.

Danish meatloaf, rødkål, purple fingerling potatoes.jpg
Danish meatloaf, pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumber, rødkål, purple fingerling potatoes.jpg

Yes, I know those potatoes look burnt. No, they are a little overcooked, but not at all burnt. They start out very dark.

1677564129407.png

And yes, they do look like a large pile of scat that someone found in the woods.

Here's the recipe for the meatloaf:

https://www.discusscooking.com/threads/mock-armadillo-danish-meatloaf.69011/

Dinner last night was skirt steak, broccoli rabe, and creamed corn. DD made some fries also but I only had a couple.

Left overs, the mussels themselves were still plump and juicy, delish. But the leeks were only just OK. Had it on top of some rice. Was good but not as good as original.

Have frozen the last serving, usually leftover mussels frozen are as good as original but this time I wondering...

Canned Dr'd up chili in the crockpot.
Looked in the fridge couldn't even find a science project to work with. Had other things to do that ended up getting cancelled.Weatherman said no to everything.
Placed a groceries order had it in an hour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom