Monday Dinner 1-16-2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I had planned on making ham and beans and collard greens last night, but the two cans of beans I thought I had are back in Loverly's cupboard. I had a bag of dried in the basement, so I soaked them overnight and cooked today. Turned ciabatta rolls into cheesy garlic toast.

20230116_204221.jpg

What was on your plate today?

I had another bowl of that mushroom barley soup for dinner, plus I made a snack of 1,2,3,4,5 chicken gizzards - something I made with some gizzards I got at the Asian market today. The original recipe was 1½ tb chopped up spareribs, with 1 tb rice wine, 2 tb dark soy, 3 tb white vinegar, 4 tb sugar, and 5 tb water, giving it the name. I usually add 1½ tsp 5 spice powder, which tastes great. I have used this method for boneless pork, and boneless chicken thighs, which works great. This time I put the trimmed gizzards in the Instant Pot, with the ingredients, mixed it up, and pressure cooked it 90 min. It got very tender in that time. Then I set it on sauté/high, and cooked the liquid down, until just a glaze remains. The gizzards had a really good flavor, with a strong, irony flavor, with that 5 spice glaze.
1,2,3,4,5 chicken gizzards, pressure cooked 90 minutes, then the liquid cooked down 7 or 8 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had another bowl of that mushroom barley soup for dinner, plus I made a snack of 1,2,3,4,5 chicken gizzards - something I made with some gizzards I got at the Asian market today. The original recipe was 1½ tb chopped up spareribs, with 1 tb rice wine, 2 tb dark soy, 3 tb white vinegar, 4 tb sugar, and 5 tb water, giving it the name. I usually add 1½ tsp 5 spice powder, which tastes great. I have used this method for boneless pork, and boneless chicken thighs, which works great. This time I put the trimmed gizzards in the Instant Pot, with the ingredients, mixed it up, and pressure cooked it 90 min. It got very tender in that time. Then I set it on sauté/high, and cooked the liquid down, until just a glaze remains. The gizzards had a really good flavor, with a strong, irony flavor, with that 5 spice glaze.
Is that supposed to be 1½ lbs? Or is that really 1½ tablespoons of chopped ribs?
The original recipe was 1½ tb chopped up spareribs ...

We had refrigerator soup with cheese dumplings. I had some leftover Polish sausage that was getting old. I cut it into half moons and fried it, then I added chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Once the meat was browned and the veggies sweated, I added some homemade chicken stock and veggie stock. I simmered that for about half an hour. Then I made some whole wheat, cheese dumplings that I cooked in the soup. The cheese was a lovely spreadable goat cheese with basil and chives. The dumplings are really easy and add a great touch to a soup on a cold winter day. I made a litre and a half of soup (about six cups). We ate all of it, just the two of us. :pig: I guess we must have enjoyed it.

Refrigerator soup with cheese dumplings.jpg

Is that supposed to be 1½ lbs? Or is that really 1½ tablespoons of chopped ribs?
Sorry, it's supposed to be lbs! One letter off! lol
I always take a heavy cleaver, and a large chopping board I keep specifically for this type of thing (so one side is totally chopped up), and first cut them between bones, then chop the ribs into about 1½" pieces. Then I would check for any bone fragments, and rinse them off. The original recipe calls for simmering the 1½ lbs of ribs for 40-45 min, in a 9-10" sauté pan, and I used to double the recipe frequently, and cooked in a 12" sauté pan. Boneless cuts I would just use maybe 1¼ lbs with, instead.

Believe it or not, yes! I always take a heavy cleaver, and a large chopping board I keep specifically for this type of thing (so one side is totally chopped up), and first cut them between bones, then chop the ribs into about 1½" pieces. Then I would check for any bone fragments, and rinse them off. The original recipe calls for simmering the 1½ lbs of ribs for 40-45 min, in a 9-10" sauté pan, and I used to double the recipe frequently, and cooked in a 12" sauté pan. Boneless cuts I would just use maybe 1¼ lbs with, instead.
One and a half pounds is more believable to me than one and a half tablespoons of chopped ribs.

I didn’t get to the grocery store but I did enjoy a brisk walk to the $tore for a loaf of whole wheat bread, a little brick of Cuban style ground coffee, can of soup and jar of pimento stuffed green olives.

I cobbled together a chowder with some leftover corn, onion, celery, carrots, GOYA ham flavored bouillon and a can of Campbell’s Kitchen Classics loaded potato soup from the $tore.

I also made a macaroni salad with my last egg and a few other odds and ends.

Today I will mix up an olive cream cheese schmear for my whole wheat toast.

The vegetable crisper is washed and more than ready for some fresh produce.

This should take care of the ‘cooking’ for a couple more days until I get to the grocery store.

Brown basmati rice with stir fry: onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, soy sauce, then adding broccoli slaw, red cabbage, and kale. Toast and triple berry jam for dessert.

We had "boat rice," which is something we make while sailing. It's a Spanish rice and chicken dish. We call it boat rice because it is made with canned chicken so all ingredients need no refrigeration.

@Andy M. How did your holiday meal turn out?
I maintained my record of never being on time but it was delicious! My probe thermometer acted up so the roast was more medium than medium rare but alls well that ends well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom