Mom's Baking Powder Kuchen (Coffeecake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Quick and easy to make. Even easier to eat. :yum:

1/4 cup (or a little more) shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg

2 cups flour
a pinch of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup milk

Cream shortening and sugar. (You do not need to use a mixer; it actually turns out better if you beat by hand - I use Mom's old wooden spoon)

Add egg and beat until smooth.

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to shortening/sugar/egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Make sure the last addition is a little flour.

Pour into 10" pan. Sprinkle top with a little sugar or sugar/cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If using a glass or dark colored pan, bake at 325.

Notes: Mom baked with Crisco. I use Spectrum Culinary All-Vegetable Shortening, which is made with palm oil. (The palm oil comes from Rainforest Alliance certified farms, manufactured in a sustainable and fair-trade system)

I've made this with as much as half the flour being white whole wheat. The texture of the end result is denser. You also have to make sure the center is fully baked.

I usually bake this in my Mom's old 9 1/2" glass pie plate. It ends up taking about 40 minutes in my toaster oven.

Quick and easy to make. Even easier to eat. :yum:

1/4 cup (or a little more) shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg

2 cups flour
a pinch of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup milk

Cream shortening and sugar. (You do not need to use a mixer; it actually turns out better if you beat by hand - I use Mom's old wooden spoon)

Add egg and beat until smooth.

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to shortening/sugar/egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Make sure the last addition is a little flour.

Pour into 10" pan. Sprinkle top with a little sugar or sugar/cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If using a glass or dark colored pan, bake at 325.

Notes: Mom baked with Crisco. I use Spectrum Culinary All-Vegetable Shortening, which is made with palm oil. (The palm oil comes from Rainforest Alliance certified farms, manufactured in a sustainable and fair-trade system)

I've made this with as much as half the flour being white whole wheat. The texture of the end result is denser. You also have to make sure the center is fully baked.

I usually bake this in my Mom's old 9 1/2" glass pie plate. It ends up taking about 40 minutes in my toaster oven.

Copied. Will definitely make this soon. Maybe next weekend, as my son and I are currently working on a small Black Forest cake I bought from the market.

This looks nice and easy, which is perfect for me, since I'm not a fan of baking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom