Milk instead of Cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
In a snap, does 1% milk work alright if you don't have cream on hand to make a sauce with? I know it's not a perfect subsititute, but was just wondering if it will at least work somewhat.

I'm making a mushroom sauce, btw.

Basically - use 2 parts milk to 1 part butter .... so for 1 Cup cream you would use 2/3 Cup milk and 1/3 Cup butter (no margarine - real butter).

1% milk works all the time for me. Just add in some butter and flour to make it a rich, creamy and thick sauce. If you have evaporated milk on hand, you might want to give that a try as it's creamier than regular milk.

My mom always used skim milk to cook with instead of cream, and tho her results were not as rich, no one ever complained, and she never compensated for the loss of fat.

Guess it worked! She lived to be 94, and my dad, 96! :)

Because cream has enough fat to give the sauce a rich flavor and thick consistancy, you have to add a considerable amount of butter to compensate for the loss of fat when using skim milk. You aren't gaining a thing since you are just trading the fat and cholesterol in butter for what you don't have in skim milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom