Mexican Meatloaf Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Way back in Aug. 2004, I posted this recipe, and it was well received. Yesterday, Oct. 3, 2020, my daughter decided to make a surprise birthday dinner for me, though her husband had already made me a dinner of really good chili on my birthday last Wednesday. I received an invitation from some friends (originally friends of my daughter and son-in-law) who have adopted me as a friend too. They have two wonderful boys of about 9 and ten years of age who I love playing games with, and tying fishing flies for. I went over to their home and watched the last Star Wars movie with them.

Meanwhile, DD made for me her version of my Mexican Volcano, meatloaf formed into that volcano shape, complete with a crater, and enchilada sauce filling the crater, and running down the sides. She even had the refried beans and Bocelli landscape around the volcano. It all looked amazing, and tasted the same. She made Rice Krispy Treats, made with brown butter for desert (delicious that way).

After the movie was over, I came home to the surprise dinner. It was spectacular. The younger of the two boys arrived first, and though I missed it, was told that his reaction to the meal was one of amazement, and excitement. He'd never seen anything like it.

Here's the recipe, and this time, I have pictures:mrgreen:.

Mexican Volcano:
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Chorizo (or Italian sausageMexican Chorizo)
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup 2-3 year old sharp, white cheddar Cheese
1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375'‑ F. Remove the Chorizo from its
casing. Mix together the ground beef, Chorizo, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, egg, Cheddar, and bread crumbs. Knead together until well mixed. Lightly grease a 12" square casserole dish and place the meat mixture into it.
Shape the mixture into a volcanic mountain with valleys and
cliffs. Show off your hidden artistic talents. Create a crater in the top suitable for about a 1/4 cup of sauce. Place the “volcano” into the oven, with a meat thermometer inserted to the center.
Cook for 45 minutes. Check the thermometer. When the
internal temperature reaches 175'‑ F., remove from the oven.
Pour the sauce into the crater, making sure that rivulets of
sauce run down the mountain sides. Place strands of Mozzarella
cheese shreds onto the rivulets and in the crater to mimic the
glowing hot lava. Place in the oven until the cheese melts
slightly. Remove from the oven and place onto a serving
platter. Slice into eight equal wedges and serve with little
men made from toothpicks and Vienna sausage and toothpicks
(half covered by lava). Make trees with Broccoli to finish the
hapless village. Your kids will love it, and your guests will consider you simply amazing.

Oh, did I mention I weas absolutley surprized, and blown away by this? It was possibly the best birthday surprise in my life. The amount of effort that she put forth, for me. Well, that's why you put everything you have into your hcildren. They return the love ikn spades!
Pictures:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• Mexican Volcano 1.jpg
    Mexican Volcano 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Mexican Volcano 2.jpg
    Mexican Volcano 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Mexican Volcano 3.jpg
    Mexican Volcano 3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Mexican Volcano 4.jpg
    Mexican Volcano 4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Mexican Volcano 5.jpg
    Mexican Volcano 5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
If you make this with Italian seasonings, and change out the chorizo with bulk Italian sausage, and maybe throw in some minced peperoni, and replace the enchilada sauce with a good Marinara oe Ragu (if you line meat in the sauce), or Sunday gravy, you can then call it Mt. Vesuvius, and it's equally yummy. I'm not sure wat you would use in place of the refried beans though, maybe some ground beef mixed with mashed Cannelloni beans, or mashed green lima beans. The landscape is a little more difficult.

Ideas for the landscape ingredients is up to you, maybe dark red kidney beans instead of the other beans I mentioned, or even some co, more like a pea paste. You could also use different colors of lentils, or chick peas, or even ultra-thick yellow split pea soup. Fresh basil and oregano leaves, or whole sprigs of fresh rosemary could be used for vegetation. And instead of cheddar, use a hard Italian cheese.

Just another version.

I wonder what flavorings I'd use if I made my chicken meatball recipe into a volcano. Well, since it has many Asian flavor notes, I could call it Mt. Fuji, and use a fred sweet and sour sauce to act as the lava. I wonder if ground chicken, and ground shrimp would make a good volcano mountain. So many ideas, and only one short lifetime to try them all.:ohmy:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's amazing! Love it and I'm sure the grandkids would too!

Am copying and saving! Original, pictures and other versions!

You are such an inspiration Chief - Thank You!!

And Belated Happy Happpy Birthday! sounds like you had an amazing day. so happy for you too!

Last edited:
Bumping old thread with questios for the experts:

Kgirl, how would you make a Hawaiian themed meatloaf? What would your sauce be made of?

Ginny, what would your PNW meatloaf consist of?

For our Asian friends, what would your inspirations be for a volcano meatloaf, and sauce?

What would an Icelandic meatloaf volcano be made of?

Hispanic inspired meatloaf and sauce, how would it be made?

I guess I'm trying to get everyone to put on the thinking caps, and come up with internatioaly inspired meatloaf recipes. Anybody who wants to join in, feel free. The more, the merrier.
And don't limit this to hot-served meatloaf. Cold is just as good.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Interesting idea. Living here on the Canadian West Coast (the Canadian part of the pacific northwest), my mom & grandma made Salmon Loaf. Salmon's very common around here, and often made into fish cakes and Salmon Loaf which is similar to meatloaf, but usually with a creamy sauce, lemon, dill, etc. Great way to use up a lot of salmon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom