Meet Gondi! (a Jewish-Persian chicken dumpling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
haven't been here for a while. didn't had interesting things to say and also asked questions on another platform.

anyhow..

gondi is made of ground chicken (i've used thighs) along with roasted garbanzo flour, chopped onions, ground cardamom.. turmeric etc.... i also like to add msg.

it cooked in a soup with similar spices and onions and also garbanzo beans.

it is easy to make.

it is important to well wet your hands when shaping the balls.

i let the balls cool well before refrigeration.

Attachments

• photo_2022-04-17_17-55-14.jpg
    photo_2022-04-17_17-55-14.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
  • photo_2022-04-17_17-55-11.jpg
    photo_2022-04-17_17-55-11.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 24
  • photo_2022-04-17_17-55-06.jpg
    photo_2022-04-17_17-55-06.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 21
This looks like a chicken meatball using roasted garbanzo flour as a binder. Are the meatballs browned before adding them into the soup? Can you share your recipe?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind if the North

no browning at all.
i can't post a recipe soon..
maybe sometime later.

i don't think that you have this chickpea flour abroad too

Chickpea flour is readily available in Indian groceries, where you can buy it as "Besan flour".
You can also find it in Kroger and Walmart - Bob´s Red Mill.
The two are made from slightly different chickpeas and the American version is slightly sweeter and does not bind quite so well: you´ll have to use a bit more than if you used the Indian version.

I see a lot of Indian recipes that call for roasted besan, most just calling for putting it in a sauté pan over medium heat, and stirring constantly, until it gets slightly browned. A few called for browning it in a shallow baking pan, at a relatively low temperature - I think it was 120 c, or around 250 f. I always do the stovetop method.

i don't know about that

but i know that they are roasting the chickpeas in israel and only after the chickpeas are ready they ground them......

so i'm not really sure what can i say about the issue,,

What do I know, we did not have garbanzo beans flour in Ukraine, let alone roasted one, so I just use ground potato as a binder, works like a charm. Grind white meat chicken, potato, onion, add some egg, seasoning make the balls drop into boiling soup, yum.;)

What do I know, we did not have garbanzo beans flour in Ukraine, let alone roasted one, so I just use ground potato as a binder, works like a charm. Grind white meat chicken, potato, onion, add some egg, seasoning make the balls drop into boiling soup, yum.;)

Ohhh, that's similar to Danish meatballs for soup. They can be made with any type of meat or even fish. They are usually bound with flour, but it could be potato starch. Yup, ground onion, egg, and seasonings are used too. These are also dropped into soup (or lightly salted water) to cook. I can see how potato could work.

Ohhh, that's similar to Danish meatballs for soup. They can be made with any type of meat or even fish. They are usually bound with flour, but it could be potato starch. Yup, ground onion, egg, and seasonings are used too. These are also dropped into soup (or lightly salted water) to cook. I can see how potato could work.

Yes, any meat can be used, we were just talking about chicken. Also instead of flour or potato bread or even bread crumbs can be used.

Back
Top Bottom