Meat Grinders, reviews and opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GimpyMagoo

Discombobulated BBQ'r
forum searches typically return some pretty irrelevant results and most times can't find the info through all the muddled discussions presented to you. Hence my dilemma.

I'm venturing into the sausage arena as I rebuild my arsenal of outdoor cookery and its time to tick a meat / sausage grinder off my list.
I see a whole bunch of Meat / sausage grinders. From overstated 4000w 3-4hp 120v china crap (can't happen on 20a/120v by the way, odd the Amazon reviews are pretty favorable though) to the good ole' #10 hand crank.
I don't want a manual. Electric or steam powered (cause that'd just be damn cool) please.

oh, and I'd like to stay sub $200, #8-12, 120v, nothing fancy, with available misc pieces parts and things.

I'd like to hear from you folks on a decent and reliable meat grinder. What meat discombobulater is in your appliance garage, and why.

thanks
Gimpy

Last edited:
ah yes. that's a Kitchener model right?
I've looked at that one at northern and on amazon myself. it's on my short list

Last edited:
I have the grinder and stuffer attachments for a Kitchen aide Mixer and have to say they are pretty lame. The Mixer has lots of power but the feed chutes are just too small - they require constant attention and three hands to do really successfully.

Links here and here. If you have a KA mixer already this is a pretty cheap solution however. Watch the videos - interesting...

Dittos on the KA Mixer. Got one..can hardly stand to look at it. Me and some other folks snagged the big Mama 1 HP SS Chicom model from Nothern Tools. Grinds great cept for a sloppy auger..which as long as a person grinds from big to small aint an issue. If you start trying to re-grind on the same plate it can get problematical. It takes a Hobart to have nice tight fitting auger. Or so a meat industry exspurt tole me one time.

I do have a KA grinder and stuffer but if memory serves me right (20 some years ago) I hated them. I come across the boxes now and them and ponder breakin' them out but that stinging feeling in the back of my craw just keeps biting me so I put them back.

I did some searching for "Big Mama" and unless Eddie Murphy is gunna come to my house and grind meat I think I'm outta luck on that one.

Well KA mixers and their various add-ons...seem to be designed to take advantage of gullible house wives. Thanks to the Little Bride..who was sent to buy me a big meat grinder..apparently bumped into a scammy salesman and showed up with the monstrosity in question plus every attachment they made which not a single one worked right..most especially the meat grinder part. I am getting a queasy tummy just thinking on it. Believe the highest calling for that hunk of junk would be as a trot line weight.

I've had great success with the KA in general. The first wife took hers so I had to buy another one for my next bride. It's been making dough and cakes for 20 years without a hitch. It's the commercial model that you crank up. it's been through a house fire, looks like a charcoal briquette but work well.
The pasta roller attachment works well too. just to be fair.
I've pondered the fruit strainer the closer my garden, and it's 50 tomato plants, come to ripen.

I'll be hunting for a decent grinder and stuffer for the next two weeks or so.
My short list so far are:
LEM
Amazon.com: LEM Products 575 Watt #8 Electric Meat Grinder: Sports & Outdoors

unbranded but looks like a Kitchener
Amazon.com: Electric Meat Grinder - 1000 Watts of Power: Kitchen & Dining

Chinese but has good reviews
Amazon.com: STX MEGAFORCE 3000 SERIES WITH "PATENT PENDING - COWL AIR INDUCTION COOLING SYSTEM" - 3000 WATT "PEAK OUTPUT POWER" - 3 SPEED - ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER - 3 "STAINLESS STEEL" CUTTING BLADES - 3 "HARDENED STEEL" GRINDING PLATES - 1 "BEANER PL

stuffer is next on my list but I think i'll be getting a LEM metal gear model.

I think it's ironic (or maybe sinister?) but the banner ad at the top of this page on this topic of meat grinders is...a banner ad for MEAT GRINDERS.:finga:

BOB
at least it was today, for me:rolleyes:

well. in support of the forum i'll switch off my adblock and click it :)

there. I have just contributed to their adsense account, to bad the next tag site didn't load :(
note:
not being flippant, I run an ad supported social network myself and understand ;)

Last edited:
That crazy KA meat grinding attachment start out by putting a person way too far above the work table which require somebody to hold a bowl or something up in the air to catch the meat as it come out. Then if the meat block had any liquid in it at all..even the obligatory amounts..it would projectile emit meat about 12 feet away. Finally set up a target sheet pan on the far end of the sink to hopefully most of it splatter on there instead of the chandelier..then when it got tired of all that nonsense it would work the little thumb screw out of its indent hole and the entire head start spinning around slinging meat in a 360 dregree circle. Other than that I guess it work ok. I used to have a plalette claim to grind up entire herds of Elk using one. Its a puzzler.

That crazy KA meat grinding attachment ....... if the meat block had any liquid in it at all..even the obligatory amounts..it would projectile emit meat about 12 feet away.

That's funny!! You owe me a dry keyboard! There is clearly a need for a sausage cannon attachment to go with that grinder attachment.

I can see the advertising slogan now... "kitchen aide attachments : Grind | Spew | Launch"

Well sorry about the wet keyboard. Good news is that crazy mixer makes great meringue for chocolate pie. I think trying to drag it out of the camper so the Warden could use it is what caused my latest hernia. Its works nearly as good as turning my Mama loose on them eggs whites armed with a fork.

Back
Top Bottom