Meal Kits In Grocery Stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
In Hawaii, we have a big chain supermarket called Foodland.
Recently, they started carrying prepared meal kits in their Foodland Farms store at Ala Moana Shopping Center.

We went here several times, and I gotta tell you guys,
I'm so glad that we do not live on Oahu any longer,
because I would be here all the time, and spend a fortune!
What a fabulous store! (take a look at the website)
I love Foodland in general, they are my grocery store of choice
when we're back home.
Their Poke Bar is the best on the Island, for sure!!
(we went every day, and I'm not kidding, to buy fresh Poke)

DSC01144.jpg
[Tako or Octopus-cooked, Ahi or Tuna-raw, Vegetarian Sushi and some fresh chopped veg--all local]

Anywhos, here's some of what I found:

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

They have mains as well as side dishes, all utilizing local
ingredients, mostly.
You can see the prices on almost all of the photos,
sorta-kinda reasonably priced.
Still, I myself, didn't purchases any of these.

So...
have you seen any meal kits in your area markets,
and would you, have you, thought about buying and tried any? :chef:

I have occasionally seen meal kits. Some actually interested me. Those all had one or more ingredients I can't have. How much of the work is already done in those meal kits from Foodland?

I have often used TastyBites Indian vegi dishes. Those are ready to eat, just heat the bag in boiling water or in the microwave. I can't really use those anymore, because they all seem to have tomato and / or potato in them.

I have seen meal kits before, but it always seems like I can cook the same meal for half the price if I buy the ingredients separately.

Granted, those kits are better than eating processed foods, or most restaurant foods.

CD

I agree, cd, nice but pricey. ~ K-Girl, most of the grocery stores around here sell similar things. Heck, even Aldi has a meal kit for some sort of dinner every once in a while. But I'm picky. And cheap. I probably would find something wrong with the ingredient quality if I bought them, and certainly would be crabby about spending the money. :LOL: I'd rather spend a couple bucks a meal more and head out to one of our local restaurants. The family run one-off places around by us have very reasonably priced dinners. Still, I can make two (or more) servings for the price of one person's food when we eat out. Did I mention I'm cheap? :cool:

Although they are probably there, I've never seen them as I don't look for them.

My favourite readymade snack is a frozen Italian Patties. Next time, I will click the pics for sure.

They are there Craig. Publix has had them for a good while. They have them in a special refrigerated case where they do their Aprons cooking demos.

The Winn Dixies in our area have a large case set up where you pick your protein and already cut up veges, with things like rice, pasta, noodles underneath. The person behind the case gathers up your perishable ingredients, you get the rest. They also have recipe/idea cards available. I actually like that idea better than the already packaged meals, though have never used it.

Kgirl, I can sure see how those meal kits do so well there. With so many visitors staying in condo's with kitchens, they are a marketing genius for Foodland. They are an easy way to experience the foods of the islands without the higher cost of restaurants. Brilliant!

Kgirl, I can sure see how those meal kits do so well there. With so many visitors staying in condo's with kitchens, they are a marketing genius for Foodland. They are an easy way to experience the foods of the islands without the higher cost of restaurants. Brilliant!

So true Kayelle!
We don't go out to eat too much while we're back home in Hawaii,
mostly the Mom&Pop places that we've always known and their
prices have gone up over the years, but still, no where near
to what it costs to eat in town!

I went to the supermarket today to stock us back up and
I noticed that Fry's aka Kroeger's also has meal kits, right as
you walk in the door-front and center-BUY ME!!
If I were to find one that was something that we might
want to try, with ingredients that I don't already have in
my pantry, I MIGHT buy it.

Oh oh oh I shopped at that Foodland last year!! It was amazing!!! Bought way too much and then had to walk back the hotel with 5 bags of food. Lol
sigh
I would love some Poke right now.
In Hawaii, we have a big chain supermarket called Foodland.
Recently, they started carrying prepared meal kits in their Foodland Farms store at Ala Moana Shopping Center.

We went here several times, and I gotta tell you guys,
I'm so glad that we do not live on Oahu any longer,
because I would be here all the time, and spend a fortune!
What a fabulous store! (take a look at the website)
I love Foodland in general, they are my grocery store of choice
when we're back home.
Their Poke Bar is the best on the Island, for sure!!
(we went every day, and I'm not kidding, to buy fresh Poke)

View attachment 35056
[Tako or Octopus-cooked, Ahi or Tuna-raw, Vegetarian Sushi and some fresh chopped veg--all local]

Anywhos, here's some of what I found:

View attachment 35048

View attachment 35049

View attachment 35050

View attachment 35051

View attachment 35052

View attachment 35053

View attachment 35054

View attachment 35055

They have mains as well as side dishes, all utilizing local
ingredients, mostly.
You can see the prices on almost all of the photos,
sorta-kinda reasonably priced.
Still, I myself, didn't purchases any of these.

So...
have you seen any meal kits in your area markets,
and would you, have you, thought about buying and tried any? :chef:

Oh oh oh I shopped at that Foodland last year!! It was amazing!!! Bought way too much and then had to walk back the hotel with 5 bags of food. Lol
sigh
I would love some Poke right now.

hawaii-may-2012-Foodland Poke.jpg
(Foodland Kailua)

Right Dave? Just love me my Foodland.
I've been shopping there for ever.
I think the Foodland in Ala Moana is just da bomb!

DSC01165.jpg

And look for their reuseable grocery bags, they're so cool!

Have you ever thought about making your own Poke Dave?
I do that for DH on occasion, I'll get frozen seafood, Mussels,
Octopus, Tuna, Shrimp is my fav!

I have but need to find some Ahi Tuna around here, that's my favorite. Oh and a good recipe or two. If you have any recipes you'd be willing to share I'd really appreciate it.

I will have to pick up a bag or two. We will be bringing bags with us this year as we learned the hard way last year when we went to Walmart on the Big Island. Ooops... won't make that mistake again.
View attachment 40331
(Foodland Kailua)

Right Dave? Just love me my Foodland.
I've been shopping there for ever.
I think the Foodland in Ala Moana is just da bomb!

View attachment 40332

And look for their reuseable grocery bags, they're so cool!

Have you ever thought about making your own Poke Dave?
I do that for DH on occasion, I'll get frozen seafood, Mussels,
Octopus, Tuna, Shrimp is my fav!

What are you guys doing during the lockdown? i mean how are you coping up with work and managing food?

We have a few meal kits at our local grocery store. I have tried a couple of them and I didn't think they were that great. They weren't bad, but I would rather make something on my own.

I have occasionally seen meal kits. Some actually interested me. Those all had one or more ingredients I can't have. How much of the work is already done in those meal kits from Foodland?

I have often used TastyBites Indian vegi dishes. Those are ready to eat, just heat the bag in boiling water or in the microwave. I can't really use those anymore, because they all seem to have tomato and / or potato in them.

Taxi, you can use sun chokes instead of potatoes in your cooking. Baked, or boiled, they have the same texture, but a little sweeter. Plus, they are great eaten raw, either sliced, or grated into a slaw. Just a tipo from me to you;).

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Taxi, you can use sun chokes instead of potatoes in your cooking. Baked, or boiled, they have the same texture, but a little sweeter. Plus, they are great eaten raw, either sliced, or grated into a slaw. Just a tipo from me to you;).

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for the tip. I actually do use sunchokes when they are available. But, that doesn't really help in terms of the pre-made meals that already have potato in them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom