Marinating Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you after marinating meat?

• Rinse it all off before patting dry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just pat it dry before cooking.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Just throw it sopping wet from the bag onto the grill, it'll cook off.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Marinating is silly and I wouldn't waste my time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
Today I am making marinated lamb chops and I thought it would be interesting to put up a poll.

Leave a comment and vote for how you do this.

Thanks

I see no reason to rinse unless it's a very strong flavor and you want to tone it down a bit. I don't recall many recipes calling for rinsing.

Remember, as marinates are acidic, 15 minutes is as good as 15 hours. The acid reacts with the metaproteins, causing them to contract and seal them eat from deep penetration. Brines saturate the meat, as they contain no acidic ingredients.

A velveting solution contains a little baking soda, which helps tenderize, and cornstarch, which seals in moisture, and acts as a visual agent against over cooking the meat,

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of he North

I let as much marinade drip off as possible, then I throw the meat on the grill or in the frying pan. I often heat the leftover marinade that the raw meat was in. I boil it for a minute or three and use it as a sauce or maybe add a bit of butter and then use it as a sauce.

I "soak" my B/S Chicken Thighs in a Teriyaki Sauce all day
in a zip-top bag and then simply grill them.
The marinade that's still clinging to the meat chars
to a gorgeous crust of goodness :yum:
It also makes for messy grill grates, but that's okay... that
gets cleaned up with the next grill session :chef:

I actually marinate differently for different things.

If it is a thick marinade sauce type, I will just tap it on the side to get excess off and throw it in the pan/grill, then often, as taxy does, cook up the sauce.

But if it is a slow cooker type - it all goes in the 'pool'.

If a specific recipe calls for drying it before going on to the next step - I do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom