Malt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
When I was a child, One of the tings I loved about going to my paternal grandparent's home was the treats. They'd always have a bowl of mixed nuts, and a bowl of Brach's Bridge Mix. I loved all of the nuts, and worked hard to extract whole nuts from their shells. My favorite chocolaty offerings were to be had from the Bridge Mix, with the chocolate covered raisins, double chocolate covered peanuts, and especially, the chocolate covered malted milk balls. I love malted milk as a child, and still love the flavor today.

Give me the choice between a shake, and a malt, and I'll pick the malt every time. It doesn't matter to me the flavor of the shake, strawberry, chocolate, butterscotch, banana, butter pecan, whatever, I want it with malt in it.

Here are some of the things I like to put malt on, or in:
1 over ice cream
2. Over Sundays
3. Over cold cereals, with milk, ( rice milk these days}
4. over Bananas Foster
5. Sprinkled heavily onto pastry dough before rolling into sticky buns
6 in a glass of ice-cold milk
7. Malted milk balls
8. Candy Coated malted Easter Eggs candy
9. on hot, buttered popcorn

Tip,
Malted milk powder does not easily mix with liquid. Like flour, it tends to clump up. It took me a while as a child to learn how to mix it into a smooth drink, with no lumps. And, just like flour, it takes this method I am going to explain, to get lump-free results. For those who struggle with malted milk, or flour for that matter, add a heaping tbs. of the powder to a dry, clean glass. Ad a tbs. of milk, and stir into a smooth paste. Add a little more milk, again stirring into a smooth paste. Repeat two more times. Now, while stirring, add the remaining milk to fill your glass. drink a smooth, and delicious cup pf malted milk.

This technique will also allow you to make a cold glass of chocolate milk, using cocoa powder, and sugar, without having to purchase the pre-mixed, chocolate milk products.

What are some of your favorite ways to use mailed milk powder, and what is your favorite brand?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I come from a family of 7 and I am the only one who disliked Malt! Chief your explanations, descriptions are so enticing that I am tempted to try malt again!

LOL... only took 75+ years but if I can find it I will try again. I don't want to start with a food with malt flavouring added, I'd rather control and add it myself.

Yuh never knows! Never say never!

I used to love malt, esp. with ice cream, and chocolate products. I would buy large jars of Horlicks malt in Chinese markets - it was their way of getting calcium in their diets, since it they had very little dairy in their diets, and this was enriched with calcium, and other nutrients, and they would just drink it with water. Of course, I used it with things a lot more caloric!

I have a small jar of it now, but only occasionally use it.

I love the depth it adds to the flavor of some baked goods. I keep a jar on hand and add a healthy spoonful to pancakes, waffles, chocolate chip cookies, some muffins. People can't identify it, but they always ask and always like it.

I also keep a jar of diastatic malt powder in my cupboard, for some breads that call for it - the enzymes in it helps break down the starch in flours, and helps breads that have short rises. But that's another topic.

Back
Top Bottom