Making Soy Sauce, purpose of Charcoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when you said you were interested in trying to make soy sauce. I read the directions and thought, OMG that's going to take a whole year. I'm not as patient as you are. I'm impressed you tried it. Most people wouldn't! Like I said, I'm impressed! We should all have your sense of adventure!
I love going through the process of making things ( from start to finish, including Tofu, tempeh, miso, cheeses, wine, beer...). I wish it was successful, but it wasn't. It was still a fun, learning process. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere along the line but seeing the steps first hand was a blast. I may try it again, and yes it took many many months just to throw it out .

My former partner makes Korean condiments, one being soy sauce. Its hard to do and it stinks...

But kudos to you for trying!!
Yep and yep!! I was forewarned about the stink, but never told my wife about it cause I knew I'd get resistance. It all stated when I saw some documentary on a factory in China using old fashioned methods to make soy sauce, they would fill ceramic crocks on their roof tops for months to allow he soybeans ferment, and soy sauce age. I made Korean soy sauce , which was a different process, but still fun. It's a long time to wait not knowing if it's going to work or not . I may try it again.

Your post about making soy sauce got me all curious and excited. I love exploring new cooking ideas, and DIY soy sauce sounds like a fun project! I'm no expert, but that charcoal addition is intriguing. It might add some unique flavors or help with purification during fermentation.
Welcome to DC!

Larry, thank you for the warning. I can remove that from my never have I ever list. 😄

Yep and yep!! I was forewarned about the stink, but never told my wife about it cause I knew I'd get resistance. It all stated when I saw some documentary on a factory in China using old fashioned methods to make soy sauce, they would fill ceramic crocks on their roof tops for months to allow he soybeans ferment, and soy sauce age. I made Korean soy sauce , which was a different process, but still fun. It's a long time to wait not knowing if it's going to work or not . I may try it again.
So did you also make doenjang? Yum. But incredibly stinky... Mary makes gochujang doenjang and ganjang using old methods and recipes.

Whats funny is I let the soy blocks dry in the basement, assuming my wife wouldn't notice. Obviously I was wrong :LOL: . The only other time I tried to pull one over on her was when I got a durian. She noticed that one the second she entered the house ( it was in the garage).

Did you get to eat the durian? and could you get your hands clean/unsmelly after?

and did you enjoy the taste despite the smell?

Im deathly allergic to melon but nevertheless ate durian at our favorite vietnamese dive in NYC more than once. It probably was the cocktails...

It tastes 100% better than it smells, which is odd. I actually liked it.

It tastes 100% better than it smells, which is odd. I actually liked it.
I agree, It definitely tasted better than it smelled, but to me, it didnt smell all that bad. Kinda like natural gas. This was a decade ago, I dont remember having any lingering smell on my hands. I did once buy a durian candy, and also durian ice cream ( in China town NYC).

Back
Top Bottom