Making chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any thread about chili is a good one. I sorta remember that Awesome Possum chili thread, and will check it out again.

I thought I froze some chili when I recent made a pot. Guess I thought it was too good at the time as it's all gone.

That was a very interesting thread. I should make the recipe. I've been using a recipe for a chili that won the International Chili Society competition some time ago.

Care to post the recipe?

I'll have to try it. Thanks.

The secret to so many great chili recipes I've found was what you mentioned, about cubing meat rather than grinding.

Looking for it online now. Again, Mersi.

Last edited:
I was reading this thread while I was tired, and I misread File of chile with Filé chili. I got so excited that I thought i was going to learn of a chili i never heard of before. Then reality set in, my eyes focussed, and saw it was a chili file ( which was great).

All I was trying to be was friendly, share some of my chili ingredients, Craig. I am first and foremost a foodie who loves any ethnic dish or cuisine that is hot and spicy. I very much appreciate all the cooks and input on this forum. I wish you and all the cooks here a Happy, Healthy New Year. Marty.

I don't think Craig was being mean or anything like that, maybe short but I'm sure he was not trying to offend anybody.

This is the thread that I always think of when someone mentions chili:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f62/authentic-texas-chili-3649.html

Man, that was just after my son was born, and shortly after I joined here.

I still like serving chili in bread bowls. :pig:

I always get a kick out of any statement that purports to being "authentic" chili (general statement, not directed at BuckyTom). I realize that Texans think they invented the stuff, but there are about as many chili recipes as there are burger styles, and none is "wrong" as long as someone likes them. I learned to make chili con carne from my Minnesota born mother, but I've modified it to my own taste, and even then I don't always make it the same.

I'll add this or that depending on what's in the pantry, and on my mood that day. I've made it with stewing beef, ground beef, leftover pot roast and chicken. I've used chili beans, black beans, kidney beans. I'll add chopped green chiles, or chopped jalapeños, or neither. I've used habeñeros, but I didn't care for that - too much heat without enough flavor. I've even added mushrooms at times if I had some that needed using.

If serving for guests, I like to make a jalapeño cheddar focaccia to go with it rather than the ubiquitous warm tortillas.

Last edited:
Try this Williams chili seasoning -- way, way better than McCormick.

RecipeImage.php

Kinda hard to find though. Most stores do not carry it. I bought a bottle of it off ebay, and they also sell packets of it.

RecipeImage.php

Kinda hard to find though. Most stores do not carry it. I bought a bottle of it off ebay, and they also sell packets of it.

I've never used any kind of pre-packaged seasoning. Dark chili powder, salt and pepper is mostly what I use.

I buy French's Chili-O mix from Amazon. I add that along with added chili powder, several types of hot ground chili peppers including ghost pepper. I add several whole small thin hot red peppers to the pot. Comes out nice and spicey.

Last edited:

RecipeImage.php

For those who want it, it's available from Amazon in both bottle and packets. It's mostly just ground chiles, garlic powder and dehydrated onion with some other spices added.

McCormick's also adds flour for some reason - that's an unnecessary refined carb that I really don't need. My chili doesn't need that sort of thickening. My wife thinks it's too thick as is. :LOL:

Aside from the chili powder, I use fresh onion and garlic, salt and pepper, cumin, and I use a 6 oz can of tomato paste for added depth of flavor and as a thickener. I add chopped fresh jalapeños and adjust quantity for heat level.

Last edited:
I just love all these posts sharing other ingredients fellow cooks use and ideas of their chilies. I change mine every time it is made. When I lived in Australia I grew, dried, ground and saved 13 different version of hot peppers. No wonder my chili is never the same. lol

I'm not averse to using packet seasonings (except those packets in asian noodle bowls. They're like 200% of your US rda of sodium), but the best chillis that I've made were when I ground my own dried peppers to make the chili powder.

Some of the peppers were from my garden, and others I used to get from a Mexican farmer's market.

I wish I could find my old spice grinder. It was a coffee grinder that we never used for its intended purpose, so I gave it a new purpose with spices. It's one of mant things that disappeared when we moved. It's somewhere in the dark recesses of my basement, I suppose.

Grinding spices and peppers and stuff in a mortar and pestle is a pain in the butt.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the Williams mix.

For those who want it, it's available from Amazon in both bottle and packets. It's mostly just ground chiles, garlic powder and dehydrated onion with some other spices added.

McCormick's also adds flour for some reason - that's an unnecessary refined carb that I really don't need. My chili doesn't need that sort of thickening. My wife thinks it's too thick as is. :LOL:

Aside from the chili powder, I use fresh onion and garlic, salt and pepper, cumin, and I use a 6 oz can of tomato paste for added depth of flavor and as a thickener. I add chopped fresh jalapeños and adjust quantity for heat level.

Yep, the bottle version is a better value. It's just got that old fashioned chili flavor to it. Sort of like a diner from the 1950's.

814ZaWKQhFL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom