Making a sauce/marinade in advance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a sauce/glaze that we have constantly. But I'm wondering if I could make up atleast a small bottle of it, that would be used within a month.

It's made from:
Honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, water & garlic.

It's quick enough to make, but to make things even easier if me and the family could just pour it out, when needed.

It sounds like it should work. Why not make up a small amount and store it in a bottle and see how it works out?

I do that with a stir fry sauce and have done so with a few other sauces, over the years. I don't make huge quantities so, the fear of them going south is minimized. Its pleasing to have a sauce handy.

Ross

Without preservatives, I wouldn't expect anything to last a month (unless you plan to freeze it). Specifically, garlic and lemon juice will not last that long without degradation even even if refrigerated.

Honey, soy sauce (salt) and lemon juice are all preservatives used in pickling. Whether it's safe to store for more than a few days depends on the proportions. It would also be a good idea to boil it for a few minutes before cooling and storing.

Last edited:
I would use garlic powder for something like that. While I generally prefer fresh garlic, if it is fresh and raw, it gets a bit strong and somewhat harsh over time. Also, if there isn't enough acid, I believe there is a risk of botulism from raw garlic. I like GG's suggestion of boiling it before refrigeration.

As with other preparations involving fresh garlic, such as garlic oil, you are advised to refrigerate and dispose after 10 days to two weeks.

I would use garlic powder for something like that. While I generally prefer fresh garlic, if it is fresh and raw, it gets a bit strong and somewhat harsh over time. Also, if there isn't enough acid, I believe there is a risk of botulism from raw garlic. I like GG's suggestion of boiling it before refrigeration.
That's why I keep asking for the proportions - so we can compare it to a known pickling recipe and determine whether it's acidic enough.

That's why I keep asking for the proportions - so we can compare it to a known pickling recipe and determine whether it's acidic enough.

Sorry been having pc issues

4 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons of soy sauce - recipe doesn't specify, but I've been using dark
1 tablespoons of lemon juice

Thank you, I'll try it with garlic powder
I've just posted with the recipe.
Sorry for my late reply, been having pc issues

It looks like the kind of thing that could be whipped up ala minute. It’s similar to a salad dressing I just make up in a shaker every time I need it.

TrueLemon is dried real lemon juice which would make it even asier

Back
Top Bottom