Make Gelatine crispy - how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamonC

Assistant Cook
Hi, I had recently a dish in a restaurant (see attached pic) where the top of the dish used gelatine was crispy. Tried at home, but immediately when heating up in a pan, the gelantine became from solid (cold from fridge) into liquid.
Anyone has an idea what to add to the gelatine to be able to fry or heat-up until it gets crispy?
Best regards

Attachments

• IMG_1993[1].jpg
    IMG_1993[1].jpg
    64 KB · Views: 31
Gelatine, or better known as gelatin in the U.S. is brittle/crispy when dry, and rubbery/soft when set in liquid. Aspics, the gel surrounding canned meats, Jell-O deserts, panacoda, are all soft gelatin products. Gelatin is derived from collagen rich animal products, like pig trotters, chicken feet, beef hooves, pork knuckles, etc. It can be purchased in dried, brittle sheets, or as a powder.

I have never seen it fried, and suspect the steam from foods it is cooked with would liquify it.

Try cooking your recipe sans gelatin, the breaking sections of the dried gelatin sheets on top just before serving.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was thinking to take the dried sheets of gelatine and "glue" them with some water spray to the top of the aspic surface. After glued, fry it or even make it crunchy with the help of a kitchen torch. Any comments from your side? Thanks

If you want to fry the gelatine, I suggest frying a small piece all by itself in a frying pan first. If it is completely dry, it might not melt, but it might get scorched. I have never heard of frying gelatine.

One of the few times 've worked with gelatine sheets, was very delecate. ANY moisture at all. I think using a torch would just scorch.

So as Aunt Bea says - pretty sure just laid on as a decoration.

but then on second thought... are you sure it was a gelatin sheet? Could it have been sugar glass?

Just what is the dish? Apple or pears? bisquit/dough? and the drizzle?

Last edited:
I have looked at that photo a number of times. I still can't figure out what part of it is the "crispy gelatine".

It is also possible and probable, as taxy has said, many examinations, ...

white or brown sugar carmelized with a torch as a creme brulee.

It looks to me like there's a crispy layer under the sauce and further down. And it also looks to me like a crème brûlée.
2022-08-27-14-27-05-265.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
sorry for coming back to all of you so late, was too busy...I had this dish in a restaurant for local food closed to the city of Valencia (Spain). The aspic was made out of boiled pig ears. Yo can recognize the ear's cartilage as white strips in the pieces.
No sugar at all on the aspic.

Well, Ramon, you just might have to jump in the car and drive back to Valencia. Order it again, dissect on the plate taking pictures of each step. Then get the chef out from the kitchen and query him.

So this is not a dessert but a savory? What else is in it (aside from pigs ears)? What steps did you take to get you as close to the original, apart from the crispy gelatin?

p.s.
Was that poor pig one that could no longer sniff out truffles?

Back
Top Bottom