Lunch for slightly more than a friend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soup and sandwich is a great option. Dessert would be a "must." Fresh fruit with a chocolate sauce to dunk the pieces comes to mind for that!

Hmm..."gentleman friend" is good. I like that it is a bit of old fashioned. What might you wish to be called - just curious? ?

I would make a turkey club sandwich (no soup) and serve it with chips, carrot and celery sticks and a pickle. Serve the sandwiches (cut) on a platter and surround with chips. That way he can help himself to several sections of the sandwiches and you can take a smaller portion if desired.

Dessert = Brownies.

Simple but slightly elevated. Load the Club sandwich with LOTS of turkey and bacon.

club.jpg

Last edited:
I would make a turkey club sandwich (no soup) and serve it with chips, carrot and celery sticks and a pickle. Serve the sandwiches (cut) on a platter and surround with chips. That way he can help himself to several sections of the sandwiches and you can take a smaller portion if desired.

Dessert = Brownies.

Simple but slightly elevated. Load the Club sandwich with LOTS of turkey and bacon.

View attachment 63668
Brilliant!
If @KatyCooks Gentleman Friend (which btw @Cooking Goddess is also brilliant) is a hearty eater, this would fit the bill!
I personally don't use that 3rd piece of toast, but I do add some real nice slices of Ham.

And I do like the idea of dessert after the walk of Brownies (homemade please) with Tea and/or Coffee.

@KatyCooks this would be dead simple to do, just have your mise en place ready to go once he arrives, toast the bread of choice, build and serve.

Oh and yes, I think that I would prefer to referred to as his Lady Friend, very proper and civilized. Good on ya @dragnlaw

As a side note: that's how I seemed to have hooked my DH many years back, I fed him lunch where we both worked - no romantic implications, just a meal.

Not too sure about that, Badjak. Look at it this way: maybe not a bad idea to invite the guy into the kitchen and join in making the dish. Since a walk afterward is on the schedule, why not a light pasta dish--quick, easy, provides carbs for energy, and results in co-operative exchanges: Say, do you salt the water before or after it boils? Do you taste as you go al dente or just go with the cooking times o the package? Etc. I hope KatyCooks realizes she has everybody rooting for her and will keep us posted. This is practically a Netflix series already.
Oh yes.
Totally agree.
I should have said "you don't want to spend too much time alone in the kitchen" :)
Total different story with 2, and it's probably what I would do
(Which is maybe not a good recommendation as I am single :) :) )

@KatyCooks so did you have your gentlemen friend over for lunch yet?
Busy body's want to know :)
No. Not so far. Cooking for a guy seems like a big deal for me! So I am taking very small steps. He was at my home this evening and we got takeaway. Next step - me making lunch?

Last edited:
:) that's OK Katy, take your time.
Lunch to me does not involve cooking of any sort. Maybe reheating - you could conveniently have some left over quiche you could reheat along with a very simple salad, or just slices of tomato and sticks of cucumber, before going for that walk. This way you are just throwing it together only because it was there and he's come by.

I would vote for "prospect"...but I'm thinking you might not like that term? It has been my experience that most men enjoy food that they can pickup with their hands...

Anyway, sometimes, I look at menus online to get some inspiration. We have a sandwich joint called "Firehouse Subs"...they make subs with a twist. Most of them (if not all) are hot or at least warm. They "steam" the sandwich meat & cheese part. Then add they build the sub. Here's a link to their site: Firehouse Subs - they are good, but a bit pricey, so I enjoy making them at home more often than going to the restaurant.

Well, it turns out there is to be no romance. However, there will be friendship, and so the wonderful suggestions here will not go to waste. A lunchtime walk and lunch is still on the cards. And next weekend we are going to see my rugby team (London Irish) together, and in May, we are going to the Chelsea Flower show (a pretty big deal in the UK).

I would LOVE to go the the Chelsea Flower show! I know it's a big deal - not just the public but especially the growers! First time I really heard about it was in a Murder Mystery and since then have often seen it referred to in various ways and circumstances.
Lucky You!

I am actually pretty excited about the CFS dragnlaw! I have never been but have always wanted to go! We are going on the last day, when you can buy plants. Which is very exciting. I am trying very hard to make a lovely courtyard at my home, so this will be a brilliant opportunity to get some great plants.

Well then, be sure to take notes! LOL, looking forward to your thoughts - what you purchased - speaking of which, be sure to take plastic to line the boot. Plants can be messy.
Also a note pad, to mark down plants you might 'want' to get. Plust the nursery's name and number!
OMGosh... feel like I'm going with you. Starting to get Spring Fever here.

Well, it turns out there is to be no romance. However, there will be friendship, and so the wonderful suggestions here will not go to waste. A lunchtime walk and lunch is still on the cards. And next weekend we are going to see my rugby team (London Irish) together, and in May, we are going to the Chelsea Flower show (a pretty big deal in the UK).
Friends are important!

Well then, be sure to take notes! LOL, looking forward to your thoughts - what you purchased - speaking of which, be sure to take plastic to line the boot. Plants can be messy.
Also a note pad, to mark down plants you might 'want' to get. Plust the nursery's name and number!
OMGosh... feel like I'm going with you. Starting to get Spring Fever here.
Wow! DGL, you are really up on this sort of thing!! I am amazed that the CFS is even known about by anyone in the US. Anyway, it's still a way off, but spring is "springing" in the south of England and I am busy potting on Petunias for my hanging baskets and biding my time before I can plant out my Begonias! Meanwhile, I have put in a water feature (a very small, solar powered item), and taken the secateurs to my beloved Sundowner Phormium. All of which is not food related, so I probably need to curtail this thread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom