Low Sodium Italian Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This came out really good. - Low Sodium Homemade Italian Sausage

This sausage was important for me to make for two reasons. First, it has half the salt of the recipes I found, good for my health. Second, I got to work with a young man and teach him the techniques of sausage making, explaining what was done, and why it was done. That was fun, and he enjoyed the one-on-one with me, big plus for me. It tasted very good, with a well balanced flavor. I made this with the help of a 12 year old young man who did a very good job. He basically did everything except cut the meat and fat into strips, and stuff the casings. We fried up two small patties of the sausage to test the seasonings. This recipe is a winner.

Unlike most directions state though, we only used the coarsest grinding plate so that we’d get a heartier texture. We also ground kept the meat partially frozen while grinding to enhance the texture.

Ingredients:

• 1 3-lb. skinless, boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 1–2" pieces
• 1 lb. Pork fat
• 2 tsp. kosher salt*
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds,
• ½ tbs. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 2 tsp.s paprika
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 tbs.. freshly pressed garlic
• 1 tsp. Dried oregano
• 1 tsp. Dried sweet basil
• ½ tsp dried thyme
• 1 tbs. Granulated onion powder
• 3 tablespoons dry red wine
• 2 29–32-mm-diameter natural hog casings

Mix together the garlic, and seasonings in a bowl. Cute the meat and fat into 1 inch, by 3 inch strips. Run strips of meat and fat together through thr meat grinder, and into a large bowl. Grind about a third of the meat into the bowl at a time, and sprinkle with the seasonings. Repeat this until all of the meat, fat, and seasonings are used up. Add the wine.

Gently fold the mixture together until everything is well blended. Make a small patty and fry it up to test the seasonings. Place the sausage mixture into a zipper-freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in the refrigerator overnight to let the seasonings really flavor the mixture.

When ready to stuff the sausage, wash the hog casings in cold running water. Run water through the casing to remove the salt. Place the casings into a water filled bowl. Ad three tbs white vinegar to the water. This will make for a more tender skin on the finishes sausage,. Let the casings soak for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. (93’ C.). Stuff the casings with the cold sausage mixture according to your sausage stuffer directions., Twist at 10 inch intervals to form links. .Place the sausages onto a wire rack, over a suitable cookie sheet that has been lined with foil, or parchment paper. Place into the fridge for 1 hour to dry the skins. Prick the sausage casings to remove any air bubbles. Also, prick to allow steam to escape to prevent the sausage from bursting while cooking. Place in to oven and bake for 3 hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 190’F. Remove and let cool. Place in freezer bags, and refrigerate or freeze until ready to eat. This sausage can be eaten cold, but is better hot. You will love it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom