Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am asking for advice from the entire Mod/Admin team.

The biggest reason for not allowing blog links is we are here to discuss cooking, not driving members to other sites.

If they are your recipes, I see no problem with posting the entire recipe here.

PrincessFiona is decidedly female, BTW. The avatar is a picture of me, a long time ago.

Glad you cleared that up.. I was wondering why some little kid was chastising me for some of my posts.. :wacko::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

PrincessFiona is decidedly female, BTW. The avatar is a picture of me, a long time ago.

And what a little princess you were!

This is a gray area I suppose. This site not being intended as a vehicle to drive outside commercial interests. I've ran in to that before, its a self-site protection thing. But since this site doesn't seem to market anything commercial (that I'm aware of) even a pro-blogger is really not in direct conflict of interest if that blogger is not running a forum venue like this. I'm all about fighting spam, but also all about the free exchange of information. I can assure you from what I've seen, Buttoni only has a link in her signature for most postings. She is involved in writing low-carb cookbooks but states that she is not monetarily compensated for it, only providing links to those cookbooks where they can be purchased from her own blog.

I never thought of these type of rules when I suggested she come here, I was just excited that she would be an excellent asset for the members here with her work and she has helped me on another site without asking anything of me or pushing any kind of product, only indicating where certain products can be found, which is helpful because low carb baking requires a LOT of pantry ingredients...some of which are not in every supermarket.

I stopped posting on Smokin' meats forum for the reverse problem. Every time someone posts something it seemed like the rear-end-kissers to the site ownership HAD to plug the products the owner purveys as the solution to every problem! It was hard to have a "discussion" without being told you need to "get that product"...and doubly, they are very finicky about the posting of links from other sites! I was just there excited about smoking foods...I suppose I'm a bit naive to think everyone out there is just as excited about the exchange of information and ideas, rather than money.

This site like all others has the right to define its rules. It will be what it is.

Last edited:
I can contribute to the forum, my husband has been on a low-carb diet, not exactly keto, but more high protein than high fat. So far he's lost 20 lbs in one month, but he was a big guy to begin with, 6', 260#s.

I've been cooking a lot of meat, a lot of steak. I've also been cooking keto recipes with moderate success. I can start posting my meals here. I've been wanting to practice my recipe writing.

I've been wanting to practice my recipe writing.

I look forward to seeing some of them Smokeydoke. I enjoy the process too. Folks like us can encourage each other, we need it here, there are some pretty...lets say "abrupt" folks here who can make your efforts feel like a total waste of time. Let the haters hate and we'll try to learn and share.

I look forward to seeing some of them Smokeydoke. I enjoy the process too. Folks like us can encourage each other, we need it here, there are some pretty...lets say "abrupt" folks here who can make your efforts feel like a total waste of time.

Sounds great! I'm a decent home cook but my recipe writing is atrocious. I look forward to the journey. :chef:

Well Smokey...one thing I'm learning is, not only do I write too much, but some of what I write is taken way off of what my intent is.

I supposed the balance is where to be. I hope I can find it. After all, I'm here for fun and to escape negativity. Just wanting to "Discuss Cooking" not argue about it.

Chef Kenny: I appreciate anyone who is going to try, it's not like the keto forum is taking off. I don't know why I even bothered to post, I guess I needed a place to practice my recipe writing before I posted onto my blog. And people here sure like to give their opinion.

You gotta write for your targeted audience. There's people out there who actually care that you used arrowroot rather than xantham gum and they want to know why. You need to find these people.

Last edited:
Oh....hi, all! Been a while since I've dropped in. Down 75#, strictly keto. I am still learning. Less animal fat, more coconut oil for cooking, olive oil for raw consumption. Cheese is a staple but only aged at least two years. All the lactose has been converted by that time, just fat and protein. Lot of green salads, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Occasionally, crepes or pancakes made with almond flour, still eating my beef gelatin.
I moved off animal fat in quantity because my VA doctor did some tests and told me I have a fatty liver. He said my diet should fix it, if I lower the animal fat intake, sooooo.
And I have not been taking my blood ketone numbers. Seems like after a while, I know when I'm in the zone and when not. Haven't baked in forever, and if I didn't use the meat grinder and pelican, my N50 would be out the door. Grateful for this forum, thanks for being here, everybody.

Great results Gadzooks! I'm a recent returner here myself. Hoping to see some more activity here and some cooking, products and recipes.

Backing off

To all the nice people here who would care or wonder, I'm pulling back from DC again. I was excited about the new Low Carb forum and I hope it does well and serves the members well.

I need to move along to more compatible places for me. Feel free to PM me, I'm not requesting any action from the site on my account at this time so I should be accessible.

I appreciate the kindness of those who have been kind. I'm only making this post because I came on strong with excitement about this new forum, and didn't want to just fade away without comment.

All the best to you folks!

How does anyone stick to a keto diet? I think it must suit those with small appetites. I've tried all sorts of things, but unless I bore myself to death eating pulses every day, keto foods just don't fill me up. I end up moody and snacking then defeating the purpose of the diet!

I have some braising steak in my freezer, and what goes with braised steak? Some good mashed potatoes, right?

I haven't tried the keto diet, but I did follow the Atkins, low carb diet for about two years. I never found that it was not filling. You eat some protein and a whole bunch of low carb vegis. Adding seasonings, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). butter, or bacon to food makes it more interesting. I found it much easier to follow than trying to cut out fat.

How does anyone stick to a keto diet? I think it must suit those with small appetites. I've tried all sorts of things, but unless I bore myself to death eating pulses every day, keto foods just don't fill me up. I end up moody and snacking then defeating the purpose of the diet!

I have some braising steak in my freezer, and what goes with braised steak? Some good mashed potatoes, right?
Been a while since I've been here, but apparently I'm still on the email list for threads I participated in.

Any diet is hard. Period. You have to give up something if you are going to lose weight...assuming one has a weight problem. For me, getting winded simply walking was my sign I was fat. Let alone trying to do actual labor, you know, like digging a hole with a shovel or using a chainsaw? Yea thats "country" stuff, I know.

I lost 40lbs on a low fat diet 25 years ago. Then got fat again when I stopped. Lost 40lbs on a low carb "Keto" diet 6 years ago. I've gained roughly 7lbs back because we "cheat" and "splurge"...too much lately.

I dont intend to gain it all back. I have work to do...a LOT of firewood to cut and split, otherwise my property would be a fire hazard from all the downed trees. I cant do that effectively if I'm too fat.

Low carbing is a lifestyle. Fortunately there are more and more products out there that help. There is a product called "mashers" that fills the mashed potato void, and now there are lower carb pastas, actual pastas (not keto, but lower carb). You wont find them usually at your average grocery store because most people are fine being fat and actually resent the idea of giving up their constant bread (there are decent low carb breads now too), pasta and rice. I understand...it made me mad at first too. But stores are only now catching up to the population of low carbers, so Netrition and places like that are the go-to. Not cheap though.

I was complaining (on another web site with less jerks) of the hardship of low carbing when I first started when someone said, you dont love a great steak off the grill with bernaise sauce? Then gave me a great recipe for an easy microwave bernaise sauce. Yes, life can continue if you skip the potatoes, have a larger steak and stick with a nice salad. That was the lesson, and it was delicious!

Another reason I am able to stay lower carb? I feel much better, and the chronic heartburn I lived with for decades is gone. Thats right, its not the hot peppers or the fatty foods...it was the carbs. I eat too many carbs, especially stuff like pizza and subs, and within a long weekend of splurging I am done with the bread because the heartburn is back. I no longer need any drugs, etc. for heartburn.

I started a weight reduction effort nearly a year ago I have lost 70 lbs. so far and I have 30 lbs. to go. I eat whatever I want and what I ate a year ago. I just eat less of it than I used to. I like carbs. I eat them every day. The doctor told me the answer to taking fewer calories was portion control, not the makeup of the calories. I believe he was right. Strawberry shortcake this evening for desert. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom