Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle, you can probably find them in your local grocery store. Market Basket by us has them in the produce section, right in the same area that they sell fresh won ton wrappers and such. I bought them when they had them on sale for something like 2/$3. Didn't like them when we had them in something like a lo mein dish. I started to poke around online to see what I could find about them, just in case I wanted to try again. Your post made me poke a little more. Found an article that might be of interest to you: How To Cook & Like Shirataki Noodles | The KetoDiet Blog

Kayelle, you can probably find them in your local grocery store. Market Basket by us has them in the produce section, right in the same area that they sell fresh won ton wrappers and such. I bought them when they had them on sale for something like 2/$3. Didn't like them when we had them in something like a lo mein dish. I started to poke around online to see what I could find about them, just in case I wanted to try again. Your post made me poke a little more. Found an article that might be of interest to you: How To Cook & Like Shirataki Noodles | The KetoDiet Blog

:LOL: Great minds running in the same track CG!! I just finished reading it when I came back here. We must have been reading there at the same time.;)

They might be at our local grocery, I'll have the SC look for them. I ordered 8 pks from Jet.com and they should be here in two days. When I was watching the video from James last night I was drooling when he added the noodles. Now I can do that! Wooo Hooo!!

Last edited:
I've been using these for quite a while now - just not very often. I've never been a big pasta eater, so I haven't missed noodles all that much. I do like them in Asian cuisine, though.

The miracle noodles work wonderfully for Pad Thai or Ramen type dishes.

Don't forget to cut them babies! If you try twirling just one strand around your fork it ends up being almost too big to fit into your mouth. ;) Sauce doesn't stick to these noodles like it does with flour-based noodles but they add the perfect touch of authenticity under curry & stir fries.

I have been trying them in several dishes. They do have a very earthy/bland taste. Noodles/Pasta has been something I have really missed on low carbing. These are not great tasting but they fill the void. Kayelle - please post your evaluation once you have tried them. Oh yea - the pack I get from Walmart (may be some of the problem) requires them to be washed to get rid of some of the earthy smell.

I have been trying them in several dishes. They do have a very earthy/bland taste. Noodles/Pasta has been something I have really missed on low carbing. These are not great tasting but they fill the void. Kayelle - please post your evaluation once you have tried them. Oh yea - the pack I get from Walmart (may be some of the problem) requires them to be washed to get rid of some of the earthy smell.

I used them in an Asian stir fry tonight. I learned on a low carb blog they must be treated properly for good results.

I had read about the smell. When I opened them into a colander I could smell something unpleasantly fishy and after about 3 minutes of rinsing under cold water, I boiled them in fresh water for 2 minutes as directed, and then dried them out completely in a dry wok, and set it aside. Did all that in the wok I'd be using for the stir fry, so it was no big deal. I added them to the velveted chicken and veggie stir fry and they added an unusual dimension I'd been missing. My conclusion is they are a great guilt free food if prepared properly.
Now I'm wondering about their use in Linguini and Clam sauce, guilt free.

We haven't had any activity on this thread for a few months now, so I thought I'd just jump in here. Yes, I'm still doing keto.

Today I had a rare dessert craving. I found this recipe online for keto blueberry-lemon muffins. I had no lemons, but I had everything else. I ended up adding about a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I also used more sweetener than the recipe called for. They came out great, and I found it really satisfied my sweet tooth. It's a winner!

img_1478276_0_1fef7b20d264045a6db377a48388ae39.jpg

Those look good!

I am still on my journey, finding it hard to control eating while at work. Food keeps me awake...

Hi Steve - these look great. low carb works great for me, I just struggle when I travel for some reason. I am always interested in any recipe that you have that are T&T. thanks

Hal

Want to know what happens when you just have a little pasta here, a little bread there, a few french fries for a couple weeks? I know, gained 5 lbs.

I went back on less than 20 g carbs again, starving for 3 days, ate almost no carbs and ate my fill. Lots of protein, fat, some vegetables. I was full on the 4th day. All is well, I'm back on low carb again. Things feel good too.

I ran across the shirataki tofu macaroni (2 servings) at a select grocer. They had a funny texture, kind of squinchy, not tender like macaroni, but edible. I'll finish the second serving but I'm not sure I liked it that much. Another thing I picked up was some tempeh. I've never eaten it before. It's low in carbs per serving. I'm going to give it a try very soon.

I LIKED the tempeh a lot, good texture, nutty mild flavor. I made it like Larry recommends, browning slices of it in oil. Then I made a curry, with curry paste, onions, garlic S&P, tomato sauce, coconut milk, zucchini. Once I had the sauce boiling, I put the browned tempeh in, and cooked it all down until it was a thick sauce. I liked it, a lot. I'll get that again. It has 3 carbs per serving. That was my first time trying tempeh.

Looks like I joined the club. Doc says I have to cut back on carbs...It's been a week and I have lost 8 lbs...basically just meat, cheese and vegetables so far. Feel good but hoping to get more variety in my meals...I'm going to go hardcore for a month, when I go back to see him. Then, once(if) I can get down to a desired target, I will start introducing more things. I don't know much about diets as I have always eaten and drank whatever I wanted. Which is why I am here, I suppose..:LOL:

Welcome to the club Rock. It's really not as hard as you might think. Occasionally I miss food high in carbs, but not often anymore. It's just a different way of thinking actually. I know you love to cook, as I do, and you'll find it's an interesting culinary adventure in time.
Best of luck...you're sure off to a great start!!

Butter and Coconut oil, Roch! Toss eggs in there for some variety. Seafood is your friend, too...especially oily fish. Good Luck!

I'll be making this on Sunday:

Close to Keto Purple Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients for Pie Crust

½ to 1 tablespoons chilled butter to grease the pie dish

4 tablespoons chilled butter cut into tablespoons
4 tablespoons chilled lard or palm oil shortening measured out in tablespoons
1¼ cups almond flour
¼ cup potato starch
½ cup tapioca flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ingredients for Pie Filling

2 cups mashed/puréed organic purple sweet potatoes (approximately 2 purple sweet potatoes – one medium and one small)
1 tablespoon butter
5.7-ounces full-fat canned coconut milk, blended
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup maple syrup (leave out if totally Keto)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter.

For the crust:
Add dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse to combine.
Add butter and shortening in tablespoon sized pieces. Add the egg, salt and vanilla. Process for several minutes until the dough forms into a ball.
Place dough in the middle of the greased pie dish.
Grease your fingers with some butter and flatten the dough until the bottom and the sides of the dish are evenly covered.
Poke the dough on the sides and bottom with a fork.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.

For the filling:
While crust is cooking, wash, peel and cut sweet potatoes into chunks. In medium sauce pan cover potato with water and cook, covered, until tender. Remove from heat and drain leaving just a small amount of the water.
Add butter and mash with a hand masher or puree in a food processor.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, maple syrup, blended coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Sprinkle the spices over the top of the potato mixture blend together until spices are troughly mixed with no lumps.

Pour the sweet potato pie filling on top of the crust, flatten crust if needed.
Bake 50 minutes or until pie filling is set. Let cool x 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream.

Hi Steve - have you made this before? Would be interested in your evaluation.
It's a first for me, but I generally trust Carolyn's dessert recipes. The only bad one I ever had was a chocolate cake recipe that came out dry - and in all honesty it may have been my own fault.

I'll report back after we have it on Christmas. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom