Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Steve - have you made this before? Would be interested in your evaluation.
Hal, I completely forgot to come back and give my report. First of all, I changed up the dessert. I ended up making a Kahlua Cheesecake instead of the chocolate one I originally planned. It ended up being a fantastic choice. It was light and creamy and delicious.

Here's the recipe I used:
Low Carb Cheesecake Recipe | All Day I Dream About Food

Photo:
img_1494618_0_4306e841e23e6fe62ee85c2325c2c534.jpg

That looks really yummy. Where does one buy granulated erythritol?
I buy it here at my local co-op under the brand name of Swerve. It looks like Amazon sells it in Canada, but for a lot more than what I can get it for. I pay $6 for a 340g bag, which is a lot more expensive than sugar, but then again, I only bake a couple of times a year.

Other sweeteners can easily be substituted.

Link here:
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_s...13IMT8YIP9Z8A&rh=i:aps,k:erythritol+sweetener

Bliss, so far I'm ok without bread, but you hit the nail on the head when you said:" Crackers are one thing I am always looking for, to top with cheese, cheese spreads, liver sausage. None of those foods are quite as nice eaten alone or on lettuce leaves."
Cheese without crackers is tragic.
I'm sure no baker, but I came across this recipe the other day, and I might give it a go. I adore sesame seeds.
Gluten-Free Sesame Crackers Recipe | Elana's Pantry

Kayelle, I've been making a cracker much like the recipe link you posted and it turns out pretty good. I use about 1/3 C almond meal, 1/3 C processed hulled sesame seeds, 1-3 T of chick pea flour, 1/3-1/2 vegetable roasted down to almost dry (cauliflower, broccoli, tomato), 1 egg, 1 T oil, 1/2 t salt, processed in a food processor to a paste. Spread it between two layers of parchment, and roll it out as thin, almost see through, remove the top layer of parchment, score them, bake at 170 degree F for hours, then turn them over and leave them in the oven for another couple hours. It's half way between baking and dehydrating. I sprinkle in a little rosemary or thyme when I make them. A cup or cup and a quarter of paste will cover the back of a half sheet pan.

The broccoli one, you can kind of taste the broccoli. The cauliflower one, I can't tell it is cauliflower. I haven't tasted the tomato one yet. This all makes me a happy camper.

Hi, all! New to the keto way, and so grateful to find you here. Started off with a seven day fast, water and the turmeric paste I make and take for inflammation, so about eighty calories a day, mostly fat (coconut oil and turmeric), low carbohydrate. Went from there to green salads, red meat, skin-on poultry and fish. So, all told, I'm about two and a half weeks into this, and I clearly have a lot to learn.

Hi, all! New to the keto way, and so grateful to find you here. Started off with a seven day fast, water and the turmeric paste I make and take for inflammation, so about eighty calories a day, mostly fat (coconut oil and turmeric), low carbohydrate. Went from there to green salads, red meat, skin-on poultry and fish. So, all told, I'm about two and a half weeks into this, and I clearly have a lot to learn.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

My most recent keto "find" doesn't involve food at all, but rather the lack of it. :)

For the last few weeks, I've been experimenting with a technique known as intermittent fasting (or IF) which is described in several keto resources, where you rely entirely on fat stores to provide fuel, rather than dietary fat.

Today I'm on the second day of a fast that began Tuesday evening. Weirdly, I don't feel much hunger at all. In fact I feel great, and was even able to go for a workout yesterday afternoon. I guess this is one of the advantages of being fully adapted to burning ketones instead of glucose derived from carbohydrates. Six months ago I wouldn't have been able to go without food for more than 12 hours at most.

The only "food" I've consumed has been coffee with cream in the morning, and just water for the remainder of the day. Tonight I plan on having a real dinner.

This has also (not surprisingly) brought my blood sugar down considerably. Yesterday it was in the low to mid 70s most of the day. When I got up this morning it was 79. Normally my BG is always around 90 in the morning. I'll continue to check it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop too low.
Last year my daughter, who was a gestational diabetic was diagnosed with DM2. Instead of taking the metformin, I had her do intermittent fasting with a keto diet. She dropped 50 pounds in 6 weeks, normalized her blood sugar and has kept her DM reversed ever since.
We have a lot of patients on Keto diets...my favorite book is "Fat Bombs" Tons of recipes for sweet or savory treats that are keto friendly. The smoothies are amazing and I add a few ice cubes and turn it into an icy shake...yum.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Savory...UTF8&qid=1503004529&sr=1-1&keywords=fat+bombs

Holler if you need ideas or have questions. Good Luck.

Just checking in...dropped close to 40 lbs. in bout 9 1/2 weeks. I have added gelatin to my diet, so my skin still fits as I shrink. Unflavored, of course. I'm bringing back aspic. Using plenty of chicken or beef broth, and the occasional tomato juice with lemon and Tabasco. Add boiled, peeled shrimp and it's shrimp cocktail aspic. Side of horseradish. Pretty good.

Gadzooks! My goodness, you've mastered it and you are reaping the benefits. Excellent for you. Good work!

Just checking in...dropped close to 40 lbs. in bout 9 1/2 weeks. I have added gelatin to my diet, so my skin still fits as I shrink. Unflavored, of course. I'm bringing back aspic. Using plenty of chicken or beef broth, and the occasional tomato juice with lemon and Tabasco. Add boiled, peeled shrimp and it's shrimp cocktail aspic. Side of horseradish. Pretty good.

:clap:

Due to interest and a number of our members who are on LCHF/Ketogenic Diets, this sub-forum has been added under Health, Nutrition and Special Diets If you have a thread already started, report it for me and I can get it moved to the new sub-forum.

Thanks, JanetH for making this come about!

Totally excited about the new forum. I plan to take some time to read through this thread and see whats been going on for the last 2-1/2 years.

Man that cheesecake looks fantastic Steve. I think i have all of those ingredients too.

Hi, there. Been low-carbing since 2009. I have a question. I see people are linking to other websites for recipes, so that appears to be allowed. But after reading the site rules, if I'm understanding them all correctly, although I have a low-carb recipe site with over 1,400 recipes now, I cannot ever link to them here because I have been a contributing member of the LOW CARBING AMONG FRIENDS team that publishes cookbooks (8 volumes now). I personally chose not to accept any payment for my contributions in those cookbooks and have since actually "retired" from posting for them. But I continue to promote their cookbook sales on my website as a courtesy to my dear friend, Jennifer Eloff, who has been low-carbing even longer than I have. Am I understanding this correctly? That my site would be considered a "for profit" site (although not MY profit) and I can never share my low-carb/keto recipes on this forum?

Last edited:
Am I understanding this correctly? That my site would be considered a "for profit" site (although not MY profit) and I can never share my low-carb/keto recipes on this forum?

That would be unfortunate and pretty stupid in my opinion if this were the case. Why would a cooking site repel even professional cooks? I can dig blocking spammers, but if a chef is actively participating in the forum and not just spamming to promote some other web site; this seems like an excellent value for the site members.

Nothing says I cant link it does it?

https://buttoni.wordpress.com/

If so, boot me. I was about to begin my photo and recipe sharing with one of Buttoni's recipes that I have made repeatedly and even adjusted the recipe method to suit my own preferences. I know I'm not supposed to direct copy and paste the work of someone else, so my intention was to link to Buttoni's recipe(s) (And others in the future, not just hers), and only share my experiences with them and photos from my work in the kitchen, only actually posting text of a recipe if I have modified it from the original ingredients or directions to show the modifications I have made...and of course any original recipes or works of my own.

I invited Buttoni over to this fledgling forum because she has been a huge help to me over at another Low Carb forum site, and I think she and her blog would be very beneficial to the forum members here. You can see she's no stranger to the quirks of sites like these and their sometimes restrictive rules, she's trying to stay in the lane.

I look forward to the ruling on this. PrincessFiona has been monitoring these LC threads, maybe She (that's assuming Princess is a female, I dont know for sure), will chime in soon to advise.

Last edited:
Under Rules:
  • NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest.
  • Do not use posts to promote your blog, videos, surveys or contests. You may place a single link in your signature to a noncommercial blog.

As times have changed, many blogs have added links to make a profit. These then become commercial blogs. I don't blame them. It's not up to us to decide the rules of the forum.

I don't know what PF will decide, but there is nothing here stating you can't put your own recipes, or variations on other's recipes here to share. I am looking forward to reading more low carb recipes so I hope you both enjoy it here.

I am asking for advice from the entire Mod/Admin team.

The biggest reason for not allowing blog links is we are here to discuss cooking, not driving members to other sites.

If they are your recipes, I see no problem with posting the entire recipe here.

PrincessFiona is decidedly female, BTW. The avatar is a picture of me, a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom