Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pepperoni chips, sliced pepperoni cooked in the micro till crisp 60-90 seconds.

Parmesan Crisps Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Dips are anything I want to mix into cream cheese, I have a Nutribullet and it does a great job with anything I toss in. Favorite is green olives.

Stuffed green olives and cream cheese is a great filling for crunchy celery stalks, sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top! :yum:

A few of them stuck together, with the filling between two pieces of celery, are a nice addition to a picnic or bag lunch.

Last edited:
Don't know if this would be a keto-dish...I took two rutabaga, 1/2 head of cauliflower. Mashed those together with some coconut oil, made a pizza crust with some nutritional yeast. I baked that for about 20 minutes and then topped it with sundried tomatoes, spinach, moz. cheese, Gouda cheese, black olives, Italian spices, fresh basil--threw that back in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Not sure if this would be a Keto-dish or not, but the crust was really good! As were the toppings.

Ok, I have a question for the other keto/low carb eaters. Have any of you noticed an increase in vivid, colorful dreams since eating this way? I mentioned it to my wife last week, and she says she has noticed the same thing. This has only come about in the last month or so.

Nothing nightmarish, but just kooky wild dreams that I remember even after awakening. In one such dream a few nights ago, one of my dogs and I were astronauts on the International Space Station. Last night I dreamt that a friend stopped by and dropped off a dozen rhesus monkeys for me to watch while he went out of town on vacation. Weird stuff. :LOL:

The strangest thing is that for years I haven't had ANY dreams that I can recall. I'm sure I've been dreaming all along, but nothing that I've been able to remember until just recently.

Ok, I have a question for the other keto/low carb eaters. Have any of you noticed an increase in vivid, colorful dreams since eating this way? I mentioned it to my wife last week, and she says she has noticed the same thing. This has only come about in the last month or so.

Nothing nightmarish, but just kooky wild dreams that I remember even after awakening. In one such dream a few nights ago, one of my dogs and I were astronauts on the International Space Station. Last night I dreamt that a friend stopped by and dropped off a dozen rhesus monkeys for me to watch while he went out of town on vacation. Weird stuff. :LOL:

The strangest thing is that for years I haven't had ANY dreams that I can recall. I'm sure I've been dreaming all along, but nothing that I've been able to remember until just recently.

The weird dreams started for me when I used CHANTIX to stop smoking several years ago and they continue to this day.

I do notice that I sleep differently and require much less sleep when I pay attention to my carb intake. I think in the bad old days when I ate way too many carbs and heavy late night snacks I slept more like I was in a comma! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've always been an avid dreamer, so not much of a change there for me. However, I can say that I sleep better through the night whereas before I would wake multiple times for a variety of reasons.

It was ok. The texture was not quite right It wasn't bad per se but it was no quite what I would have hoped.

It also needed more mustard,and mayhaps some jalapeno.

Last edited:
It was ok. The texture was not quite right It wasn't bad per se but it was no quite what I would have hoped.

Sorry you didn't care for it.

Maybe you could salvage the leftovers by putting them into a casserole, topping it with some cheese or bread crumbs and baking it until its bubbly and brown on top.

Like my Mother used to say "You can eat it today or you can eat it tomorrow, but you're gonna eat it!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I made up a small batch last night to have with our steaks. I thought the same thing, Frank. It was okay, but there was something missing.

I'll add one more thing to your list: vinegar. I was kind of missing that potato salad tartness you get from a little apple cider vinegar.

Last edited:
I made another batch of the cauliflower salad today, this time using a whole bag of frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. (note that I am calling a spade a spade - it's not potato salad ;))

I made it up according to the recipe, with the following changes: I cut the mustard back to two tablespoons and used dijon instead of yellow mustard. No particular reason other than like the flavor of dijon better. I also added a packet of splenda, a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, and a half teaspoon of garlic powder.

It got a thumbs up from Mrs. K, so I'll take that as a good omen. We'll see how it tastes after it's been chilled. I may end up making this for an upcoming potluck.

Last edited:
That's great, Steve. I was thinking that if you all made it by just replacing potatoes with cauliflower in recipes you already know you like, you might be more successful in ending up with a tasty dish. Sounds like you kinda did that and it worked :)

Last edited:
I tried a recipe for low carb peanut butter cookies that tasted pretty good to me.

The original recipe called for.

1 cup natural peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda

Bake for 8-12 minutes at 350 degrees on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

I used a cup of Smucker's natural peanut butter, a medium egg, a half cup of Splenda essentials with fiber and a teaspoon of vanilla. I added two tablespoons of Hershey's sugar free baking chips to half of the dough. I portioned them onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper using a #40 3/4 ounce lavender disher and came up with 16 two bite cookies. I carefully flattened the cookies with a fork to give them that traditional crisscross pattern, baked them for exactly 8 minutes and let them cool on a wire rack.

I'm not sure if the Splenda has anything to do with the structure of the cookies. Next time I will reduce the Splenda to 1/4 cup and if that works I will try leaving it out.

The Hershey's sugar free chips were a great addition. I had never noticed them in the grocery store and was excited to find them in the local Walmart. The chips contain mannitol and may not be an acceptable option for everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom