Low carb Syrups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally agree about maple syrup vs substitutions. I get most of my maple syrup in cans from Quebec, which a family member brings back when she visits family (which hasn't been for a while now.). I like the pictures and recipes on the cans.

I'm kinda picky about what is called "maple syrup". I have been served crappy imitation stuff one too many times, when I was asked if I wanted maple syrup on pancakes or whatever.

I couldn't agree more. I never liked maple syrup cause I assumed the real stuff tasted like the cheap imitation stuff, until I visited Vermont and went on a Maple syrup tasting/ tapping tour/ discussion. At the end we sampled various "Real" maple syrup Grades. Loved all of them. None tasted like the imitation crap to the point where I dont even know how they developed that flavor.

For me now, its only real or nothing, until I started having issues with carbs and sugars in my diet. So, since If I want syrup on a regular basis I would need a substitute. That is how I came across the Monkfruit variety. Definitely not Maple syrup, but for those with a dietary / medical imitation, it works.

All that being said, Im not a big breakfast eater ( including waffles, pancakes..), fo my use for Maple syrup is occasionally when Im cooking / baking.

Just a clarifying note, I dont really like breakfast foods as mentioned above , but absolutely Love Bagels ( especially fresh ones , warm right out of the oven). Other than that, no pancakes, waffles , eggs .... for me .

\
Just a clarifying note, I dont really like breakfast foods as mentioned above , but absolutely Love Bagels ( especially fresh ones , warm right out of the oven). Other than that, no pancakes, waffles , eggs .... for me .

I love breakfast foods and could eat them all day, everyday. Ironically, I started intermittent fasting a few months ago and no longer eat breakfast, and definitely, no more pancakes. I do use maple syrup once in a while as a sweetener in yogurt etc.

Incidentally, my bloodwork has greatly improved since I started the 16-8 fast and avoiding carbs. Plus exercise, of course.

Last edited:
I love breakfast foods and could eat them all day, everyday. Ironically, I started intermittent fasting a few months ago and no longer eat breakfast, and definitely, no more pancakes. I do use maple syrup once in a while as a sweetener in yogurt etc.

Incidentally, my bloodwork has greatly improved since I started the 16-8 fast and avoiding carbs. Plus exercise, of course.

Glad what you're doing is working. The worst is when you make the effort with no results . Luckily, when I cut my carbs I also got good results. Breakfast foods are easy for me to give up, but pasta and bread sure aren't :yum:

You might try French omelets, or poached eggs with a runny yolk. Both are delicate, very tasty, low carb, and high protein. That could satisfy a breakfast craving without spiking your blood sugars.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks, yes, I love a poached egg and I'm actually very good at them! Though I know most people love that runny yolk and I can make them like that for others, I cannot abide an 'undercooked' yolk myself. Makes me want to hurl.

I'll have eggs most days after my fast. This isn't a thread about intermittent fasting, but my doctor's happy with the results, and so am I.

And yes, eggs are always a great choice! So versatile, tool

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom