Low carb Syrups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Aunt Bea for the support. For those of you who don't struggle with your weight and Blood sugar, I am happy for you. For those, like me, who do, its a stinking battle. Is trying to cut out all the good breads and pastas fun, no. Low carb works for me. Sorry if that doesn't fit your life style, but I really have no choice. My will power is awful when I am trying to cut down on portions so I can do low carb and actully loose weight. For the comments about pancakes not being low carb, there are several flour replacements out there that are acceptable on low carb. Carbquick is the one I use. Not as good as the Chief pancakes, but pretty good when its all you can have. Thanks for the suggestion Bakechef.

I'm sorry if it makes you unhappy, but the path you have chosen requires some sacrifice. If you're not ready to make those sacrifices, that's your choice. But if you're trying to eat more healthfully, I don't see how eating artificial flavorings advances that goal.

Last edited:
And I don't see how chastising someone for their choice of diet is helpful at all.

This poster was here looking for help, not a lecture.

Sometimes we have to look beyond our personal agendas, and offer encouragement even if we don't agree, or don't participate in the discussion at all.

No this isn't the path that I would choose, but I'm sure there are lots of people more than willing to tell me that I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:
No this isn't the path that I would choose, but I'm sure there are lots of people more than willing to tell me that I'm doing it wrong.

img_1335496_0_2b45d213831f0c2ac634e760a157af4e.gif

Yeah, well the thing is agave nectar won't spike your blood sugar levels, while high fructose corn syrup will put them right into the stratosphere!

As far as the author of the report you cited, do a Google search for Joseph Mercola, D.O. and see all the complaints filed against him by consumers, the Better Business Bureau, and the Food & Drug Administration. He's pretty much the poster boy for QuackWatch.

Last edited:
Yeah, well the thing is agave nectar won't spike your blood sugar levels, while high fructose corn syrup will put them right into the stratosphere!

As far as the author of the report you cited, do a Google search for Joseph Mercola, D.O. and see all the complaints filed against him by consumers, the Better Business Bureau, and the Food & Drug Administration. He's pretty much the poster boy for QuackWatch.

I just linked the first article that came up; there are 1000's of others to choose from if you were unimpressed by that one. ;) A "lower" blood sugar spike does not = healthy.

Do you really think that's the best way to get accurate, balanced information?

1.3 million results show up on the Google Search, feel free to browse a few: Dr. Weil, WebMD & Food Renegade -- all great reads, each with a little bit more / different info than the one before but all saying basically the same thing ... just like the first article.

Last edited:
1.3 million results show up on the Google Search, feel free to browse a few: Dr. Weil, WebMD & Food Renegade -- all great reads, each with a little bit more / different info than the one before but all saying basically the same thing ... just like the first article.

My point is that picking random search results may or may not provide balanced, accurate information. I prefer to choose a few sites I trust, or restrict my search to educational or governmental institutions so I get results based on scientific evidence. I especially avoid sites that seem to be primarily about trying to sell me something based on what their articles say.

This poster was here looking for help, not a lecture.

Sometimes we have to look beyond our personal agendas, and offer encouragement even if we don't agree, or don't participate in the discussion at all.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The OP is looking for help. Let's try and get this thread back-on-track. If you have a difference of opinion with something posted that is not related to answering the OP's question, please consider taking that discussion off-line to PMs. :chef:

I don't think anyone intended to chastise.

People were pointing out healthier alternatives to artificial syrup.

Artificial sweeteners don't help people lose weight. I remember reading about a study where some of the participants used artificial sweeteners and others used sugar. Those using sugar lost weight faster than those using the artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners may also be cause problems with blood sugar.

Here's the abstract to a paper published by the scientific journal Trends Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism - Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements

My point is that picking random search results may or may not provide balanced, accurate information. I prefer to choose a few sites I trust, or restrict my search to educational or governmental institutions so I get results based on scientific evidence. I especially avoid sites that seem to be primarily about trying to sell me something based on what their articles say.

I think there's a huge misunderstanding here. I linked one article, yes. But I certainly didn't base my response of off information in one article. If anything, I over-analyze. And sit on what I learn for awhile before coming to any conclusions. Typical introvert / INFP / Virgo kind of information processing.

The link was an example -- merely provided as a jumping off point for someone start doing their own research -- like all good internet savvy and informed people do ... right??

Next time I'll link more articles. ;)

Thanks Aunt Bea for the support. For those of you who don't struggle with your weight and Blood sugar, I am happy for you. For those, like me, who do, its a stinking battle. Is trying to cut out all the good breads and pastas fun, no. Low carb works for me. Sorry if that doesn't fit your life style, but I really have no choice. My will power is awful when I am trying to cut down on portions so I can do low carb and actully loose weight. For the comments about pancakes not being low carb, there are several flour replacements out there that are acceptable on low carb. Carbquick is the one I use. Not as good as the Chief pancakes, but pretty good when its all you can have. Thanks for the suggestion Bakechef.

You have to be commended for being so concerned regarding your diabetes. I can understand your battle. As most of us diabetics have done also. I hope you find your way to obtaining your goal. Good luck. :angel:

Have you tried using fruit butters? They are great on pancakes, waffles, and such. They are easy to make. You still have to use in moderation, but can have intense flavor so that you don't need as much.

Berries are great, naturally low in carns, high in nutrtional value, and don' really require extra sweetening. There are pectin products (pectin is a fiber) that you can use to make sugar free jams, jellies, and fruit preserves. If using fruits with edible peels, run the peels through a blender as that is wher the highest concentration of nutrients are found.

I aplaud you in trying to eat healthy. Equally important is an active lifestyle. And high stress causes the liver to release large amounts of stored sugar, which can negate every positive dietary pratice. Stress can absolutely destroy your life. I am a dialysis patient due primarily to stress. I was eating the right foods, highly active, with a regular cardio, and weight training regimen, and had well controlled blood sugars, until high stress over a sustaine period sabotaged all the positive things I was doing.

Oh, and one more thing, know your foods. For instance sweet potatoes can be low on the glycemic load scale, or very high, depending on how they are prepared. Though high in nutrient content, you need to be careful with them, and other root vegies. If you boil them until teder, they are very low. If you bake, bbq, microwave them, they rank right up there with sucrose.

Just sharing things from hindsight.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have found a product available in the US by Kodiak Cakes that is a super fruit syrup. It has a manageable carb load when combined with their protein flapjack mix. I have found it does not cause my sugars to spike too heavily and can be added to non diabetic drinks (this includes tonic water, and iced tea) as well for a treat in the summer.

This is an older thread, and non-calorie sweeteners have come a long way, especially now that keto is big.

Here’s one example - Monkfruit:
Monk fruit is a small melon, which is dried and made into a sweetener, like sugar. Monkfruit is 0-carb, sweeter than sugar, doesn’t raise blood sugar or cause the gastric problems with some of the isomalt sweeteners (one the doesn’t cause gastric issues for me is erythritol)

You can find Monkfruit and Erythritol-based sweeteners at Costco in Canada and the US.

Here’s a 5-calorie very low carb maple syrup recipe, if the OP is still on this forum:
https://thebigmansworld.com/keto-maple-syrup/

This is an older thread, and non-calorie sweeteners have come a long way, especially now that keto is big.

Here’s one example - Monkfruit:
Monk fruit is a small melon, which is dried and made into a sweetener, like sugar. Monkfruit is 0-carb, sweeter than sugar, doesn’t raise blood sugar or cause the gastric problems with some of the isomalt sweeteners (one the doesn’t cause gastric issues for me is erythritol)

You can find Monkfruit and Erythritol-based sweeteners at Costco in Canada and the US.

Here’s a 5-calorie very low carb maple syrup recipe, if the OP is still on this forum:
https://thebigmansworld.com/keto-maple-syrup/

That's not maple syrup. It might be a good tasting maple syrup substitute, but it's not maple syrup.

Of course it's not Maple Syrup, it's a a low-carb maple-flavoured substitute. I assumed everyone knows the difference between real Maple Syrup and low-carb substitutes, and it answered the OP's question.

Thank you for your comment and clarification!

I actually purchased a Monkfruit Maple Syrup substitute, and it was better than I thought it would be. A good alternative for those who have to watch their sugars.

I'm kinda picky about what is called "maple syrup". I have been served crappy imitation stuff one too many times, when I was asked if I wanted maple syrup on pancakes or whatever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom