Lost Cheesecake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aineeboz

Assistant Cook
My sister's friend Eldon brought this amazing cheesecake to many of our holiday get togethers. So much so that when we knew he was coming we asked for "Eldon's cheesecake".
It was tall, (about 4-5") flakey and it had a flour based crust. I asked for the recipe and happily was provided with it. I recall that it did not actually call for cream cheese but I believe cottage cheese. I never got around to making it. But it was absolutely amazing. Light, a touch lemony not anything like a dense NY cheesecake. We've since lost touch with this friend and it's been over 25 years now. I have never been able to find anything that comes close. Does anyone have a recipe for what I have described???

Ricotta cheesecake recipes are easy to find. Look some up and see if they look familiar. It is common to add lemon juice to ricotta cheesecakes, but I would use lemon oil instead.

Unfortunately it looks nothing like the original. This one is short and squat and flat looking. Eldon's was raised, flakey and almost raised. It was a good 4" tall. It was taller than the springform pan that he brought it in.

Unfortunately it looks nothing like the original. This one is short and squat and flat looking. Eldon's was raised, flakey and almost raised. It was a good 4" tall. It was taller than the springform pan that he brought it in.

To get that loft, separate the eggs, whip the egg white into soft peaks, and fold into the filling mixture. As the cheesecake bakes, it will expand, like a soufflé, giving it that light, airy texture you're looking for.

Another option is -
Crust:
Biscuit Pie Crust
Biscuit Pie Crust

A light and flaky biscuit like pie crust that is a great alternative to the pastry pie crust that uses a lot less butter. To change things up you can add some herbs to the crust. This biscuit crust works equally well in sweet pies like a peach pie or savoury pies like a chicken pot pie or a corn and tomato pie.
Normally when I am making a pie I go straight for my standard all butter crust but I recently came across the idea of a biscuit like pie crust that was just begging to be tried. This pie crust starts out a lot like a biscuit recipe where butter is cut into a mixture of flour and baking powder to form a coarse meal like texture and then milk is mixed in to form a dough. From there, instead of forming a disc and cutting out biscuits the dough is rolled out into a thin pie crust. As you might guess after seeing the baking powder in the ingredients, this crust will rise a bit as it bakes and it forms a really nice light and fluffy and yet crispy crust. One of the things that is good about this pie crust is that it uses significantly less butter than a butter crust which makes a great alternative for when you are trying to eat lighter.

Biscuit Pie Crust
ingredients
1 cups flour
1/2 tbs. baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tbs. sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
3/8 cup ice-cold milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter with pastry cutter, or in food processor until a pea-gravel crumb is formed. Add milk, and pulse until dough just comes together. Form into dough ball and press evenly into parchment lined spring-form pan. Dock the crust with a fork, brush with egg wash, and blind bake at 350' F. for 5 minutes.

Filling:
1 large egg, separated
50 g Cottage cheese, processed in food processor until smooth)
10 g unsalted butter
33 g (33 ml) heavy whipping cream
10 g granulated sugar
13 g cake flour
1 tsp. lemon juice + some zest
17 g granulated sugar for beating egg whites

In mixer, blend the butter, cheese, sugar, and egg yolk together into a smooth paste. Slowly add the cream and mix until smooth. Set mixture aside.

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into cheese mixture, gently so as not to break the egg white foam. Pour into crust, Wrsp the outside of the springform pan with plastic wrap. Place into roasting pan with enough water to come 3/4 of the way up the pan sides. Place into a pre-heated 425' oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325' F. and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top just barely jiggles. Turn off oven, leave door cracked, and let the cheesecake cool with the oven. Remove from the water bath, and take off the plastic wrap. Remove the springform sides, and chill for one hour. Top with apricot preserves.

This cheesecake is light, and fluffy like a soufflé, with the rich taste of cheesecake, but not dense and creamy like a New York style recipe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Quick question. It says 1 egg separated. And nothing about egg whites. Quite sure 1 egg white is not enough, recipe says egg whites. Can you clarify?

I made an error. Here is the correct list of ingredients.

First, make the crust. grease, and flour the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Put crust into the pan. Wrap pan in foil, on the outside to prevent water leaking into the pan.

Filling:
4 large eggs, separated
50 g Cottage cheese, processed in food processor until smooth)
10 g unsalted butter
33 g (33 ml) heavy whipping cream
10 g granulated sugar
13 g cake flour
1 tsp. lemon juice + some zest
17 g granulated sugar for beating egg whites

Preheat oven to 425'F.
In mixer, blend the butter, cheese, and egg yolk together into a smooth paste. Slowly add the cream and mix until smooth. Set mixture aside.

Beat egg whites to oft peaks. Continue beating while slowly adding the lemon juice, and sugar. Beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the filling mixture. pour into the crust. Place springform pan into a water bath, and into the oven. Bake for 60 minutes. Lower temperature to 325' F. and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, and let the cheesecake cool with the oven, with the oven door cracked open. The cake, when removed from the springform pan should jiggle a bit, and be tall, and very light. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom