Lobster Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
My son asked if I'd make loster bisque for him. I found this recipe and it was pretty good.

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
4 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons minced onion
3 cups cooked lobster meat, shredded (2 tails)
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup light cream

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and celery salt until well blended. Gradually stir in the milk so that no lumps form, and then stir in the chicken stock. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the soup begins to thicken. Add the onion and lobster; season with paprika. Cook and stir for 10 more minutes. Stir in the cream, heat through and serve.

Serves 6

that sounds good..Ive been looking for somwthing to make different for next weekend..I think I found it !

I would have liked it just a little bit thicker next time. I also put 4 lobster tails in and it was to much. In the recipe I posted I cut it down to 2. I think it would also be great with shrimp or crab meat.

Bryan S said:
Nick, Thanks for posting this recipe. You say it was pretty good? What would make it better in your opinion? :)
Mmmm, lobster bisque!!!
I'd be more inclined to use a stock made with the lobster shells and some shrimp shells. More cream, less milk, maybe a little more flour to adjust thickness. Never heard of a complaint about too much lobster.

oompappy said:
Bryan S said:
Nick, Thanks for posting this recipe. You say it was pretty good? What would make it better in your opinion? :)
Mmmm, lobster bisque!!!
I'd be more inclined to use a stock made with the lobster shells and some shrimp shells. More cream, less milk, maybe a little more flour to adjust thickness. Never heard of a complaint about too much lobster.

It did need more liquid. There was so much lobster it was almost a stew.

Made a pot tonight..the only thing I changed was I had to add more butter/flour mixture as I couldn't get it to thicken up..it was awesome. Made it as an appatizer and followed it up with beef on weck, mac salad (ya, leftovers) and tator tot's....

Kick the tots up a notch by cooking them on the grill ! A pita but well worth the extra effort !

Back
Top Bottom