Lion's Mane Mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We don't have a "Fungus" section, so I'll put it here in veg, even though mushrooms aren't scientifically vegetables.

Has anyone used these? Any good recipes? All I can find by searching is recipes from vegans. How to sauté a slice for a sandwich was the most interesting (to me) thing I gleaned. I tried it last night and those 'shroons are delicious and very meaty tasting.

I grew some from a kit about a year ago. I believe we just fried it up and served it as a side. They were quite tasty.

I found three sites just now and they all pretty much do the same thing. Fry'em up (using a variety of oils from Avocado to butter), add a shot of soy sauce or tamari, etc. and serve.

I grew some from a kit about a year ago. I believe we just fried it up and served it as a side. They were quite tasty.

I found three sites just now and they all pretty much do the same thing. Fry'em up (using a variety of oils from Avocado to butter), add a shot of soy sauce or tamari, etc. and serve.
Yeah, that's what I found too. But, most of the ones I saw added 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.

But, it looks like it can be used like meat, simply by treating it pretty much the way you would treat meat. Well, in recipes that use meat in small pieces.

Did you think it was good enough to grow them again?

What I had was a kit. They are expensive for what you get. If you're like Larry and have a "fungi finger" knack for growing them, maybe. that being said, I did not find them 'different' enough, other than visual interest.
Purchase them once in a while, but I personally would not get another kit - unless it was reduced to a ridiculous price like last time.
I found the kits for $5.00 in the fall at a nursery. Original prices were $35 or $45 dollars. We got "maybe" enough for 3 small side dishes. Perhaps we are just not meant to grow them... perhaps someone else would get more harvests out of them.... have no idea.

I grew a bunch a few months back. I tried 2 recipes. One was tearing them up in to little chunks and making the vegan equivilant to a crab cake. My wife loved them. The other was searing them between two cast iron pants to press them, then basically finishing them off/ glazing them with BBQ sauce,. The were also crispy and good. I think I posted it in DC somewhere.

Well, my DH said that if they tasted like crab to him, he would have hated them. I bet the other recipe could be finished with something other than BBQ sauce. I don't tend to enjoy BBQ sauce, so I never have any at home. Was it a specific type or brand of BBQ sauce? Was it sweet? Do you think that hoisin sauce, diluted with something not-sweet would work?

I think the hoisin sauce would work fine. It's been awhile, and I only made it once so I dont remember specifics. Ive never had crab before, so I cant compare, but to me it just has a mild mushroom flavor. It's more of a consistency thing. Because of its pom-pom shape and make up, it leaves a flakey texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom