Limoncello, another recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
This recipe is similar to the best we have had outside of Serento, Italy, at less then half the cost. Enjoy!:)

Limoncello

I - 750 ml bottle of grain alcohol or Everclear.
3 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups water
2 pounds lemons

Peel (no white part or it will be bitter) or zest lemons and place into a large glass container. Add alcohol. Let steep for at least a week (can leave longer) at room temperature, swirling or stirring once a day or so. At the end of the week, mix together water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a hard boil, let it boil for 3-4 minutes and then cool to room temperature. Strain alcohol so that no bits remain. Mix alcohol and sugar syrup (it may or may not turn cloudy), bottle and let it sit for at least a week (we keep in refrigerator but supposedly you don't have to because of high alcohol content). When ready to serve, place bottle in freezer for several hours (you can leave it in there, it won't freeze, just gets thick) and then serve in small glasses.

5 bottles grain
15 cups sugar
12-1/2 cups water
10 pounds lemons

Cream limoncello - 1 bottle

just short of 1/2 bottle grain alcohol
1-1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/8 cup water

We haven't made the cream stuff yet, so I won't vouch for it.

Craig

there is a good italian place near me, and at the end of the meal they come around with limoncello....they add just a touch of cream to the glass and it is very good

We live in Heritage Valley, which is supposedly the lemon capital of the US. There is some locally made Lemoncello, but we also found Orangecello, made the same way, but with blood oranges rather than lemons. It is quite good. I imagine you can modify the recipe to use blood oranges instead of lemons. I think I would cut back a little on the sugar.

You could make the Orangecello. There is, in fact, a commercially made brand made with just regular oranges, I think, sold across country, we've seen it in the liquor store, but never really looked at it. I've also seen a limecello.

You don't have to store the bottles in the fridge. We did discover, however, that after they've been stored a while, and I mean months and months, they will turn crystal clear after a while. We "lost" some in our first move and didn't find them until almost a year later. They still tasted okay, but not quite as good as when first made.

Last edited:
Look for a generic grain alcohol. Everclear and grain alcohol don't have a taste. Vodka does. Vodka is also not as high a proof as Everclear or grain alcohol. You may have to go to a large liquor store or ask a smaller 1 to order for you. A lot of p!aces don't carry either because it's so easy to get alcohol poisoning from them. The higher alcohol content is needed so the limoncello doesn't freeze when you put it in the freezer. It just gets thick and viscous.

Back
Top Bottom