Last update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Wow! Things have been happening. Hopefully the next time I post I'll be on my own computer.

I am now moved over to the other lot. About three weeks ago I found a 36ft 5th wheel to live in and that's on the lot now. I had hoped to be moved in already, with the propane for the stove and oven hooked up, septic and water. There were a few things I had to buy, like a septic hose and a bed and a toilet. So the first of this month that's what I bought.

Alas, I can't install the toilet myself, the septic hose won't be here for another week, I can't figure out how to hook up the water, the stove doesn't work, the bed won't be delivered till August, and now I can't afford to move my stuff out of storage till next month. So for now I'm still sleeping and cooking in the old trailer, but I am getting the new trailer fixed up at the same time.

I have the awning up and it was a godsend during the heatwave. I've planted wildflowers all along the edge of my "porch" and I have a bench and a table to just sit out there and veg on nice days. I started throwing out seed for the the chickadees and now have a couple of them, a chipmunk, a junco, and a red squirrel as close neighbors. Usually I sit out and referee the fights. The squirrel, who I call Reddy Kilowatt because he's such a live wire, likes to chase all the birds and the chipmunk away. It's sort of humbling to see a small furball no larger than my foot who can run faster, farther, and longer than me and has way more energy.

I've also had the deer with their fawns crossing my yard, saw a bald eagle once, and spied a bobcat one morning. A couple days ago a cougar was spotted right out on the road where my old lot was, just around the corner. I can do without meeting him.

I have a shed on the new property and I bought a bike but found out I can barely bike up the hills. A little more work is needed there but I only fell with it 4 times and that's not bad, considering I haven't ridden a bike since 1989.

I am so excited to have a fridge (albeit a small one) and electricity! Electricity rocks! I also bought a used washer and dryer. Of course, the washer is outside hooked up to a hose, so it's cold water washes only, but it beats going to the laundromat!

So all in all, things are going well. A friend is going to help me put in the toilet and when the septic hose arrives, the contractor will attach that and I'll have a real toilet again. Next month I'm going to get all my stuff out of storage and get it into the trailer. I bought a microwave and with a toaster oven and a hot plate, I may not have to use the stove. That would save the time and expense of propane.

I do need to buy a computer desk. Once I do that and my stuff is out of storage, I can hook up my computer, maybe sometime in late July or early August. In August, the shed roof will go up over the trailer and keep the rain off and then I can begin to look at maybe laying down a porch of some kind.

Once the contractor takes all his logs off the lot, I plan to fence it in two. The front half will be all my raised garden beds and fruit trees. Behind the fence I'll have a wildflower meadow. Behind that, there's still about 50ft of woods left and I may have all the brush cleared and just make a walking path through them. I have a small area behind the trailer where I can plant grass and I wanted a pool, but maybe I'll just get a soaking tub and put that back there. So I have lots of plans.

I hope you all had a happy 4th and that everything is going good. I'm finally on the library computer, but I need to go look for some books now. I'm so glad everything is finally open.

edited to add: while I may have a fridge and sort of a way to cook now, all my recipes are on my computer! So it's still going to be a while till I can actually cook anything as opposed to just heating stuff up in the oven.

Last edited:
rr, it sounds like your adventure has been moving along rather smoothly lately. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to when you'll be both cooking and posting regularly.

And watch out for those furry critters. They'll eat you and the birdies out of house and home. [emoji6]

Glad to have heard from you! think of you often and how it must be going for you. Sounds great and very happy for you!

Hey, everyone!

I thought I'd pop in here and give another update.

It looks like it will be a loooong time till I get internet service at my trailer. The only thing available is satellite and there's only 2 companies who supply that. Both are terrible, both are expensive, and both of them have data caps. Phooey.

Anyway, I finally got a Chromebook and I have it connected to WiFi but only until the 25th of April or so. The reason being is because I am currently in a nursing facility because I broke my ankle and literally couldn't take care of myself at home. Believe me when I say I can't wait to get this cast off.

Otherwise, everything is pretty much the same as my last post.

I now have a bed and I set it up in the living room of the trailer, thank heavens or I'd have been sleeping on the floor before I got here. I want to paint the bedroom before I move anything into it and the weather has to be somewhat decent so the paint will dry.

I now have indoor running water (although the hose had to be disconnected occasionally during the winter when the temp dropped to keep the spigot pipes from freezing), but I still don't have hot water. The water heater is rusted out and I'm thinking of getting an instant hot water system, but that probably won't be until next fall.

I also have a working stove top, but no oven. I've been looking at toaster ovens and hot air fryers, but most of them wouldn't fit my smallest casserole dish. A replacement oven is expensive and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

I also have a toilet and believe me, that is a game changer. Of course, one of the reasons I'm here is because I simply couldn't get up the two steps to get to the toilet. People if you're going to break something, break an arm. So much easier.

On top of that, the valve on the sewage tank is leaking. I was going to have that fixed when the ankle happened.

The wash machine froze one night and silly me, I didn't let it thaw before I used it, so I broke the drum. As both the washer and dryer are pretty well rusted even though they had several tarps on them, I think I'll wait and get a small shed before I go out to buy another pair. Live and learn. It wasn't so bad - the washer paid for itself a couple of times over by me not having to go to the laundromat.

My birds are having to fend for themselves while I've been gone and Reddy Kilowatt, the squirrel, has apparently decided to make my home his home, according to the neighbor who is picking up my mail and checking on things.

The roof still isn't up over my trailer and I'm beginning to think it won't ever be. That's OK, though, that's $6000 I won't have to pay the contractor.

We had a crazy year. After the heat in June, we had a week of freezing temps right after Christmas. Right after we got 14" of snow. So the snow hung around a while (meantime my old electric heater wouldn't work) and then we had 5" of rain over a day or two and then we had floods.

The lot to my right completely flooded, so the ditch that runs along our common lot line on my property completely filled up, which caused the neighbor's lot on the other side of me to completely flood and put a puddle of water 10' wide across my driveway.

Our road maintenance association plowed that bugaboo, Canyon Rd, with its 9 curves and 3 switchbacks, and it was a joy to go up and down it during the snowy weather. But in their zeal to make sure Canyon was driveable, the plowers didn't do nearly as good a job on the ridge road, which made it practically impossible for me to get to Canyon. It turns out I'm the only person up here without chains, cables, snow tires or 4 wheel drive. Figures.

I had planned to start a garden this year, but it looks like all I'll get done is set up the raised beds, get the dirt in, and maybe figure out a fence of some kind. By the time I get that all done this year, it'll be too late to get anything in.

Among other expenses this year has been a back door for my car (guess who thought they were in drive and reversed back into the trailer hitch?) and my front bumper is now being held on by two bungee cords. Then there's the oven, whatever I plan to do about it and the sewage tank. And I still have the second part of my taxes to pay. It never quits, does it?

So Imma browse some recipes for a bit. I want to say I'm so sorry to hear about Princess Fiona. The memorial was the first thing I saw and it was very sad, since I consider the people here to be my friends. I wish she was still here, as I'm sure you all do too.

Hey, rr, good to see you! Sometimes it pays to be an extreme night owl, me catching you here and all. It sounds like you're going through an even split of good and bad things happening, but the bad don't seem to have dampened your spirit. You have way more spunk than I have!

I hope your ankle heals up good and quick. Hobbling around isn't fun.

And yes, we miss PF. Her passing was sudden and sad.

Goodness, I was just thinking about you yesterday, rodenraiser!

Well, sorry about the ankle but glad it gave you the opportunity to catch us up.
See you got this all covered. LOL but now that you've had a (forced) rest and your game plan revised, get well quickly and don't break another bone!

When you do get home, be sure to tell Reddy K thank you very much for looking after place and now skeddle on to his own home. Don't need him finding a few wires or hoses to chew on. Squirrels are known for their misplaced enthusiasim to help.

Good to hear from you!

I'm sorry. I accidentally erased my entire post here (except for the last line) and then I couldn't edit the post. I'll come back later and repost. I just hate trying to type on a Chromebook.

I was going to say, I'm healing as fast as possible. CG, I don't have spunk. I just don't have choices. lol

As for Reddy, I'm almost afraid to go home and see the trailer. He gets in underneath and pushes open a cabinet door on the bottom, since none of them latch.

Usually I give him a handful of peanuts in the morning and he forgets to come in and explore. But I haven't been home to give him his peanuts in more than a month...I think the two of us will have to have a wee chat when I finally get home.

Somebody said, and it's true, that squirrels always act like it's their first day being a squirrel. But I have to admit, he's absolutely entertaining, especially when he's chasing the doves or a rabbit that's three times his size.

Well, it's official. I'm going home on Saturday. I'm spending today and tomorrow getting together all the recipes I found online and making a grocery list.

My neighbor is picking me up at 1 and we'll hit Winco on the way home and I'll stock up, since I'm still barely walking and won't want to go to the store for a while yet.

It's been fun here and it's great to see everyone again! I still miss Princess Fiona and nobody else better be gone when I come back next time, hear?

I will still be down at the library and will post occasionally, though. Y'all take care now!

Uh, guys? I'm not sure I want to ask this, but what happened to Kayelle and RockLobster?

Last edited:
Well, it's official. I'm going home on Saturday. I'm spending today and tomorrow getting together all the recipes I found online and making a grocery list.

My neighbor is picking me up at 1 and we'll hit Winco on the way home and I'll stock up, since I'm still barely walking and won't want to go to the store for a while yet.

It's been fun here and it's great to see everyone again! I still miss Princess Fiona and nobody else better be gone when I come back next time, hear?

I will still be down at the library and will post occasionally, though. Y'all take care now!

Uh, guys? I'm not sure I want to ask this, but what happened to Kayelle and RockLobster?

I'm not sure why Kayelle isn't posting. I'm a bit concerned.

Roch seems to be keeping busy with his new deli. I follow his deli on FB.

Don't be a stranger. Do drop us a note when you get a chance. And I hope you are fully recuperated soon. God bedring (Danish for good bettering).

Back
Top Bottom