Landscaping Etiquette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
My front yard is going to have a complete overhaul.
The city requires that the home owners be responsible for the sidewalks and trees. Had a Landscaping service out yesterday. They spent over 2 hours with me on what my concerns were and what I needed to have done.
I had told them a few trees needed to be trimmed back. Also told them I suspected Termites in one of them. They checked. Sure enough Both trees are fully infested. One in particular, if we get anymore rain or a large truck vibrating from the street that the tree can come down. It sounded hollow. One had live termites found in a test trunk check. The roots of them have not only pushed up the sidewalk, they have cracked them into a tripping hazard.
So the trees will be cut down. Stumps removed everything will be chipped.Area will be cleaned and leveled out.
Then they will be removing the roots from the trees out of the lawn.
Again leveled. Lawn replaced and mowed.
They can't do the sidewalks unit the roots are gone.
They have to pour six huge sections of sidewalk.
I'm not sure how many workers will be here this weekend. Was told it will be done in 1 to 2 days.
It will be in the 80's.
For a complete overhaul like that. Should I buy them lunch?
Keeping them dehydrated is given thing.

What a pain, @Chef Munky. It seems like your new place has been nothing but trouble.

We had to have our roof replaced last September. The contractor said that the crew always made sure that they each had plenty of liquids. I did put out a table with a bid assortment of sandwich fixings: three kinds of breads (the Brioche rolls went fast!), four ir five sliced lunch meats, chips, pickles, condiments. I don't remember what else.

Turned out that almost the entire crew was Hispanic. It would have been less work, and probably cheaper, to put out a slow cooker full of taco meat, flour tortillas, and taco toppings.

🤷‍♀️ I grew up in a world where we always fed workmen but these days I would be inclined to feed volunteers and let paid professionals take care of themselves

I guess the answer is to do what is comfortable for you.

Good luck.

WOW - I can't say for here in Ontario but in Quebec they have what is basically called Full Disclosure. If something like the walk and the trees were your responsibility and you were NOT told, nor was it in the selling contract, you could come back on the previous owners for payment.
Everything is covered - previous damages (ex: roof leaking, basement flooding) and if so - did you fix it, when and how.

My experience it that they would not show up at a job site without a packed lunch, unless there is a near by fast food restaurant or other eatery.
That is the norm around here, too.

When I asked the owner of the company if I could provide lunch, Andrew said that the workers bring their own lunches. But I like to feed people, and we're in a financial situation that allows us to extend generosity. I told him that unless he didn't want it, I would like to put out a lunch table for the crew. The crew was surprised, very appreciative, and that made me happy. I like being happy. :love: And the workers did an excellent job of cleaning up when they were done. ;)

For a big job like that, I think I would provide water, maybe lemonade or Gatorade type drinks in coolers with ice, not tea though as it can be dehydrating, and probably some cold cuts, bread and a couple boxes or 3 of those assorted chips.

CG I completely agree. I did the same when I could.

LOL, and maybe make sure there is a tree that is "sort of" sheltered from view, casually mention no one can see the far end of the garage.
I have had, twice, a casual worker, knock on the door with sweat on his face asking if he could use the washroom. LOL... poor guy - he was desperate! Think he had too much the night before. Ahhh, who was I to deny!

When we had the RV Garage ("shop") built, the first day, the crew disappeared for like 2-3 hours. Looking for lunch. They didn't know they area and/or couldn't find what they wanted? From that day forward, I fed the entire crew. Some days that was 4 guys, some days more. I don't remember all the meals, but I remember one day was sub sandwiches and another was beef burritos. They were all Hispanic and they were equally thankful for either meal...hey, the price was right! But I got rave reviews on anything Mexican I offered. There were BIG compliments. And, the Sales guy made comment on it...and how it made the job go so much faster.

YMMV.

G

P.S. We've done a number of other "updates" to our home. Most of them done by more local contractors. They have preferred to go home for lunch. Or, they simply say, "we have breakfast and dinner, no lunch." We had one contractor that had a kitchen set-up on his truck. Not fancy, but microwave and fridge. So, the crew got a hot lunch. They are all different!

For us, the first clue is if they say they will have a "Honey Pot" delivered (portable outhouse)...if they are doing that, they aren't going home at lunch!

To clear a few things up here. I was told about being responsible for the trees and sidewalks. Negotiations were made and agreed upon to everybody's satisfaction.

With all the rain we had this winter street flooding didn't help the sidewalks then spring came the trees roots really grew. I doubt the previous owners were ever told the trees were infested. They just had to keep them trimmed.
City rules. Now I'm taking their toys away from them.
No more raking leaves come fall. $25.00 total. Twice a month the landscapers will be here to take care of the lawn and whatever else needs done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom