Lamb leg center cut and marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Decades ago, my parents used to buy lamb leg center cuts at the local Navy Exchange. No regular supermarket sold them. They weren't the tenderness cut of lamb, but were very good, not a lot of fat streaking thru them. It's been a long long time since I've had these, but am on a quest to get them. I've emailed some local area specialty butcher stores to see if they can cut them for me. The cuts at 3 major area supermarkets have terrible cuts of lamb. Super small, boney and a lot of fattyness streaking thru it.

Anyways, since there are so many lamb "chops" , I included a link to a picture of my quest and included my simple lamb marinade:

[http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/judging/RetailPractice/L%20Leg%20Center%20Slice.jpg

This will marinate 2 chops. The dried sage really adds something special.

1/2 tablespoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 a squeezed lemon
1/2 a cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper

Marinate 1-3 hours. Broil chops 7-9 minutes each side.

I like to serve it with a baked potato, green beans, salad, roll and mint jelly.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good caslon. copied and saved.

you can go to a halal meat market near me to get the cuts you referenced. you point out a leg in the case and tell them what you want and how thick, and the butcher will take a whole leg (or part from a previous cutting) and throw it on the band saw to give you what is effectively a cross section of the middle to upper part of the leg. they'll cut the legs until just the shanks are left, then package a couple of those together for sale.

see if you can find an ethnic market near you, especially middle eastern.

Last edited:
I've been debating ordering a lamb next spring...it depends on the freezer space available. I have C&P this information so I know what to ask for when asked how I want it cut.

I too love this cut of lamb. I love rib and loin chops, but they are so expensive. The leg slices are usually much cheaper. I have one in my fridge marinating right now in a marinade very similar to your recipe (no sage in mine,-but I am not opposed to the idea!). My favorite way to cook them is outside on the grill, but tonight George F. will cook. It's not a cut often seen in the grocery stores I shop at, but I have noticed that after Easter is a good time to look, as they may be getting rid of lamb legs. I live in Boston now and my mobility is getting limited, so I don't go too far afield. However, a few years ago, I lived in a different city in MA that had a sizeable Greek population, and the supermarkets there would often feature leg slices (AND...Whole lamb heads at Easter!) Never had the urge to buy the head, though.

Back
Top Bottom