Korean Roasted Seaweed - Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I purchased some Roasted Seaweed to use as an occasional garnish. It came in 3 individual rectangular packets, picture showing stacks of seaweed leafs. I thought this was great. I don't use a lot and to have individual packages sounded perfect.

I was very surprised that they were packed in oil and still crispy!

I've only ever used them dry and was wondering why they were in oil. Suggested servings are sushi, rice, garnish and/or a snack.

A snack in oil? Has anyone else used these? If yes, do you have a specific recipe to use with this?

It is a product of Korea.

Forgot the pic! 20220527_110132.jpg

Seaweed roasted in oil - that's a new one to me! Although I'm sure they have it at H-Mart etc. around here.
I like dulse and wakame as snacks right out of the bag, though I guess you could add it to soup. Or a Korean-style sushi roll, which is a bit different than Japanese. I like seaweed in soup, and sometimes pick up frozen kelp blades from my fish co-op.
Tell us what they taste like! Sounds like my kind of snack!

Summer, from my father's side of family, being from the Maritimes, we always had dulse in the house, good snacking! At the time, that is all it was ever used for, at least to my knowledge. But honestly cannot say I would snack on these. Too oily and not salty. :ermm:

karade, so I took another sheet out of the package and Yes! I can roll them! So now I just need the leftover rice and bits and pieces. Not too sure how the rest of the family will go for them, worth a try though.

I'll have to make sure the dipping sauce is perfect to offset the oil it is packaged in. Have no idea what kind of oil it is.

I know I said crispy when describing them earlier. My mistake, not crispy but not saggy soggy. I had to tear pieces off to garnish, it does not crumble. Might be easier to use scissors and cut strips. Or I have an herb scissors, maybe that could do perfect garnish pieces! Love a dual purpose find for a single purpose gadget. Gonna try!

I'll have to make sure the dipping sauce is perfect to offset the oil it is packaged in
A basic Korean dipping sauce can be made 2,4,4, 4. 2 tbsps of sugar, water, soy and rice wine vinegar. You can then add green onion, hot peppers/pepper flakes, fresh garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil.I wouldn´t add mustard.
IF the sauce is still not acidic enough (and I like something with fairly pronounced acidity) I´d say you could probably add a squeeze of lime juice to it - or more rice vinegar.

let us know how it goes!

Now that I'm looking for roasted/oiled Korean seaweed, I saw a few varieties of it at the local grocery store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom