Kombucha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeh, now we're talking, hunt kambutcha. Are they native to the U.P.? I'll give the beast a fighting chance. I'l only use my lethal hands.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just be careful, I hear komboucha is also hunted by vegans.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Aren't we just a silly bunch!:D Reminds me of when we had the DC HotTub, and the shenanigans of past years. Are you listening, Mudbug? The ladies had the hot tub, and the guys camped on the other side of the virtual lake, and would sneek over in the evening to cause friendly mischief.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, I bought a bottle of it at the grocery store today ($3.49). We shared it over ice and it had a strange, hard to describe slightly fizzy yeasty taste. It was interesting and not unpleasant, but we wouldn't go out of our way to purchase it again, and certainly not go through the trouble of making it. Besides, after reading more about making it, I wouldn't take the chances of unsafe contamination.

I made it for a few months. I didn't see any health benefits and taking care of it is the same as having a sourdough starter.

We cook sourdough and I think that's a big differentiator from komboucha.

I did quit making it because I had a skin breakout that couldn't be attributed to anything else. I haven't had anything like it before or since.

I think the health benefits, or lack thereof, depend on your specific space.

Posting from the app.

Gee, Jeni, I'm going to let GF know she has this nasty skin thing going on on her shins and the doctors have no clue whats going on... me thinks its the kombucha! she has two a day.

Sorry to hear that K--!

From everything I've read, not all the bacteria picked up by komboucha is good. Which makes sense.

When I broke out, it was a fresh batch. It didn't seem different than any other - which is one reason I quit making it. I prefer to be able to tell when food/drink has gone off! Or at least know how to keep food from going bad. I don't feel like I have 100% control over air. ?

I have found drinking water and eating leafy green vegetables to be the best way to feel healthy.

Posting from the app.

Just thought I'd add that after the SC and I shared the bottle of store bought kambutcha this afternoon, his stomach didn't feel well later although I was fine. Just an observance.

Target practice, like Andy suggested.

Last edited:
I got a bottle of it a little over a year ago, could not get past that first swallow...

That's my own stance on Kombucha, too.

I've been known to ferment almost anything, and have no fear of yeast or (most) bacteria.

But I also have to enjoy what I'm making and, for me, Kombucha doesn't yet fall into that category. Maybe someday.

Just thought I'd add that after the SC and I shared the bottle of store bought kambutcha this afternoon, his stomach didn't feel well later although I was fine. Just an observance.

Kombucha is a probiotic so the first few times you drink it its normal to have an "off" stomach. That means its working!

It is an acquired taste.

If you ever see water kefir, try that. That's what I make and it's really good. Light, fizzy, fruity.

Last edited:
I just plain don't get this "stuff".
Gut Health.
Probiotics.
Cleansing.
To me, if I eat a well balanced, sensable diet, a wide range of foods with different colors and textures, low carb-high fiber, limit my meat intake,
watch the wine consumption,
all in moderation, (gotta have me some sugar now and again ;) )
I'm good.
This has been my crede for a good portion of my life and the doctor said to me not long ago, "You're going to life a long-healthy life."
Amen.

I just plain don't get this "stuff".
Gut Health.
Probiotics.
Cleansing.
To me, if I eat a well balanced, sensable diet, a wide range of foods with different colors and textures, low carb-high fiber, limit my meat intake,
watch the wine consumption,
all in moderation, (gotta have me some sugar now and again ;) )
I'm good.
This has been my crede for a good portion of my life and the doctor said to me not long ago, "You're going to life a long-healthy life."
Amen.

It's marketing, that's all. Many people are susceptible to the idea that if they just do, eat or drink X, life will be perfect - you'll have more energy, glowing skin, lose weight and become a supermodel! :ROFLMAO:

People complain a lot about Big Food and Big Pharma but fail to realize that Big Organic and Big Health Food use the same marketing techniques with different products.

I wrote a paper on the psychology of marketing in college - there was a *lot* of research available, even back in the '80s. Because of that, I feel like I'm immune to it ;)

Last edited:
Hey I'm into it as it tastes good, but if something tastes good, I have to ask, how can I make it?

Now is this worth the expense as a soft drink? Probably not.

I think after doing some research I could make my own, I'm kind of on the fence, like I can make my own yougurt, but why? I made a batch to prove I could and got bored. I don't eat enough yougurt, and when I want it I can buy it. Good to have in the toolbox though.

Now sourdough, I can make a better loaf than I can buy. So that is worth spending time on.

Back
Top Bottom