Knives get rusting, can they still be used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
not used too long and wasn't kept in perfect condition.

Not too many rust, but some brown spot seen,

can I still use them after good clean with water?

Would any tiny metal pieces get into the food?

A piece of sandpaper will remove the rust. You cannot let water sit on your knives for any length of time. This must be a knife of carbon steel. They rust in a heartbeat if you don't give them proper care and love. ;)

I’ve found and what works for me is some fine steel wool and a little cooking oil, it’s a lot less abrasive and won’t leave scratches.

If tiny little specks of rust. You could try a green, white, or blue pad with a touch of oil. It may be a simple as just a paper towel and oil.

I have one knife that has a small round spot of rust stain that won't come off. It's been that way for years. Hasn't caused any harm so far.

I have some really nice old carbon steel knives I've picked up over the years. I rub them with fine steel wool and mineral oil, take off the brown and leave the black. The patina on some of them is beautiful.

Sure. Rust is ugly but doesn't affect blade performance. I assume you are using carbon steel blades like I do. Shake some Bar Keeper's Friend on the blade and clean the rust with a Dobie or sponge. If you have carbon steel blades you should allow the knives to develop a patina. Then they will stop rusting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom