Kitchen Compost Holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
For those that have these containers for composting, whether by choice or by law, here is a neat way to line your container.

I suppose some of you already know this but I only learned it early this summer from my neighbour. Not buying composting bags any more! They do work though, I can vouch for that, I just find that re-using the flyers more eco-friendly.

Due to the way I load my pictures I'll have to make several posts.

#1 is my container & a couple of sheets from a weekly flyer.

Attachments

• 20190919_120929.jpg
    20190919_120929.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
#2 - Fold the sheet in half on the diagonal, creating a large triangle.

#3 - Fold the outside points into the centre.

Attachments

• 20190919_121015.jpg
    20190919_121015.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190919_121048.jpg
    20190919_121048.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
#4 - Turn down half of the top triangle to the front.

#5 - Then fold the other half to the back.

Attachments

• 20190919_121152.jpg
    20190919_121152.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190919_121325.jpg
    20190919_121325.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
#6 - Place in your container, open up and push to edges. Viola! Love it!

Of course all this is based on having the same size containers that we do here in Canada! ;)

Meant to post this a couple of months ago, just getting another thing off my to do list! :LOL:

Attachments

• 20190919_121435.jpg
    20190919_121435.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 178
Composting bags? I didn't know there was such a thing. I just put the scraps in the container. Mine is stainless steel and looks like this. What is yours made of?
2019-09-23-17-46-49.jpg

I guess this sort of depends on if you are composting at home or if the city is collecting material to compost. My city does, but only for the single family homes, not for condos or apartment buildings. grr

I guess this sort of depends on if you are composting at home or if the city is collecting material to compost. My city does, but only for the single family homes, not for condos or apartment buildings. grr
I've never heard of a city doing that. What do they use for collection?

Dragnlaw is in a rural area, so it seems unlikely that it's being collected by a municipality.

Last edited:
I've never heard of a city doing that. What do they use for collection?

Dragnlaw is in a rural area, so it seems unlikely that it's being collected by a municipality.

I didn't figure Dragnlaw had municipal compost collection. ;)

Brown, wheeled bins for compost, I think the city hands them out They do in Montreal. They collect from residential buildings with eight or fewer units in some parts of town. They are still rolling out the program.

Here's a link that shows pix of the bins that Montreal hands out to residents. Ville de Montréal - Borough Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce - Food waste collection

Unfortunately our town just issued these plastic containers (for in the house) for compost collection and larger (albeit no where near a regular size garbage can) for curb side. I'd already purchased mine a few years ago but compost is right beside my manure pile. I don't take it to the road.

Many big cities in Ontario do as do many municipalities in Montreal.

We have 3 types of garbage trucks - regular domestic garbage, recyclable and now compost trucks. Each municipality has their own specific days for certain types of garbage.

Ours keep changing the days so often I have to make notes on my calendar and even have put notes on my phone... :mad: Luckily though - being alone means if I miss a day I'm not going to drown in garbage. LOL I only ever put my recycle out maybe once a month, usually every other. Regular garbage at least once a month.

To take it even further.. garbage containers are colour coded - and they MUST be used, not allowed to use or create your own containers. These containers are lifted by the trucks - so no extra garbage men on the trucks. Regular containers will depend on the municipality, mine is black with a green lid. Recycle is blue, Compost is brown. They are supplied by the city but replacements will be out of your pocket.

I didn't realize you (Dragn') would have municipal compost collection. But, I did read DDO's web page about it and they compost stuff that is not recommended for backyard composting. Apparently all the landfills on the Island of Montreal are going to stop taking organic waste, because they are getting too full.

This is all very interesting but I don't have a garden, so no need for compost. So far as I know, there's no municipal pick up for same in this neck of the woods. Everyone here has a sink garbage disposal and that's what we do, right or wrong.
Now, when I was a little kid, we kept a galvanized bucket with a tight fitting lid outside for garbage to be picked up, but that went away with sink garbage disposers.

Taxy, Our compost collection will take meats/bone/fats which, as you've said, home composts will/should not use. Both my neighbour and I have our own garden composts and don't put those in them... have enough problem with raccoons/etc as it is.

I'm not sure but I believe their (city compost) idea is that they can handle those things due to just the sheer volume of leaf/branch compost they collect as well.

I take issue in that they have specified we 'purchase' special brown bags to be used, they won't accept the biodegradable plastic ones. I found they decomposed readily in my manure pile.

Come winter, when the chickens can't get to grass, most of my compost material goes to them.

I just use a cheap 10 gallon aluminum stock pot to hold compost. We dump it in our pile and then rinse the container out before filling it up again. I don't have any use for a liner in my system. Still, that's a clever system you have there to make a homemade liner.

Originally I carried the bag to the compost while the container rinsed and drained. I found it smelly and stained the plastic, never really getting rid of the smell.

This way I carry the entire container to the compost to dump. There is no smell after, the paper absorbs the liquids, the paper is easily composted into the pile.

My compost is kitchen garbage, grass, goose/chicken manure. Not all the grass goes there nor the bird manure, the majority of it goes into the main manure pile.

I use whatever empty lidded can is at hand. Once a week I feed the scraps to the redworms in an indoor bin. If the bagged leaked I just toss that can and use a new one. The worms feed the fish, Maybelle and Sara, in the aquaponic herb garden and produce compost for the indoor potted plants.
IMG_20190924_085345549.jpg

I used to have redworms too. Fed them all my scraps, but did not have fish or chickens at that time.

Don't remember what happened to them. It was about 2 moves and 20 years back.

Back
Top Bottom