Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to laugh when I saw that Maxwell House photo with TASTES AS GOOD AS IT SMELLS. When I was young, I would always open the large cans of coffee for my parents (both black coffee addicts), and I loved that smell! Yet I hated coffee! I only had a French press (mainly to make some coffee, to use in recipes) until years later, when I met a lady who had to have her coffee, like I have to have my tea! The only way I can drink coffee is to make it into a dessert - add a LOT of sugar, and some heavy cream to it! Still, my favorite way to have coffee is in some dessert with chocolate.

I've always read that coffee is an acquired taste. I believe it's true. I don't believe it is something you pick up, take a big swallow and say - of WOW this is great! give me more!

As I remember back to the late 50's and into the 60's, other than cafe's etc. around us it was mostly instant. Brewing coffee was saved for the weekends and/or guests. Usually there was too much going on after supper to bother with brewing a pot.

When I first started drinking coffee, I could not abide brewed, only drank instant. Then slowly over the years, I suddenly discovered that I really only liked brewed! and now just recently I have found that I rather like both.

go figure....

...By expensive do you mean you don't want to spend money or do you mean good espresso is expensive to start with so you just want to be in the middle of the road there? :D
I mean I don't want to spend $$ on a Breville Barista Express. :oops: Or a Victoria Arduino Venus Bar Volumetric Espresso Maker. :shock: (Darn thing looks like it should be sitting in the front row of "Mystery Science Theatre 3000") Our Krups probably cost around $50 bucks when we bought it decades ago. Seems like similar models are around the same price ages later. There seem to be many options in the $60 to $120 dollar range. Do you use/have a favorite of your own?

...I probably should switch to some sort of single cup contraption.
Himself's college "coffee cone" is still in use - since 1966! He was his own barista before the term was popular.

20240330_012508.jpg

I have a friend who has a fairly automatic Jura espresso maker that also grinds the coffee. I think it cost about CAD 2,000. That might be worthwhile, if you drink a lot of espresso, otherwise, get something semi-automatic that doesn't cost as much as that Breville. If you can find a reputable espresso machine store, go there and talk to them. If you only want an espresso once in a while, a Bialetti, stove top mocha maker is plenty good enough. I have a Mokita espresso maker. I really like it. It was a wedding present. It needs to go for maintenance. Personally, I probably wouldn't consider buying an espresso machine that wasn't made in Italy.

Himself's college "coffee cone" is still in use - since 1966! He was his own barista before the term was popular.

View attachment 68655
I had a pot size ceramic Melitta cone, similar to that, years ago!

These days I use a pot and basket from a defunct Mr. Coffee machine.

It works just fine but I’m trying to be more mindful of safety as I try to maintain my independence. 😉

I’ve seen a couple of electric dorm room travel mug coffee makers that shut themselves off. I’ll probably opt for something similar.

I have a friend who has a fairly automatic Jura espresso maker that also grinds the coffee. I think it cost about CAD 2,000. That might be worthwhile, if you drink a lot of espresso, otherwise, get something semi-automatic that doesn't cost as much as that Breville. If you can find a reputable espresso machine store, go there and talk to them. If you only want an espresso once in a while, a Bialetti, stove top mocha maker is plenty good enough. I have a Mokita espresso maker. I really like it. It was a wedding present. It needs to go for maintenance. Personally, I probably wouldn't consider buying an espresso machine that wasn't made in Italy.
Another vote for a simple little Bialetti!

il_570xN.2774764425_ihsn.jpg

If you want frothy/foamy milk you can shake a small amount of fresh milk in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid for 30-60 seconds, remove lid, zap in the microwave for 30-60 seconds to heat the milk and set the foam. Spoon/pour foam over espresso and create an artistic design.

Last edited:
$25.00 us ($38.00 cdn) got me a Proctor-Silex 12 cup. On/off button. Works for me.
When the last one broke it had clock, timer, etc. When I realized I had 4 clocks going in the kitchen, decided I really didn't need and had rarely used the timer - so no bells and whistles this time.
I make an 8 cup pot, leave it on for a couple of hours, turn it off (when I remember), drink the rest the next day heated in the micro.
Again... works for me.

I have the Jura E6. I don't use it for espresso, but it makes THE best cup of coffee! One programs it to make it just the way one wants it. Push a button and there's a perfect cup of coffee with the crema on top. For variety, we choose different beans...:ROFLMAO:

I mean I don't want to spend $$ on a Breville Barista Express. :oops: Or a Victoria Arduino Venus Bar Volumetric Espresso Maker. :shock: (Darn thing looks like it should be sitting in the front row of "Mystery Science Theatre 3000") Our Krups probably cost around $50 bucks when we bought it decades ago. Seems like similar models are around the same price ages later. There seem to be many options in the $60 to $120 dollar range. Do you use/have a favorite of your own?
I currently have a Gaggia Classic Pro (in red) that is heavily modded. I put in the PID, pressure gauge, dimmer mod and the OPV mod. It leaks though and I have a new machine on order. I will post about that one when it arrives in 6 weeks or so.

20240330_134702.jpg

Another vote for a simple little Bialetti!

il_570xN.2774764425_ihsn.jpg

If you want frothy/foamy milk you can shake a small amount of fresh milk in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid for 30-60 seconds, remove lid, zap in the microwave for 30-60 seconds to heat the milk and set the foam. Spoon/pour foam over espresso and create an artistic design.
We actually have two of those. One makes two cups of espresso at a time and the other one makes four. We usually bring one of them when travelling. They are handy when the power goes out and we are using the portable butane burner to heat water and stuff.

The web site said 6 week lead time. When I ordered it said 7 week lead time. Time from order to shipment was 19 days. This was supposed to be in depot tomorrow (it shipped LTL freight). Arrived at the depot last night and this morning I arranged for it to be delivered on Friday. Kathleen called and said it was on the porch about 10 minutes after I talked to the dispatcher.

The newest kitchen toy, Sofia.

20240417_181947.jpg

Kathleen is insistent the whole reason is to make hot cocoa for her.

The web site said 6 week lead time. When I ordered it said 7 week lead time. Time from order to shipment was 19 days. This was supposed to be in depot tomorrow (it shipped LTL freight). Arrived at the depot last night and this morning I arranged for it to be delivered on Friday. Kathleen called and said it was on the porch about 10 minutes after I talked to the dispatcher.

The newest kitchen toy, Sofia.

View attachment 68898

Kathleen is insistent the whole reason is to make hot cocoa for her.
Frank got me a hot cocoa maker. It also does so.e things with coffee.

Gotta love Amazon. Bought some Oven Gloves. Received them about 5pm today. Will mail them back tomorrow. Were great until I tried to get my fingers into the fingers!

Might be more expensive at Canadian Tire but worth it to try on instantly.

Every time I mention Canadian Tire to US folks, I wonder what they think. Sometimes I do get questions or bewildered reactions. Canadian tire really doesn't sound like the place to buy kitchen stuff. It struck me as odd when I first came to Canada, but now its just normal, that you can get all sorts of stuff there.

Yeah, I know taxy. But I guess it's the same as Home Hardware? but more car oriented, LOL. I remember when Canadian Tire was just mostly car stuff and they started slowly bringing in other stuff, sports, camping, plumbing, electric, kitchen, cleaning. They only thing they don't carry is lumber, gyprock, roofing, or large appliances, etc. They do carry small office fridges, small appliances, stuff like that, but not the big ones.
They are more expensive for many things - but when they have specials - they're great! often up to 70% off.

Every time I mention Canadian Tire to US folks, I wonder what they think. Sometimes I do get questions or bewildered reactions. Canadian tire really doesn't sound like the place to buy kitchen stuff. It struck me as odd when I first came to Canada, but now its just normal, that you can get all sorts of stuff there.
It surprised me at first, so I looked it up. It's funny that they haven't changed the name since adding all those items that aren't car-related. Years ago, Walmart just carried groceries. As the built bigger stores and started carrying clothes, electronics, etc., they called them Walmart Superstores.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom