Kitchen Accident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, mine didn't hurt at all! Took about a third off the side of my little finger with the mandolin. It was my right hand and try as I might I could not, with my left hand, get bandage tight enough. In the end called the neighbour to help.
Little finger still has a very noticeable slant to it, like someone got carried away with a nail file. :rolleyes:

I have been watching daily videos on Facebook of his preparing simple meals with what's on hand. They're only 3-5 minutes long but there's still a lot there.
I love those little snippets. I like how leaves the recipes open to whatever you have on hand. I remember attending a Q and A a the Newport Food and Wine Festival a few years back , with Him and Martha Stewart. I remember them asking Martha where she gets her ingredients from. Her reply was something like ' I get all my ingredients from the best farmers markets and the freshest ingredients, top quality ....' . They then turned to Jacques and asked him the same question. He replied ' I just go down the block to Bishop's or Stop and Shop, and get the pre cut vegges. Why not use them as your sous chef ...' Neither one of them blinked an eye, but it was like the perfect dichotomy. She was more focussed on emphasizing the quality of ingredients, and he was more focussed on what you can do with them. No one is wrong or right, but it was like two polar extremes. I kinda laughed inside. And not trying to knock Martha Stewart, but more to applaud Jacques for being down to earth , and making things attainable for the home cook.

@Andy M. , Remember the time I took my finger tip off with a wye peeler? Had no idea it could be that sharp. Took a long time for that to heal.
I cannot get my wife to understand its a part of being in the kitchen. Its going to happen sooner or later and a sharp knife removes much more flesh. Safe as whole, but very little wiggle room when a finger tip is under the blade.
I have not used that wye peeler since.

@Andy M. , Remember the time I took my finger tip off with a wye peeler? Had no idea it could be that sharp. Took a long time for that to heal.
I cannot get my wife to understand its a part of being in the kitchen. Its going to happen sooner or later and a sharp knife removes much more flesh. Safe as whole, but very little wiggle room when a finger tip is under the blade.
If my knife had been dull, it would have skidded down the fingernail and hit the cutting board. As I had just sharpened it, it cut the nail off instead.

Or, you could look at it this way. As it was sharp it made a clean cut.

Had it been dull, I rather imagine it would still have cut you a grabbing cut on your nail and a ragged tear as you pulled your hand away.

I say this, Andy, because from the sounds of it, your knife may have been dull to your standards, but probably still sharp enough to cause damage.
Is my guess right? I don't think you'd let your knives ever get that dull. LOL!

No that I'm glad you got hurt, but I thought it was just me. I saw those peelers all over the place, and figured I should have one since everyone else did. I used it 2 or 3 times, and each time I skinned another part of my hand. That was it, never used one again.

I don't like the wye peelers either. I tried one at a friend's house. It was the only kind she had. I hated it because, it felt clumsy. Luckily no injuries. I feel vindicated from hearing other people's experience with them.

I don't like the wye peelers either. I tried one at a friend's house. It was the only kind she had. I hated it because, it felt clumsy. Luckily no injuries. I feel vindicated from hearing other people's experience with them.
I agree. It felt clumsy ( maybe cause I had only ever used the traditional peelers). And I am clumsy, or at least that's what my wife says, so it was aa no win situation for me.

Back
Top Bottom