Key Lime Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Made this the other day and it was not bad, not great but not bad. The ketchup didn't do anything for me, I should have substituted something else for it. I also eliminated the liquid smoke.

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh key lime juice or Persian lime juice
2 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
4 pounds meaty chicken wing pieces, joints separated and tips discarded (or save tips for making stock), about 24 pieces

1. Marinade:
In a small bowl, combine ketchup, key lime juice, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, and sweet onion. Stir until well-combined. (Yields about 1-1/2 cups of marinade.)

2. Place chicken wing pieces into a large freezer zip-top bag. Pour in the marinade, squeeze out the air, and seal. Turn bag over and over until chicken wings are coated with the marinade. Refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 325 F. Place wings on a baking rack nestled inside a baking pan. Bake about 1-1/2 hours, basting with boiled marinade sauce during the last half hour.

4. While chicken wings are cooking, bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan. Let boil for five minutes. Thirty minutes before wings are done, baste chicken wings with boiled marinade sauce, and continue cooking until wings are tender.

5. Yield: 8 appetizer or 3 entree servings

Nick,

First I want to thank you for your icon. I also want to thank you for the recipe, I love a good chicken wing although I wish they were cheaper these days. I may try it out this weekend as it looks awesome.

I often start a marinade with Lime and Honey and maybe olive oil. I started using honey in place of sugar when I realized I could get a huge bottle at Sams club for 9 bucks.

Take care,
Bryan

Key Lime Chicken Thighs Recipe
Ingredients
• 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (6 ounces each)
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 to 3 tablespoons key lime juice or lime juice
• 12 to 16 drops hot pepper sauce
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Directions
• Place chicken in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter; sprinkle with lime juice and pepper sauce. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle evenly over chicken.
• Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 4 servings.

Rhys15 said:
Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Directions
• Place chicken in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter; sprinkle with lime juice and pepper sauce. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle evenly over chicken.
• Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 4 servings.

Now if we could get you to grill these instead of baking them you may have something here!

Nick Prochilo said:
Rhys15 said:
Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Directions

Now if we could get you to grill these instead of baking them you may have something here!
Hmmmm?
Looks interesting. When I round up everything I need, I just might give this a try.
Never tried the recipe before, so to give it a fair chance, the only thing I'd change is to use my smoker instead of the indor oven, and use a foil pan instead of the baking dish.
Depending on the results, the second time I try it, grilled could be substituted for the bakng. Still need to figure out how to do the next to last step
Place chicken in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter; sprinkle with lime juice and pepper sauce. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle evenly over chicken.
on the grill, but if the first results say "try me again" I'll figure something out. We may have a winner here. ;)

BOB

I do a chicken dish on the grill where I use a glass baking dish in the 400° area and it works fine indirect. I wouldn't see why a 9 X 13 wouldn't fit on a OT? Just my thought if that is the concern here, if not sorry for interrupting :mrgreen:

bbquzz said:
I do a chicken dish on the grill where I use a glass baking dish in the 400° area and it works fine indirect. I wouldn't see why a 9 X 13 wouldn't fit on a OT? Just my thought if that is the concern here, if not sorry for interrupting :mrgreen:
Brain freeze here...what's a "OT"?

The main reason I use a foil pan instead of a glass (or non-glass) 9 x 13 is for clean-up reasons. I'm kinda lazy and the foil sure is simpler to "clean-up" the mess.

Now, if I'm baking with less smoke for flavors, I'll use that glass pan any time. Doesn't realy make sense, but it's the way I think, I guess. My indoor oven is used to store my Cast Iron, and isn't readily accessable, so my "oven" is wood fired and outdors. ;)

BOB

Bob In Fla. said:
bbquzz said:
Brain freeze here...what's a "OT"?

The main reason I use a foil pan instead of a glass (or non-glass) 9 x 13 is for clean-up reasons. I'm kinda lazy and the foil sure is simpler to "clean-up" the mess.

Now, if I'm baking with less smoke for flavors, I'll use that glass pan any time. Doesn't realy make sense, but it's the way I think, I guess. My indoor oven is used to store my Cast Iron, and isn't readily accessable, so my "oven" is wood fired and outdors. ;)

BOB

One Touch (as in a Weber One Touch Silver or Gold)--- Being retired I have more time and less money so I can do the cleanup so I don't use foil. Nick Prochilo would like the way you roll, he likes to keep cleanup efficient and minimal.

Sounds yummy folks..thanks for the recipes. Now a person can just cook direct on tinfoil on this kinda deal. Make a little boat out of it etc. Po foils version of Sams pans I guess. Cleanup is a breeze on that one.

Back
Top Bottom